Advantages of func_detail over func_lod?

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by Spacek531, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Spacek531

Spacek531 L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm curious, which should I use for detailing? I know that func_lod doesn't add to the t-junctions, but is there any disadvantages towards using it for all detailing?

2. Toomai

Toomai L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I believe stickybombs cannot attach to func_lod. That's a pretty serious downside and will confuse the booze out of Demomen if you have any significant geometry using it.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  3. Shanghai

Shanghai L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Burnout6010

Burnout6010 L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Didn't know that, thanks :3

5. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Also, when func_lod's are fading they are slightly more expensive. Having a ton of those fading would probably add up quick.

6. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    I think func_lod counts as an entity at runtime, but func_detail does not.

7. phi

aa phi Within The Vacuum Of Infinity...

Positive Ratings:
    If you're going to be using func_lod for any reason, reserve it for out-of-bound detail pieces and tiny faraway details that can't be accessed.
    The only reason I would use it as of now is if your 'waterindices' count on compile is over 90% (as it was for Edifice). The waterindices count, from what I know, is mainly the result of func_details touching/intersecting world geometry and turning some func_details into func_lods will lower this count. Just keep in mind the problems listed above when using lods.

8. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    We ran into this problem with Stoneyridge too. Fixed it with a combination of func_lod and func_brushes. In spawn rooms where there isn't going to be combat is another good place to sneak a few in.

9. JeanPaul

JeanPaul L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Just FYI here: Most black mesa maps are at like 300% waterindicies :p

Not something you really have to worry about (unless it fucks with something in multiplayer servers?)

10. phi

aa phi Within The Vacuum Of Infinity...

Positive Ratings:
    I've been under the impression that having a waterindices count of over 100% causes the map to refuse compiling. It could be the version of Source that TF2 uses compared to the version that Black Mesa uses that enables it to go over 100% waterindices.
    I've never actually had a map go over 100% in TF2, though, so if anyone could validate these claims it would be nice.

11. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    I feel like we ran into some sort of issue that delayed us releasing RC1 because of it, but I don't remember if it was an actual problem, or if we just wanted to get away from the "limit."

edit: It's more of a way to gauge T-Juncts. Having too many will stop compiles, afaik.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  12. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    You can't place overlays onto func_lods either. Well I mean you can do it, but they won't be visible in the compiled map. Just in case anyone was wondering.

13. stegarootbeer

stegarootbeer L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    func_lods can also be made non-solid.

14. eqprog

eqprog L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    func_detail entities are ignored by VVIS when creating visleafs.

15. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    ALL entities (that aren't explicitly related to visibility) are ignored by the compiler when cutting leaves.

• Thanks Thanks x 1