TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #7: Preliminary Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

[OzG] Roo Bert

L1: Registered
Apr 29, 2012
my two cents

After playing through the other entries the ones that standout are as follows:

1. pl_quagmire - swamp themed, professional finish, dynamite cap points, liked the bugzappers and other little details, would like to see this adopted officially by Valve.

2. pl_stroika - construction theme and different cap scripts make this a very cool map. Would like to see this officially adopted by Valve. Needs a tiny bit of tweaking around the cranes.

3. pl_moonlit - an awesome halloween theme! Well executed with fun scripts. I expect to be playing this officially next Oct 31st!

4. pl_vesper - very cleanly executed, works well and looks the goods.

5. pl_escarpment - what my map should have been, very cleanly executed. I liked the log across the tracks script!

Honourable mentions:

pl_causticheights - some very good ideas in there (except lose the laser beam at the end), huge map too, but works well.

pl_rust - very clean, works well just needs some final refining and detailing.

pl_clifftop - woodland setting, so many trees! Very clean finish though. A bit like a lush pl_upward...

pl_underdam - interesting ideas, a bit of tweaking on details and would be a very good map.

Well that's my opinion...

I can't/won't comment on my entry (pl_redhidingwoods) obviously.
(Don't know why it's crashing some people's systems.
Hopefully an optimization guru can have a look at it...)
Would love any feedback on pl_redhidingwoods, if you've played it.

Good luck to those involved!
I envy the judges!

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
my list in progress:
rust, - i've enjoyed this map. particularly when playing on/around the final. + approve the reboot to snowy theme
atoll, - love the detailing of the beach. gameplay is alright too, though the finale area could use some work
escarpment, - nice and enjoyable flow overall. could use a lil more refinement to iron out some small quirks
volcanic, - fun dynamic elements and gameplay. wish the detailing could have been fully refined
gloryhole, - like the use of water in the asthetics. gameplay seems alright. wish the detailing could have been fully done
sunkenrocket, - not too keen onthe start, but enjoy the areas near industrial elevator towards the end
vesper, - detailing is nice. dynamic elements are ok. gameplay feels a lil off though.
clifftop, - it's a good map overall with a good layout. can feel a lil longwinded for both teams though. also that green fog
runway, - nice detailing and nice use of roll zones. gameplay needs refining though. especially the MASSIVE spawnrooms
jury's still out on number 10. i've still to play a few. for now lets go with stroika

No message, I get the never ending loading screen and the game stops responding.

I believe when loading it from the developer console it just states that it's loading before freezing up and when loading it through a local server it also does the same thing. Also had it crash on download when I deleted it and tried to redownload the map from TF2maps.net's server.

No idea what is causing it but for some reason my game really doesn't want me to play that map. lol :)

Edit:

Also I was wondering, will there be a second preliminary vote to narrow down the votes of those that tie for the 10th place?

try checking your integrity of game files. something might be awry.
(afterall if you're the only one having the problem then that implies it's something on your end)

regarding 2nd prelim voting - wait and see i'd say, since we don't even know yet if there will be a tie. and if there is, it's not really worth doing another prelim vote unless there's a significant number.
it's possible that in the event of a tie both/all tied maps might just go through (up to rav + depends on the number or maps in question)

Last edited:
May 2, 2009
guys, from OP: This thread is for casting votes. Please keep discussion about the contest in the main thread: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=18555 and : Does this mean only 10 maps will pass the preliminary?
No, but at least 10 maps will pass the preliminary.

My list:
pl_rust
pl_curve
pl_escarpment
plr_atoll
pl_clifftop
pl_moonlit
pl_quagmire
plr_runway
pl_shenmue_release
pl_gloryhole

Last edited:

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
pl_quagmire
pl_volcanic_a20
plr_frostfell_b1b
plr_runway_rc1
pl_escarpment_rc1
pl_moonlit_b6
pl_gloryhole_b1
pl_rust_b2
pl_vesper_b4
pl_clifftop_b1

*EDIT* And now finally i'm done.

