Find out how popular your maps really are

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Thanks for this. Now I have physical proof that nucleus is underplayed.

FireSlash

L2: Junior Member
Sep 29, 2009
Emergency re-write in progress due to my temporary db structure more or less imploding at the moment. Turns out storing 3.5k records every 15 minutes isn't such a good idea after all... so if you get errors, that's why.

Washipato

L3: Member
Jun 22, 2009
Wow, I can't belive my map is there. Very nice work Fireslash!

So... many... 2forts...

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
You can probably increase the polling time to 25 minutes or so. Most servers have at least a 30 minute rotation so every 15 is a little often.

You also might want to point out that you can use wildcard on the search page itself.

FireSlash

Sep 29, 2009
Why are l4d maps showing up?

This is a good question. I've not changed ANYTHING in the master server query code, but I cache the master list and recycle it a lot since hl2master is about as reliable as a scout slowly walking toward you from the other base

I suspect it's one of two things:
1) People have switched their tf2 servers to l4d, but they're still on my tf2 master list
2) something broke in the update

I'll add some logic in to filter out the first case.

Update: Ok, It turns out I'm pants-on-head retarded and can't write averaging algorithms to save my life. player count bug should be fixed now. Also, l4d and CS maps no longer show up. Hooray progress.

You can probably increase the polling time to 25 minutes or so. Most servers have at least a 30 minute rotation so every 15 is a little often.

Some servers run customs on a shorter cycle. I know the server I admin sets a lot of our customs to 20 minutes because while we enjoy them, they tend to empty the server. I imagine other admins are more aggressive on this. Also, at this point, there's no additional database overhead for running too fast; so it's moot.

Update 2:
This only searches servers currently running the map though, not historic results. The reasoning here is that doing a partial match on that massive db is more than a little slow.
Try this: http://fireslash.net/~fireslash/tf2/in_rotation.php
Still experimental, but it should let you locate any server that has run your map (since the time I accidently cleared everything like an hour ago). It'll tell you what server, what map version (hooray wildcards, use %), and what time the map was last spotted.

Update 3:
So, the map list is getting pretty insane, so I'm only going to display maps with an average player count greater than 1. you can still search for lower rated maps, they just won't show on the stats page.

Last edited:

Aftershock

L1: Registered
Sep 30, 2009
A main menu sort of thing, just linking all the different pages together would be great, and a link back to that from each page.

This is a pretty sweet script though.

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
"Roughly 12.06% of players online are idling."

4.5% my arse :U

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
"Roughly 12.06% of players online are idling."

4.5% my arse :U

Well anyone can idle in a legit TF2 idle server. I'm pretty sure a lot of people didn't know about the idle application until after they got the halo.

But, i never really did think it was only 4.5%. 8-10% maybe. But.. who really cares anymore tbh. In the past.

FireSlash

Sep 29, 2009
A main menu sort of thing, just linking all the different pages together would be great, and a link back to that from each page.

This is a pretty sweet script though.

That's phase 2, along with a domain, redesign, a recode of the PHP side (because I cobbled it together during lunch at work), and if I have time and people show interest, a few new shiny things.

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
this looks great.
i'm definetly gonna find much use with this.

how often does it query the server list?

FireSlash

Sep 29, 2009
this looks great.
i'm definetly gonna find much use with this.

how often does it query the server list?

In theory every 15 minutes, but hl2master usually only gives me a partial list, either due to a bug in my code, or hl2master hating me. In practice it updates around once a day.

Edit: Tried to fix my code, lost some data, tried other people's code, same results... I think it's hl2master. Anyway, now I need to get a good pull, until then numbers are going to be zeeeroosss)

Update: Found a work around, stats should be rolling again. Some newer servers will take a while to get listed though, hl2master success rate is like one in 50. o_O

Last edited:

FireSlash

Sep 29, 2009
Last edited: