Animations, 3d skybox, wheee!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by BrokenTripod, Aug 29, 2009.

1. BrokenTripod

BrokenTripod L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    So I figured I should ask first before putting a bunch of effort into thinking about how parts of my map would work:

I just checked the models used in the badwater explosion and they're all 1:1 scale, so I was wondering if putting animations in the 3dskybox would require additional work for people's computers while playing the map? (I'm not 100% certain how the 3d skybox makes things 16x larger, which is why I ask)

The animation would be around 10 seconds and would only play at the end of a round.

Uh, thanks for any help/assistance.

2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    of course it wouldn't be more work. That's the whole point of the 3D skybox, it's easier to render them and it makes it look bigger. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, the camera just scales it up 16 times.

BUT, skybox stuff is always rendered BEHIND world geometry. So it would work fine for something like fireworks, but wouldn't be seen if it was a pit explosion like that the end of a pl map.
    (Or you might see some of it if inside the pit is skybox tex, but you'll probably get weird overlap and clipping)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Peterm

Peterm Banned

Positive Ratings:
    lolz b4 i read this i thought you were making a animated skybox texture :p

5. Vig

Vig L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    The problem I think you'll run into is that the skybox requires objects to be created at the 1:16 scale. You can't put models in the skybox that are 1:1 without them being enormous and 16x bigger than everything else in the skybox.

There are special tiny props normally tagged with "skybox" that are 16x smaller.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. BrokenTripod

BrokenTripod L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I'm not planning on using the pit explosion at the end of PL maps. The idea is to create the illusion of a level that moves (seen through windows in the stage before) when an area is captured. The world geometry that the skybox overlaps would not be rendered, so I shouldn't have a problem with the 3dskybox rendering over the world geometry.

Thanks everyone for the help! (This can be closed now)