Last edited:

bob+M|M+

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 31, 2008
Gave my pros and cons for each map.

First, top 10:

pl_quagmire
pl_vesper_b4
pl_escarpment_rc1
pl_moonlit_b6
pl_curve_b8
pl_gloryhole_b1
pl_stroika_b1
pl_clifftop_b1
pl_powerpack_a9
pl_rust_b2

============================================

pl_quagmire
Pros: Very detail-heavy. Captivates swamp theme very well. Gameplay is fine, though I feel some paths/areas could be more intuitive through landmarks or selective-detailing instead of all-out detailing/lighting.

Cons: Some tight areas. Dynamic element is a good concept blowing up a barricade every point, though I feel it is more of a gimmick, than a contributor to gameplay.

pl_rust_b2
Pros: Generally good layout.

Cons: Nothing major. Detailing is good though feels bare in many areas.

pl_vesper_b4
Pros: Well-polished map. Gameplay is generally well thought-out.

Cons: Nothing major.

pl_escarpment_rc1
Pros: Generally good layout. Very good aesthetic and polishing.

Cons: Dynamic element feels unnecessary towards the gameplay.

pl_mines_a2
Pros: Ambitious and unique project to go for an entirely underground, completely displacement map.

Cons: Textures and lighting are out of place. Does not resemble mines at all. Map needed more time and work.

plr_atoll_b1
Pros: Good use of Bulletcrops pack. Great detailing in outer plazas and shore side.

Cons: No detail inside. Dynamic element is good, though it's annoying to wait for it to turn. Good job in pulling off the entity setup behind it.

pl_moonlit_b6
Pros: Great detailing. The shooting range in the spawn room is a nice touch. The dynamic element teleporting to the underworld is definitely one-of-a-kind. So much so, that I feel the name of the map should have reflected that aspect. Layout is generally good, though there are some tough chokes, which could use an alternate route.

Cons: A couple tough chokes.

pl_curve_b8
Pros: Good detailing through entire map. Good spacing of areas. Feels suitable for competitive setting.

Cons: Need testing to comment.

pl_underdam_v1
Pros: I like that you experimented with breakable terrain and teleporters. This map is heavily in favor of red, which gives a good challenge for blue team.

Cons: Many issues with gameplay. Sightlines, walking distances, choke points, and overall difficult for blue.

pl_alpine_forest_rc2
Pros: Best forest environment in TF2 I've walked though. Love the cliff pass and the view to the river, and all along the river. It really feels like a travelling adventure quest, not unlike a RPG setting. The other moving trains gives a feel that the place is occupied and things are happening around you. Overall, good feel to this.

Cons: Two big things. Optimization and gameplay, but I'm just going to touch on gameplay. The setting is great, but it doesn't really work as a payload map, because it is far too linear, and barely any choices of attack from point to point. There always needs to be options for defenders and options for attackers on each point. Otherwise it will just be a big spamfest along the choke without any dynamic gameplay. Think about this next time you make a layout.

plr_frostfell_b1b
Pros: Good improvements to the gameplay/cart path over the development cycle. The decisions you made improved the map every time, and the cart path in this version is quite good. Love the general architecture of the map, especially the spawnroom and all of the roof architecture. The roofwork above the capture area is amazing.

Cons: Ground level is where the player spends the most time, and more detail should be spent where the player is looking!

pl_shenmue_release
Pros: New theme. New models and textures. Good revisions to the map in this version. Good detailing. 3+ paths to every point. Good use of height variation. The theme works quite well.

Cons: Gameplay is generally good, though very easy to spam the cart. The widths of areas throughout the map are generally tight. The flanks through the mossy wooden caves are good for blue, though red can just as easily take these flanks and circumvent blue which is not good. Circumventing flanks for blue = OK. Circumventing flanks for red = not good.

pl_ravine
Pros: Good concept and setting of the map. The whole blue spawn area is great. Nice dynamic element with the falling bridge.

