Find out how popular your maps really are

radon

L1: Registered
Sep 5, 2009
hi

i don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but you should the sorting function in your sql query and not in a javascript-sort-thing. my firefox crashes every time i want to sort the (huuuge) list :(

FireSlash

L2: Junior Member
Sep 29, 2009
hi

i don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but you should the sorting function in your sql query and not in a javascript-sort-thing. my firefox crashes every time i want to sort the (huuuge) list :(
:eek:hmy:

I've used standardista for a while and never had this problem before, could you tell me what version of FF you're using?

However, in the interest of performance on lower end machines, I've shortened the list to only include maps with more than 3 players on them. Could you try it now?

Update: Ok, I'm using open flash chart now...
http://fireslash.net/~fireslash/tf2/map_variations.php?map=%waste%
Thoughts? Feedback? Hatemail?

Update 2: (Sorry, I hate bumping threads that are still near the top)
Would there be any interest in a daily history? like, how many servers ran your map each day? Or the average player count as recorded on a day by day basis? etc. Think line charts. I don't currently aggregate this, but I could.

Update 3: I wonder what this could be.

Last edited:

FireSlash

Sep 29, 2009
I use http://v3.game-monitor.com/topmaps.php?game=tf2 as my bible, so if you come up with good, nice looking alternative you've got a fan.

Workin on it now. You can see a small sample of what I have in mind. I'm modeling most of the website after TF2 UI elements.

I'd also like to integrate third party sites where possible, such as tf2maps.net; but the map database here doesn't seem to be easily linkable to. I don't know who runs the site, but perhaps I'd like to petition for a direct map link scheme like http://www.tf2maps.net/map/<mapname>/

Also willing to help code this if needed

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I've got one for the server stats page. How about an "available slots" vs "filled slots" stat? Might be a little more interesting/useful than the server:player ratio.

strangemodule

L5: Dapper Member
Sep 10, 2009
Wow, some people have played my map besides the people who tested it for me. No one is playing it actively, but oh well.

FireSlash

Sep 29, 2009
I've got one for the server stats page. How about an "available slots" vs "filled slots" stat? Might be a little more interesting/useful than the server: player ratio.

Added.

Also now tracking daily map performance in line-graph form (new maps won't show the graph until they've been around for at least two days), and fixed the problem with player/server averages not updating if a map isn't seen on any servers during the last pull. Averages should be much more (brutally) realistic now.

Oh, and filters for the map stats list. More suggestionsss!! :woot:

Last edited:

FireSlash

Sep 29, 2009
Filter by official/not.

I considered that, but there aren't that many official maps, and it's generally more helpful to see how your custom is in relation to the official (Assuming it's in the top 100). Officials are clearly marked as well. And.. really.. I'm running out of room in the filter box :p

Unless I'm missing a use for this?

FireSlash

Sep 29, 2009
What happened to displaying servers currently running a map?

This still exists... they'll be the top results on the recent list. Unless you want more than 25, at which point I don't know what to tell you other than to just pick one:bored:

Also, I worked out a bit of code with drpepper and we're now linking some maps back between tf2maps.net and tf2stats, as well as displaying info inline.

Example: http://www.tf2stats.net/map_info/pl_waste/
For those curious, this links back to the 'file name' attribute on the downloads section, so if your map isn't showing any info, it's because the value there doesn't match the map's actual name.

Right now I have a bit of wiggle room in there, (ie allowing tr_walkway_rc to match tr_walkway) but I'm probably going to remove this since it's also causing some mismatches.

Last edited:

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
If you'd like to link my maps under their info page that'd be splendid. I don't really run TF2maps threads for all of them, but I have official pages up for all of them: http://vilepickle.com/maps
(click view official page)

FireSlash

Sep 29, 2009
The process is automated, since there are so many maps out thar.

However, I can write up a simple interface for mappers to do individual inserts.

n30n

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 13, 2009
Great feature! Extremely helpful. Just little sad to see so many 2forts and other terrible maps :(

FireSlash

Sep 29, 2009
Ok, I've added the ability to submit map info. For maps which don't already have info, you'll find a link under the history graph to submit info to. It supports the same bbcode as this forum, so you can just copy the post (in edit or quote mode)

Entries are moderated, but I'll check them at least once a day.

Last edited:

martijntje

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Aug 2, 2009
wow, you updated it, making it much more awesome.

Also I see that my promotion has had effect, looks like I got into the regular rotation of a server :D (makes me happy)

I did get shocked that there was a server running b8 of my map (I havent released b8 yet), it turned out to be my listen server. This means that you have got a good detection of servers.

I really like the site now, should be stickied

p.s. I added myself as author of photofinish, my real name is Martijn Terpstra