An interesting problem with cubemaps.

emeraldscorpion

L1: Registered
Oct 22, 2009
Building cubemaps counts as a change to the bsp (I think) so that may be why you're getting that message; if you haven't built cubemaps again since putting it on the server something's definitely up with the map. There can't be any leaks for cubemaps to work entirely properly (though they shouldn't cause this even with a leak), and remember that too many cubemaps can cause problems as well. Try remaking that area and see what happens.

I didn't know that too many cubemaps can cause problems... :blushing:

I'll try fixing that, and see if anything changes.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the bsp isn't set to read only.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I'd like to chime in: When you build cubemaps, you are most definitely changing the BSP file... At least under normal operation.

TF2 takes six mini-screenshots from each env_cubemap location, puts those six into a special VTF file, and packs that VTF file into the BSP with a special name that contains the X/Y/Z coordinates of the place pictures were taken from.

Last edited:

NoodleCollie

Stoat fiend
aa
Jul 30, 2009
So, to establish certainty, are you or are you not doing this:

- Compiling the map
- Switching HDR on
- Switching mat_specular off
- Running buildcubemaps
- Disconnecting from the server
- Switching HDR off
- Re-making a server
- Running buildcubemaps
- Switching HDR on
- Switching mat_specular on
- Restarting TF2
- Checking the cubemaps work correctly
- Then and ONLY then sumbitting the map for an upload to a server

This method works every time for me.

Last edited:

emeraldscorpion

Oct 22, 2009
Hmm... I don't think too many cubemaps is the problem...
So, to establish certainty, are you or are you not doing this:

- Compiling the map
- Switching HDR on
- Switching mat_specular off
- Running buildcubemaps
- Switching HDR off
- Re-making a server
- Running buildcubemaps
- Switching HDR on
- Switching mat_specular on
- Restarting TF2
- Checking the cubemaps work correctly
- Then and ONLY then sumbitting the map for an upload to a server

This method works every time for me.
- Swit

Yesh, I have followed these instructions to the letter. Thus far, it hasn't worked.

emeraldscorpion

Oct 22, 2009
When I load up the map using "Create Server" in TF2, the cubemaps display correctly. When I go to join the game on a server whose owners are kind enough to let me test my map on it, it kicks me from the game and says MY version of the map is different from the server's. When I try to download the map from here (where I uploaded it), and play on the server, it lets me in, but cubemaps are broken again... Is winrar breaking the .bsp or something?

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
try

mat_reloadallmaterials

right before you do the last disconnect.

emeraldscorpion

Oct 22, 2009
try

mat_reloadallmaterials

right before you do the last disconnect.

Thanks, but I do that already... I've honestly tried everything here, and everything I can think of, but nothing has worked. Maybe I should try contacting valve...

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
It's almost as if it's not packing the cubemaps into the BSP, but instead dumping them into your tf/ directory, so that once you upload to another server (that uses sv_pure to reject the client content) the cubemaps are missing...

Perhaps try opening the BSP with GCFScape and looking for the cubemap VTFs?

emeraldscorpion

Oct 22, 2009
Here's what gcfscape gives me. I assume those are the cubemap texture files?

emeraldscorpion

Oct 22, 2009
Well, it would appear that pakrat saves the day. I wasn't using pakrat before, because I had no custom textures, but pakratting it has bewilderingly solved my conundrum! My map works now!
Here's hoping it doesn't break again!

Cheers!
emerald

Dr. ROCKZO

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jul 25, 2009
So you must of not been packing the textures correctly. Well how were packing them before?

emeraldscorpion

Oct 22, 2009
Winrar. I simply zipped the .bsp and uploaded it. That's what I was told to do anyway...
Funny part is, I still have to redownload the map from where I uploaded it to in order to play on a server running the map...

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
It seems I've recently run into the same problem "map differs from server", apparently it was also the cubemaps? I still do not quite understand what exactly caused it, though. Is there a limit in the number of env_cubemap entities you may have, for example?