The Future of Compensation for TF2 Mappers: A Community / Valve Discussion

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Extra side note, snakewater is really not formulaic at all. It's only formulaic in having buffer areas with a rough certain number of paths between control points that have height variation. Wow, it's like, the checklist for having a 5cp map of basic competence!

I realized later Snakewater is an exception to this all.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Snakewater, process, and standing are all complete wonders of playercount balance. They all play perfectly fine all the way up to 32 players. If anything, accusing valve of not caring about pub play on new maps is senseless at best.
I think valve explicitely looks for maps that work well at higher player counts.

For pub play with higher player counts matchmaking has what it needs. It has the somewhat minimal setting of 24p normal respawn. but also 32p insta respawn. If it would only accept maps for 6v6 you would give players a worse experience.

Where at 6v6 its normaly comp and just gets arranged by the league itself. So custom maps that arent in the game are not a problem here at all.

If i look at upward and barnblitz. both dont feature that much single path areas. If they do its most of the time at the final capture point, and even then its often still 3 entrances. For comp 2 would have been acceptable because the player count is often just too low for extra, but on pub this is devestating as it becomes a turtlefest.

If i would look at upward i notice alot of possible entrances to the final area. And they are most of the time only needed for pub. In a comp game when 4 people died you often can push the cart far enough anyway. Its still more based on making player kill than to perform the objective.

In a 5cp map for pub you dont want spires to capture. captures are hard enough already with more defense. But for comp having a flat ground is simply too easy. The spire there is to slow down the pace by making a defend action far more effective.

Dec 28, 2014
>

Side note, you guys scream "innovation", but when's the last time that an "innovative" map actually played well outside of obscure tests? It's like the hivemind simultaneously wants interesting maps that do groundbreaking things at the same time as having maps with no flaws that don't have abnormal gameplay. That doesn't happen past the first year and a half of life of a gamemode, I'm sorry, it's literally impossible when early good maps are what define the formula.

I don't think a map needs to be innovative to be included in TF2. In fact I think there are some great standard maps that don't do anything outside of the normal gameplay for a mode that should be made official.

I do like it when a map maker tries something new with an established mode and it succeeds, for example even though I think PL_Frontier has a lot of problems I do like how the cart it different from any other payload map and how that changes the way battles play out around the cart vs a normal payload map. I also really like payload maps like Swifwater, Borneo and Boundary and even though none of them do anything different with the payload mode like Frontier does I would still like to see one or more of them go official.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
most people jump to custom game modes when they hear "innovative" when really, just making a 5cp map with a last point that's not badlands is amazingly innovative. That's how sad the lack of innovation got (in my eye at least). Level design is layout dependent and you don't need innovative game modes to force you to make innovative layouts.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
If the 5CP market weren't already so crowded I might be inclined to try to implement that concept I shared ages ago where each team has only one spawn room and the exit doors just change, Steel-style.

And 2street was my attempt at innovating CTF, but I got hung up my lack of reference pictures for narrow, winding European city streets. Still am.

Dec 28, 2014
So Valve had the author of PL_Borneo upload the map to the cosmetic workshop for some reason on June 9th (it says in the description uploaded at Valve's request). It was briefly made public (probably by accident) and there is a Google Cache version of it here.

Could we possibly be looking at the next community map to go official? Why else would Valve want it uploaded to the cosmetic workshop when it was already on the map workshop?

Dec 28, 2014
I for one hope it's a good diabolical laugh.

Same here.

IIRC Fr0Z3n knew about Process and Standin going official before they went official and teased us by posting a texture from Process over on Facepunch's TF2 major update speculation thread so it could be a good laugh.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Same here.

IIRC Fr0Z3n knew about Process and Standin going official before they went official and teased us by posting a texture from Process over on Facepunch's TF2 major update speculation thread so it could be a good laugh.

That definitely wasn't me.
I knew they were going in, but I didn't tease it.

Dec 28, 2014
That definitely wasn't me.
I knew they were going in, but I didn't tease it.

Must of been someone else, though I remember we tracked down who made the textures and it was someone who made a payload map which we though was going to go official, not realizing that the same textures were used in Process.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Must of been someone else, though I remember we tracked down who made the textures and it was someone who made a payload map which we though was going to go official, not realizing that the same textures were used in Process.

Lemmines and Corrode.

Dec 28, 2014
Lemmines and Corrode.

Yeah that was it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Borneo go official. As I'm sure I've posted before it's a fun map that reminds me a bit of Barnblitz with a nice set of custom textures that makes it stand out for other maps. If it is going official hopefully it's not the only map.

Dec 28, 2014
haha whoops, what a noob.

Well the TF2 workshop has been known to make private items public in the past so it may not of been the map author though I have no idea if any other private items were made public at the same time (though as far as I know nothing else was).

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I would like to see Valve have a go at making Borneo's trees a bit less... whatever's wrong with them right now... rather than just buy them as-is, but the map itself is certainly worth incorporating.