Cons: Map is purely catered toward snipers the first half of the map. Extremely long sightlines. Latter half of map is linear with a couple of insignificant alternate routes. Try not to make the walking distance of alternate routes too long, and make them more significant by giving tactical advantage to attack each capture area. I love the density and spacing of options in the blue spawn. If you catered indoor gameplay more like your blue spawn, you could make a great map.

pl_sunken_rocket_b1
Pros: Big improvements to the layout throughout the development cycle. Love the "half-life-esque" lowering platform dynamic element and the rocket at the end.

Cons: General lack of polishing, but I know it's difficult with such a huge map.

===========================================

pl_creekcrossing_a21
Pros: Very unique gameplay here. I would never expect blue and red spawning right next to each other to work, but the way the map is laid out, it works just fine. Reminds me of the type of gameplay you see in a plr, but only one team is doing the pushing. Good dynamic elements. I like the rotating bridge to cross the creek.

Cons: Density of map is too open. Very sniper and scout friendly. Corridors are too tight and too long. Needs much more health and ammo packs for this type map.

pl_gloryhole_b1
Pros: Very well thought-out layout. Good spacing and area sizing. Good/balanced options among points.

Cons: Need playtesting to comment. The capture zone in first area wouldn't work for me when I playtested myself. Tried 3 times. Lack of polishing, but as expected for b1. Last area might need another safe alternative route for blue to attack from right side.

pl_stroika_b1
Pros: Best use of dynamic elements in the contest. Picking up track pieces turned out great and intuitive. I see the crane movement got toned down. The red respawn retracting as time goes on is brilliant, and benefits gameplay. As for brushwork and detailing, it feels quite sloppy, but much better than the alpha versions. Forward blue spawnroom looks amazing.

Cons: Map density and environment feels quite random. Would benefit from landmarks/special-detailing near the capture areas. Ending feels anti-climatic compared to all the things blue needed to go through to get there.

pl_redhidingwoods
Pros: Cannot comment

Cons: Map not optimized. Cannot play map.

pl_clifftop_b1
Pros: Great scenery with new models and textures. Generally good layout, though there are a few shortcut-type paths that undermine the other choices, especially around point 2 and 3. Good use of vertical space.

Cons: Green fog feels too heavy. Would love to see the level of detail in area 1 as the rest of the map, though that would take some time .

pl_barnstorm_a1
Pros: I like the western architecture you got going so far. The buildings in the middle area are starting to look quite nice.

Cons: Not a fan of the "pull" gameplay. Makes things really difficult at the beginning, and very easy towards the end. Map is generally too open. Very scout and sniper friendly.

pl_overcast_a2
Pros: Unique and surprising dynamic element with cart falling through the floor. Some good use of vertical space which makes for some challenging areas.

Cons: Nothing in the map to resemble the name "overcast". Gameplay is OK, but more thought could be put into balancing the options among points. Lack of detail.

plr_runway_rc1
Pros: Good detailing. Good use of vertical space. Very unique cart path.

Cons: One big room without restrictions for jumping classes or snipers. This type of gameplay won't be very advantageous or tactical for several classes.

pl_powerpack_a9
Pros: The layout of this map is actually very well thought-out and organized despite how chaotic it appears to be at first glance. A B and C are completely different areas, so it's like having 3 stages in one map, and only one area is open at once. Love it! Good dynamic elements in this map. I like the explosion after every point giving you a sense of completion.

Cons: Not a fan of the cart going off the track. No reason why there couldn't be one connector track piece in the missing areas. In terms of balance, the map looks quite difficult for blue. Avoid grainy textures that don't match TF2 such as the HL concrete you used.

pl_volcanic_a20
Pros: Ambitious theme. The geometry and setting of the last area with the missile base surrounded by lava under the apex of the volcano is especially great. The lava-falls are a nice touch.

