Apollo

KotH Apollo A2

Lena1995

L1: Registered
Oct 20, 2017
Apollo - An in-dev KOTH map with a space theme.

A KOTH map currently in development. I had to restart development at least 3 times because I wasn't happy with the results, but now I believe it's at a good release point.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Welcome to TF2Maps! I recommend taking screenshots of your map- if nothing else, at least add a thumbnail. Screenshots are the #1 way to get people interested in your map. They're certainly not required, though.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Some feedback:
20171020144833_1.jpg
The fact that the spawnroom has a single exit that opens into a corridor may make spawncamping easier. Having a health and ammo pack right behind me will make it even easier. I still recommend adding a second spawn exit and/or opening up this corridor to make it easier to push out of spawn in the event of a spawncmap.

20171020145214_1.jpg
It's very easy to get outside the map. Use clip brushes to keep players where you want.

20171020145346_1.jpg
There's an invisible wall keeping me from moving through this window, even though I can stand in the window...

20171020150603_1.jpg
Also here. That's not to say you shouldn't use clip brushes; just make sure there's something to indicate that you can't go that way. Valve maps use cliffs, walls, and props to indicate out-of-bounds areas.

20171020145544_1.jpg
The layout of your map is very linear. Although it appears you're trying to use the Viaduct formula, it's not implemented excellently as there is, essentially, only one route between spawn and the point for players to take, due to the mid courtyard (bottom left) that all players are forced to walk through. Let's look at Viaduct:
upload_2017-10-20_15-17-14.png
Notice that there are 3 distinct routes leading from spawn to the point, and at no point between spawn and the point do the routes ever merge or come together. This provides a variety of ways to approach and attack the point and prevent the enemy from denying access to the point.

20171020145714_1.jpg
You've got a lot of unnecessary space and brush faces under your map. This is sloppy mapping and can lead to optimization issues down the road, and it also extends your compile time. I recommend deleting the bottom skybox brush and sealing with the floor of your map- it's the most optimized way to seal your map.

20171020152229_1.jpg
Add some more light in this area, it's pretty dark.

Some other general feedback:
-Your skybox doesn't match the theme of your map (the moon doesn't have clouds). Although this isn't overly important in an alpha, it may confuse players. rd_asteroid didn't use a 2D skybox, but instead made its own in the 3D skybox using stars (you can see how they did it in the decompiled BSP), or you can use a custom skybox like this one.
-Your map has very little health and ammo. Add some more so players don't feel starved for health.

Last edited:

Lena1995

Oct 20, 2017
Thanks for the feedback; I'll definitely keep it in mind for the next version, especially the layouts. As of now, I'm working on expanding the base(s) to accommodate the new hallway, and hopefully making the outside areas more interesting.

Last edited:

Squablo

Jul 29, 2017
Along the same lines as what Da Spud Lord said about the clipping: make sure you also indicate what areas kill you. While a lot of it is straightforward (fall into space and you die, makes sense), there are points like the white platforms around the point that look like you should be able to jump on them until you try. That could be very frustrating to people, and also wouldn't be used by people to get environment kills since they don't know it's there.

Also, I think you can see too much from the top of the ramp near mid:
20171022015913_1.jpg
Then again, that area is very exposed, so that might actually work.

Other than that, everything else I have was already brought up by Da Spud Lord.

Lena1995

Oct 20, 2017
After a testing period on the TF2Maps server, and discovering several errors, I've decided to recreate most of the map from scratch.