AMC #3 Showcase

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Pretty neat, I just think it was a wee bit too fast. If I weren't already familiar with all the maps I think it would have been an unintelligible blur of "whoa- wai- what was- oh m-"

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
The movie fits almost perfectly to "Fanfare for the Common Man".

Edit: Start about a minute in. Both of the first two explosions (vector fire, cornfield water) both occur on the cymbals. Or click here and listen to the first crash of the Vector explosion. With a slight adjustment it'll hit the last explosion too...

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
<Woof> Icarus: Jack Riguel's video was awesome
<Woof> Icarus: it was fast paced, exciting, and showed some of the more dynamic aspects of maps
<Woof> Icarus: and he synced it with the music!
<Woof> Icarus: awesome!

Jack Riguel

Jul 19, 2009
Pretty neat, I just think it was a wee bit too fast. If I weren't already familiar with all the maps I think it would have been an unintelligible blur of "whoa- wai- what was- oh m-"

The original "scripted" idea was to give each map 20 seconds, along with a "climatic moment" that would be shown in a quick recap. (almost 6 minutes) After spending a good day recording and smoothing (on reflection I probably should have just used garry's mod) I found that only about 10-12 seconds of film from each map would work (either do to demo errors or useless extended footage that didn't really progress anywhere).

I also realized that more then anything I wanted people to not use the film as their guide for voting. I wanted to simply make a showcase these maps, sort-of like a trailer tease, that will encourage people to look into the maps for themselves. In then end, each segment was given about 3-4 seconds.

I agree though, I feel like it's a little too rushed. Which leads into this:

i couldnt see it with the volume up as im at work. but if you can get some kind of music with it that is in the public domain, valve might put it up on their blog.

I actually didn't think of that. Through some quick rummaging in the Internet Archives I found a CC song that's Public Domain and I believe will work very nicely. (also contains 99.9% less accordion.) I'll see about making a extended version using this, hopefully it'll also help those international folk who couldn't see this one.

I do find it a little perplexing that a French band has copywright issues in Germany. :/
Thanks to eerieone for dropboxing a file though, I'll update the OP with the link. I'll also see about getting it up on wegame again, since the first time it didn't want to upload it for some reason.

Edit: [ame="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015998"]The tf2maps.net AMC #3 Showcase - Steam Users' Forums[/ame] Let's see what comes of this. I also linked Engineer's miniweb as well.

Last edited:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I'd suggest making the transitions between each map a bit more obvious. In some places I'm not sure if it's a scene change inside a map versus a new offering without glancing at the titles.

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
FreeLance(^_-)FoX: Jack Riguel's video was awesome
FreeLance(^_-)FoX: it was fast paced, exciting, and showed some of the more dynamic aspects of maps
FreeLance(^_-)FoX: and he synced it with the music!
FreeLance(^_-)FoX: awesome!

Funny, Icarus I was just saying the same thing!

Seriously, we need to get Valve to do a blog post with this as the lead-in and then the contest pages. SUCH a sick video!

Jack Riguel

Jul 19, 2009
Seriously, we need to get Valve to do a blog post with this as the lead-in and then the contest pages. SUCH a sick video!

[...] but if you can get some kind of music with it that is in the public domain, valve might put it up on their blog.

I'm looking around for some public domain/CC music that's about the same length and would seem "fitting" for TF2. (Les Brown maybe?) Like I said, for most of the maps I have more clips/extended clips to work with, and I can easily go back and shoot some more.

Also I've got an idea about helping distinguish each map from one another, as some of you stated was an issue. If I get some free time after work and on monday I'll see if I can have a better version ASAP.

Finally, if anyone runs across and CC/PD song that would seem fitting, feel free to let me know.

Jack Riguel

Jul 19, 2009
***UPDATED***

Check the OP, I've uploaded a new version to wegames (youtube will follow shortly if needed). It's not too different: just switched the map order around, added some previously unused (and reshot) footage, and got ahold of some better, Creative Commons music.

Enjoy.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I check OP and only see a link to a .avi and a youtube... no wegames link! D:

EDIT: I'm too fast

EDIT2: Amazing. Quality leapt with the second version. Every aspect of the video improved, really shows off the maps well (except I feel slate was mis-represented... but hey)

Last edited:

Jack Riguel

Jul 19, 2009
I check OP and only see a link to a .avi and a youtube... no wegames link! D:

EDIT: I'm too fast

EDIT2: Amazing. Quality leapt with the second version. Every aspect of the video improved, really shows off the maps well (except I feel slate was mis-represented... but hey)

Heh, thanks. Although I'm a little confused at why the link won't embed itself like the youtube one did. Give me a tick to fiddle with the links and I'll see if a solution will present itself... it may be that you can't embed from more then one source in a single post.

EDIT: Huh... well I'm not sure what the problem is exactly (as I know wegames can be embedded), but the youtube upload is just about done processing so I'll add that one as well. Hopefully it will decide to embed.

Last edited:

Wegason

L3: Member
Aug 16, 2009
Excellent second video, awesome again. Love the music choice and the longer representation of the maps