Cons: In terms of gameplay, options for blue to each capture area could be better. Especially point 2 and 3. The lava zones are fun and appropriate for the setting, though they favor certain classes and feel gimmicky.

pl_rockpass_b1d
Pros: N/A

Cons: N/A

No comment on my own map.

pl_clastic_heights
Pros: One of the most dynamic entrees in the competition. Great entity work. The map as a whole is very expansive. Good environment and definitely captivates the name "heights." Epic finale.

Cons: Because the map is so expansive, it's difficult to optimize. This is an inherit flaw with the wide open design. Gameplay favors snipers and jumping classes heavily. Map lacks directional restrictions.

plr_sidetracked_rc
Pros: Gameplay looks quite good for being a small map. You spent a lot of attention to detail, such as the smashed wooden walls. Good map overall.

Cons: Small map. Can't vote this top 10 due to amount of work people have put into larger maps compared to this. Great detailing though and I see you put a lot of time into this map.

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Preliminary voting will end in 2 days from now
Meaning you have this weekend to finish up your votes (remember it's "up to 10", you don't need to list exactly 10 maps).

Here's a handy timer
Prelimiary voting timer!

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
Your tally was all 0's when i took a look. Although that might be a compatability issue, i opened it using openoffice because i'm a cheap bastard that refuses to pay for the Office Suite.

yeah frozen also mentioned problems with libre office whatever that is

ms office ftw

good thing i added a pic then :p

edit: saved as older format, this might work http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9180221/TF2/votes.xls

Last edited:

Melvin D Engineere

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 25, 2012
In no particular order:

pl_rust_b2
pl_escarpment_rc1
plr_atoll_b1
pl_moonlit_b6
plr_frostfell_b1b
pl_gloryhole_b1
pl_sunken_rocket_b1
pl_clifftop_b1
plr_runway_rc1
pl_volcanic_a20

Last edited:

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
pl_quagmire
pl_rust_b2
pl_gloryhole_b1
pl_moonlit_b6
pl_shenmue_release
pl_clifftop_b1
plr_frostfell_b1b
pl_rockpass_b1b
pl_stroika_b1
pl_curve_b8

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Moonlit
Escarpment
Vesper
Runway
Gloryhole
Rust
Shenmue
Atoll
Sunken Rocket
Stroika

Bereth

L4: Comfortable Member
Dec 13, 2011
1. pl_escarpment_rc1
2. plr_atoll_b1
3. pl_moonlit_b6
4. plr_frostfell_b1b
5. pl_gloryhole_b1
6. pl_stroika_b1
7. pl_clifftop_b1
8. pl_volcanic_a20
9. pl_quagmire
10. pl_rust_b2

sdf9000

L1: Registered
May 12, 2012
1. pl_shenmue_release
2. pl_volcanic_a20
3. pl_moonlit_b6
4. pl_vesper_b4
5. pl_quagmire
6. pl_rust_b2
7. pl_stroika_b1
8. pl_curve_b8
9. pl_clifftop_b1
10. pl_gloryhole_b1

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
plr_atoll_b1
pl_moonlit_b6
pl_vesper_b4
pl_sunken_rocket_b1
pl_overcast_a2
pl_quagmire
pl_volcanic_a20
pl_underdam_v1
plr_frostfell_b1b
plr_runway_rc1

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
The results are in:
And here they are, for anyone curious: [Link]

11 maps made it through preliminaries!

pl_moonlit_b6
pl_rust_b2
pl_escarpment_rc1
pl_gloryhole_b1
pl_quagmire
plr_atoll_b1
pl_clifftop_b1
pl_volcanic_a20
plr_frostfell_b1b
pl_stroika_b1
pl_vesper_b4

Now let's get ready for the real deal.
The final phase of the contest begins now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.