A Heavy Update 8/19/08

TotalMark

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 13, 2008
I did a Google search and couldn't find the thanks to cookie conversion, so I guess I'll have to just accept your thanks grudgingly. ;)

It's about 0.00000000032785 of a cookie per 1 thanks, but that's not important right now...;)

Why are we already acting so negative?

WE HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED IT YET!!! D:

If it's not right they'll fix it.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
If it's not right they'll fix it.

tc_hydro anyone?

They havent fixed the diagonal stages of hydro, the consequence: everyone hates hydro.

its only the diagonal ones that stalemate badly and because they do it seems like the whole thing stalemates loads and those are the rounds that are played most (since they go to time rather than capture)

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
I'm really thrilled about that new environment. TF2 needed some green, and here it is... an environment I'd actually want to be in in real life.

I'm a bit wary of the arena mode though. I always felt like TF2 couldn't work as a deathmatch-type game because certain classes wouldn't be very useful without a control point or intel to gather/protect. I could be wrong, though... and I want to be. I'm sure this mode has been playtested quite a bit before we get it.

EDIT: shoot, I forgot that there IS a control point involved in this mode. Well, I guess that could help things.

Last edited:

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
I want to LIVE eh.... MAP again!

I love the new environment, I love it! I first want to see how the gamemode plays but I want those textures and models now!

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Lumbermill definitely looks wonderful, and I'm positive towards the game mode itself. I can't wait to see how it plays...

Ravine looks a bit boring next to the all-new Lumbermill. And remakes of Well, Granary and Badlands? Err... I don't know if I like that.

psihomir

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 17, 2008
Damnit, I wanted to make the first snowy map. Oh well, mine is not that similar anyway, and this means more new assets for me to use, actually :p

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
Well and granary.

The lol maps of TF2. I'm not even gonna take a look what changed.

roninmodern

L3: Member
Feb 5, 2008
I'm also loving the look of lumbermill and ravine.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
goddamn valve, i was really holding out for a pro made orange map D:

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
tc_hydro anyone?

They havent fixed the diagonal stages of hydro, the consequence: everyone hates hydro.

its only the diagonal ones that stalemate badly and because they do it seems like the whole thing stalemates loads and those are the rounds that are played most (since they go to time rather than capture)

This new arena mode is designed specifically to prevent stalemates, though. 1 CP in the middle of the map instead of 2CP's located behind the enemy team. This naturally pulls people toward that location on the map instead of them hiding and protecting their own CP. If a team doesn't make some attempt for the CP, the other team will win.

There's a couple of valid complaints about this game mode relating to wait time and class balance, but class balance will be determined entirely by the map. Yes, people might have to wait a bit before they respawn, but that will force them to make smarter tactical decisions and have to weight risk-reward more than in any other game type.

I'm looking forward to it. :)

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
And the game will play slower and more carefull. It's gonna be a golden age for me since I mostly play spy/sniper !!

FaTony

Banned
Mar 25, 2008
No water, no medipacks, no respawn....

FINAL DESTINATION! Valve did it!

RobinW: Hey, Gabe, I'm planning new game mode for the Heavy Update. What do you think it would be?
GabeN: No water, no medipacks, no respawn, 1 CP only! Final Desti...I mean Arena Mode.
*Later in the sound recording booth*
Ellen McLane: You failed! Prepare for Arena Mode!

Don't touch this! It's the new material for my cp_final_destination trailer!

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Puts the Scout's survivability to good use! Scout heaven!
No water or medkits! Pyro heaven!
You can easily kill everyone as a Heavy and they'll not respawn again! Heavy heaven!
Dispensers are vital! Engineer heaven!
Everyone's playing it slower! Sniper/Spy heaven!
A team will FAIL without a Medic! Medic Heaven!
A map. Soldier and Demo heaven!

Looks like it's heaven for everyone.

PS. I actually tried to make a point with this post, but I guess I forgot that along the way.