2Fort Canyon (Working Title)

Aki

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 2, 2009
First Build day is complete

pl_demurrage_a20034.jpg

This first picture is of what will become the primary spawn area of both teams. One major problem with 2fort is that it's main spawn area is very campable. Canyon is in danger of compounding this problem by only having one spawn area instead of two. However, as you see this area has 5 routes out which should make entirely bottling a team up nearly impossible. The dropshaft to the intelligence room exists because the attacking team has a dropshaft they can use to scout rush the intel, so what's fair for the goos is fair for the gander. This said, using the dropshaft involves a long enough fall to injure anyone taking that route.

Also visible here is the fact that the spiral staircase down has been moved closer to both the spawn and the battlements.

pl_demurrage_a20047.jpg

2fort Classic's signature was the long bridge approach between the forts - a sniper's fun ground that was such a headache that Valve decided to cut everyone a break by putting a roof on the bridge.

As can be seen here a narrow canyon separates the forts. I haven't decided on it's exact length, but it will be long enough to make any approach very dangerous.

The tradeoff here is while this is the most dangerous route to the intel, it is by far the shortest. Run up the canyon, drop down the Backdoor cave, grab, run up the spiral, off the battlements and done. Or take the long road back home. There will be several alternate routes and while Canyon will continue to have choke points like 2fort, unlike 2 fort where any one of 3 choke points could be used to defend the intel from most attackers, Canyon requires the control of at least 2 or 3 choke points to protect all the routes in.

That's all for build night 1. A long way to go.

Aki

Nov 2, 2009
I'm hoping to have first alpha ready by the end of the weekend. I just need to build the blue spawn room and correct some textures.

Aki

Nov 2, 2009
So, I have a first alpha map ready - but where can I upload it?

Mr. P. Kiwi

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 22, 2009
It's hard for me to see if the map will be well balanced with these blueprints (or with any other). It is fun to build a map - so you can build it and send it to play testing... Then I could tell you how awesome your map is.

Aki

Nov 2, 2009
That concept sketch map is no longer accurate. I'll upload some new screen shots once I reach beta stage - right now I'm ashamed to put pictures of it up alongside the beautiful artworks on this site in its current state.

Feb 17, 2009
Don't worry, before even releasing beta you should let other people play test it. ;) And dont be shy about the screenshots, its just an alpha.

lockitup

L2: Junior Member
Nov 15, 2009
Well I ended up uploading this to our server and testing it. Then it turns out a couple friends joined and before I knew it we had racked up about 2-3 hours on this map just messing around. Perhaps I liked it because we were melee and I have a slow computer so without textures I was rockin' it. But anyways thought I would let you know I'm big fan of these custom 2forts. Even if yours is a total remake I'd be more than willing to test this along the way. Hard to say what I think of it right now, took a good 2 hours to understand the layout and not get lost with no textures. I do like the bridge over the top of the map, reminds me of some other game I cannot remember, perhaps halo. I cannot really comment on what I didn't like until you release the next version because I'm sure it will be a bit different.

Aki

Nov 2, 2009
Thanks. Well I built the alpha map out without paying attention to leaks - so the beta is going to need to be slowly rebuilt room by room and texture by texture.

But here's the intel room so far (about 1/3 of the stuff I intend to stick in there)

Aki

Nov 2, 2009
New screens of alpha 2. The better I get at this the more embarrassed I am at the currently uploaded map.

Aki

Nov 2, 2009
New screen shots. Maybe "2fort Rethought" as a title? The influence of the classic is still very alive in this map, although the changes to layout as you'll see in these pics make it far more than a simple reskin. Comments welcome.

Aki

Nov 2, 2009
Total of 11 pictures in this batch, which will require 3 posts. Here's the second.

Aki

Nov 2, 2009
And here's the last pic. Again, input from long time mappers sought. Please be gentle - this is my first fully fleshed out map (and at this time it's not even half done).

lockitup

Nov 15, 2009
Any chance of getting an updated download? From your screenshots I remember all the areas when they were untextured.... and "2fort rethought" works....

Aki

Nov 2, 2009
I started again from scratch and the new file isn't playable at the moment.

Drexer

Jun 23, 2009
How about "ctf_fortifications" ? It still gives the same name-feel as 2fot, without automatically invoking a revulsion by instinct.