A little rant about attention whores.

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with you to a point, TPG. Sure, the site might be an opportunity for people to get their maps heard of, but it's also so much more than that. The way people come together to help others with their problems is really great, and anyone who just sees the site as free advertising, rather than a closely nit community, is doin it wrong.

Mapping to me is basically lego moved up a level, I love the idea of creating new worlds for a game I enjoy, but of course, it's great to have people comment on something you've worked really hard on, because obviously you're going to be proud of it. There is a difference between maps, and just random posts, however.

Also, people who claim the only way to get feedback on your map is to be really famous in the community, you're wrong. Make something new and original, or something of a high quality, and you'll get loads of feedback. If you're not getting any serious feedback because your map isn't very good, go back to the drawing board, have a look at other maps, and fix those problems. If you just give up on the map and stop updating, why would people give you wasted feedback?

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
I come here for the knowledge and the inspiration, of which there is a wealth of both available.

There is also a lot of waffle, of which only some is amusing.

I feel that this is somewhat relevant to this thread as attention whoring is not really necessary if you adhere to it's steps:
sethgodin.jpg

What Is Schwa

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 13, 2008
It'll be nice when summer is over and you guys are too busy for drama.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
The only attention whores i see, are the ones that continuosly post chat logs with famous valve employees and brag about it, just to show how big their e-penis is ;)
They only have one goal, piss people off and make them jealous ;)
But i'm a fullgrown man with a heavy beard (since we dominated england and argentinia - hihihihihihi). I'm way over jealousy :D

the map promotion thing that is described here is not something i'd call "attention whoring" as a whole. but that's just grumpy me.

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
I wont touch on the attention whoring aspet of the forum, as I dont have an opinion on it (I seriously dont think it's that rampant), there is a notable "fear" of being a noob mapper. People post maps, and get little to no feedback because other maps soak up attention, and maps on this forum can go down the pages quickly. They dont want to be too loud about playing the map, because they dont want to seem annoying and have people dislike them from the get go. I do think it's a little crappy that you need to establish yourself in the community a good amount before it's easy to get decent amounts of feedback in a topic, but I suppose with the amount of mappers it's just how it works. I'm not a big person here, I have only one of you guys on my friends list (something I shall rectify when I get time :blushing:), but I still used to ignore the smaller topics and rest on others to answer questions, but recently I've been trying to help the smaller mapper's posts, because I know what it's like to have whole topics with 10 posts from me, and 1-2 by someone else, and it is disheartening. I am not trying to complain, I am just saying.

tl:dr Just read my run-on-sentence wall of text :O

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
The only attention whores i see, are the ones that continuosly post chat logs with famous valve employees and brag about it, just to show how big their e-penis is ;)
They only have one goal, piss people off and make them jealous ;)
But i'm a fullgrown man with a heavy beard (since we dominated england and argentinia - hihihihihihi). I'm way over jealousy :D

the map promotion thing that is described here is not something i'd call "attention whoring" as a whole. but that's just grumpy me.

What do you expect them to do? Keep it to themselves? It's a bit less attention whoring, and a bit more informing the community of valve going-ons. The size of their e-peen is a byproduct.

cyked

L3: Member
Dec 18, 2009
Acumen, I find it much less attention whoring than being like "d00ds i just talked to robin and dario and they told me secrets about x and y and i cant tell you ANYYYYTHING about z"

Mar 23, 2010
welcome to life. everyone wants attention. pretty much a fact (with a few exceptions).

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Well said, this is why I posted:
in another thread.

Quoting yourself and being vague is a far cry for being useful in any thread on the forum. :facepalm:

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
I don't think my post was very vague at all, TPG's post pretty much sums up my thoughts regarding the community.

Such a terrible outlook at life.

AgeNt_

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 12, 2009
what bothers me is that of, the popular people around here get more testing in there maps and more feedback when people like myself who need a lot more feedback gets none.

this is the only place i can get my map tested so it sucks when i have to consolidate my map's feedback.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
what bothers me is that of, the popular people around here get more testing in there maps and more feedback when people like myself who need a lot more feedback gets none.

this is the only place i can get my map tested so it sucks when i have to consolidate my map's feedback.

I can certainly understand how that could be discouraging.

One thing to note is that these "Popular" members who get more attention do get more testing because they..

1. promote.
2. are highly active.
3. provide updates often.
4. are long standing members who are well known.
5. have a quality product many feel testing will lead to something.

I wouldn't get discouraged if i were you however i would try to be as active as possible and you will be surprised how fast you people willing to test your map.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
i should probably add 'being full yourself' to the list of 'donts' in the rules section.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
i should probably add 'being full yourself' to the list of 'donts' in the rules section.

ohh ohhh!!

The Cats Meow
All that and then some
The hot sh$t

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
I can't be an attention whore, Im the tf2m pimp :p . Jokes aside, I feel that midget summed up my thoughts quite well. I map for fun, and always have. That means sometimes I'm lacking in motivation, but people like midget nag me until I work, helping my map in the process. I don't go out of my way to be well known, but I feel over the past year or so Ive become a prominent member of this community. I don't post shit tons on the forums or produce maps faster than zpq changes themes on alaska :p . I simply make my way through as the person I am. The lazy, surprisingly talented, unaware idiot that I am. :D

AgeNt_

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 12, 2009
I can certainly understand how that could be discouraging.

One thing to note is that these "Popular" members who get more attention do get more testing because they..

1. promote.
2. are highly active.
3. provide updates often.
4. are long standing members who are well known.
5. have a quality product many feel testing will lead to something.

I wouldn't get discouraged if i were you however i would try to be as active as possible and you will be surprised how fast you people willing to test your map.

i can understand this, but its like whenever one of these popular people come out with a new map its like its an instant hit. plus i try to get my map tested as often as i can and be as on as often as i could. but most of the time im either at work or at school.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
i can understand this, but its like whenever one of these popular people come out with a new map its like its an instant hit.

That's because they've already made quality maps and the rest of the TF2maps members expect a lot from them and get excited.

Icarus made Vector which ranked pretty high (2nd) in the PLR/CTF contest. It makes sense that if he introduces a new map (such as coldfront) to the site that people will react more intensely than if you or I released a new map. Such as gaining 5 pages of interested posters overnight.

We would all like to get that amount of attention but unfortunately reality is a cruel mistress. We need to earn our keep.

Last edited: