Adding large ramps without breaking the immersion - any good examples in maps?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Belli, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Belli

Belli L69: Deviant Member

Positive Ratings:
    In maps like Pipeline and Nightfall, the large ramps on the last point seem kind of arbitrarily placed, compared to some of the flat payload maps like goldrush, where the payload tracks don't seem out of place.

Do you have any ideas or examples (not necessarily payload) where such a ramp area fits in better with the rest of the map?

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Whenever someone needs to go up with something that isn't carryable.

3. Shogun

Shogun L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't necessarily think large ramps in TF2 break the immersion, the architecture of the official maps pretty themselves is cartoony so you can get away with quite a bit. Plus large structures are good landmarks and will make your map memorable!

4. RubbishyUser

RubbishyUser L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    In nightfall, it kind of makes sense as the two tracks are supposed to then bridge over to the other side, but the bridge has fallen down. You can see the remains at the bottom of the valley. In Pipeline, I still can't help but think it makes sense - sometimes you just need to go uphill. This makes sense:

[​IMG]

If anything, the biggest issue I have with the tracks in Pipeline and Nightfall is that, for reasons of sightlines, nothing in TF2 tends to be particularly straight. I'd say that maybe those alarm bells are ringing not because the theming doesn't match but because the geometry isn't that fun.

5. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    Don't sweat it too much. TF2 is full of absurd constructions, play quality trumps everything.

Your challenge then becomes detailing the absurd construction so it fits thematically with the rest of your map. Slap some wood textures if it's a mining outpost. Make it concrete if it's industry or spytech.

Worrying about it any more than that is unnecessary.

6. Belli

Belli L69: Deviant Member

Positive Ratings:
    I guess so. I just wanted to get this problem solved in the early stages of the map. I guess construction theme could fit nicely with something like this.

7. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Absurd architecture is kind of the definition of TF2 style. But, it's all based in reality. So it has to at least look like something you could plausibly see in real-life.

8. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Go fly around Upward and look at some of the buildings there. Like half of it makes no sense at all but it looks terrific.

9. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    Especially that blue metal building near point C.

I'm pretty sure Valve decided they needed something in that spot to block LOS when aiming down the hill, dropped in a cube, and then when it came to detailing designed the top half around those A-frame props they used. Why make a new prop when you can make a mushroom shaped tower instead?

Sticks out like a sore thumb once you notice how silly it is.