An interesting problem with cubemaps.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by emeraldscorpion, Dec 14, 2009.

1. emeraldscorpion

emeraldscorpion L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've been tackling this issue with my map for a couple months now. Whenever I try to build cubemaps, I must be doing something wrong, because I continue to get errors.
    I use these commands from the wiki:
    mat_specular 0
    buildcubemaps
    mat_specular 1
    disconnect
    sv_cheats 1
    mat_reloadallmaterials
    sv_cheats 0
    I've compiled in HDR, and built cubemaps in both HDR and not-HDR, but I still get the same purple/black checkerboard patterns when I test it on a server. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Here's some screens.

2. Daedryon

Daedryon L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Do you have separate entities around your map in every open area, called "env_cubemap"?

Wherever there's an open area that's not cut off from anything, you need an env_cubemap. 1 per open area.

The instant an area becomes cut off, or let's say you have a separate room you can only teleport to, you need a env_cubemap for that separate room.

If you haven't added them, add some env_cubemap Entities, then try the commands.

Of course, I'm not sure if that's your problem.

3. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    Did you change the map's file name since compiling cubemaps?

4. x6herbius

aa x6herbius

Positive Ratings:
    What I'd recommend doing (works for me):

Start up the map.
    mat_specular 0
    buildcubemaps
    Disconnect.

Options -> Turn HDR off.
    Start up the map.
    buildcubemaps
    Disconnect.

Options -> Turn HDR back on.
    Quit the game,

Restart the game.
    Start up the map.

Cubemaps should display correctly, unless of course you have no env_cubemaps in anyway. You may also want to put "mat_specular 1" into your autoexec, since once you've set it to 0 the game seems to like to keep it that way.

5. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
  6. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Really? when i restart the game automatically sets mat_specular to 1.

7. x6herbius

aa x6herbius

Positive Ratings:
    Exactly the opposite here. :)

8. emeraldscorpion

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, I have env_cubemaps in every room, and still get the problem, unfortunately.
    No, I haven't changed the map name.
    I'll try x6herbius's method, and then I'll look into that toolbar thing Political Gamer gave me.

9. emeraldscorpion

Positive Ratings:
    I hate to necro my own thread, but could this problem be caused by a leak in the map?

10. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
  11. emeraldscorpion

Positive Ratings:
    All it seemed to do was give me an interface to more easily build cubemaps. It didn't fix the purply problem. :(

I did get an idea in my head though... I think part of my map is poorly built, and am wondering if rebuilding it (to ensure NO leaks) could help fix it?

12. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Strange, I don't think leaks break cubemaps and you did every thing the the guide told you to do?

13. emeraldscorpion

Positive Ratings:
    I just downloaded the file and stuck it in tf... I didn't see a guide.

14. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    OK Open up your map and then open the console and click help in the menu and it will tell you what you need to do.

15. Undies

Undies L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Are you trying to use a custom skybox texture? or perhaps one that doesn't exist?
    If you've tried everything else posted here, that's all I can think that might cause this

16. emeraldscorpion

Positive Ratings:
    Didn't seem to help any.

I followed all the instructions, but it still is broken. I haven't tried changing the skybox yet, but all the skyboxes I've tried are valve skyboxes, so that shouldn't be the problem...

17. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    All that really does is execute the commands he's already using.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. emeraldscorpion

Positive Ratings:
    Exactly, that's why I didn't think it would help originally. It will be pretty useful though, as soon as I solve my problem anyway.

I also want to point out that when I use the cubemap building commands, it works on MY computer. As soon as I upload it and have somebody download it to test it out though, it fails. I'm friends with the leaders of one server in particular who have been helpful in letting me test my map, and thus far, every time I try to join their server when it's currently running my map, TF2 gives me the error: "Your map is not the same as the map on the server." I don't know if that means anything, but perhaps there's something wrong during the uploading process?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  19. Dr. KillPatient

Dr. KillPatient L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Building cubemaps counts as a change to the bsp (I think) so that may be why you're getting that message; if you haven't built cubemaps again since putting it on the server something's definitely up with the map. There can't be any leaks for cubemaps to work entirely properly (though they shouldn't cause this even with a leak), and remember that too many cubemaps can cause problems as well. Try remaking that area and see what happens.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  20. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Make sure the BSP isn't set to read-only.