Your first time playing

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
dm_store as a scout. Lol.
(it was pretty late by the time the download finished, and so this was one of the few non-empty servers)

Mar 23, 2010
dm_store as a scout. Lol.
(it was pretty late by the time the download finished, and so this was one of the few non-empty servers)

nice! alpha omega? they got a 24/7 DM store server. it was quite addicting.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
My first game was as a soldier on 2fort and my first custom map was CP_Lazytown.

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
First time: Confusing, but there weren't a lot of people in the game, so I wasn't getting a great demonstration of what a full server was like.

First map/class: Probably 2fort. No idea on class, but I think I sampled several in that first game.

First custom map: cp_warpath2. I stuck with a server running it 24/7 as my primary one for a while before branching out into other maps. :p

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
What was your first time playing TF2 like?
Amazing, I loved it too. Although, I was rather confused when I played Gravelpit. I kept going the wrong way.

I didn't really stick with TF2 untill I revisited it a few weeks later. I found The Sniper class and there the love started.

What was the map? What class?
2fort. Demoman. I only used nades since it took me a wee while to figure out how to switch weapons. - 2nd this with Midget

And if you cant remember that, what was your first Custom map that you played in TF2?
cp_floodzone - very simple but was fun. :)

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
hydro. i was a heavy. i was awestruck.

Sep 12, 2008
I am really surprised that you guys still remember that - i guess it was fun. Oh and also, I remember being really nervous. I got killed the whole time...

I think it was 2fort? No idea what I played though.

And if you cant remember that, what was your first Custom map that you played in TF2?
I played a lot of dm_duel_v2 and dm_store back then.

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
I was always scared of Hydro because I never knew the boundaries between each team's territory.

I kind of died, a lot.

Me too! I never played Granary or Well because the back and forth gameplay took up a lot of time, and I played on my brothers Xbox, so he'd kick me off to play HL2.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Even before I bought the game I loved the Pyro, so I immediately jumped onto a Dustbowl server as, yup, a Pyro. I went BLU, and first thing I did, I rushed into the corridor of 3-2, W+M1 all the way, and died in a splatter of gore. At that point I thought "Oh god, this game is too gross", but I kept playing it. And I loved it.

My first custom map was cp_labor. I thought it was an official map. :p After that I went on to play duel_duel2 all the time. I don't even know what I was thinking, but I did genuinely, honestly, like that map. The cylindrical one.

EDIT: Other custom maps I loved were cp_floodzone and ctf_floodzone (I never paid much attention to which mode it was) and cp_lazytown_night (or something like that).

Last edited:

TheBladeRoden

Oct 26, 2007
I'm not sure which was the very first class on the very first map.I do remember things like laying waste with the Demoman's pre-nerfed grenades on Gravelpit, and right when we were getting into Red's base on Hydro, the game decided to stutter and crash yet again. But i do remember my first custom was lazytown.

Feb 14, 2008
WHY ARE THESE STICKIES NOT DETONATING WHEN THE SCOUT WALKS OVER THEM... oh right click

Demoman on 2fort.

cp_lazytown

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
I remember my first map I played on the pc version was cp_fastlane. My first custom map was warpath.

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009

Awesome, after playing TFC it was interesting though my first time on TF2 was a tad offputting, as you'll see further down.

Junction. Pyro. Played a lot of pyro in TFC.

Junction. Yet it was official then. So I dunno. EDIT: I remembered! warpath! The tf2 remake is crap, yet to play goldrock gulch, hope its good.

FaTony

Banned
Mar 25, 2008
Nice graphics. I dunno, maybe Valve have changed the shaders a bit. But it looked more bluish with cold subtones. And i mean everyone who haven't seen TF2 with dustbowl stage 3 cp 2 as a background map haven't really seen 'virgin' TF2.

Background01 as sniper. And then Hydro dev commentary and 2 other. The next day i finally got time to play online. It was hydro as scout.

cp_lazytown. I was scrolling through the 2000ish VANILLA servers and have found (OMG!) a custom map. Yeah, beta was incredible.

Last edited:

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I was unconvinced. I was playing The Orange Box for PS3 (which I bought for Portal), and was enjoying Portal, and I tried TF2 with the friend who made me buy the OB. Wasn't fun at first, not knowing what to do. And the map was...

Granary. Soldier. I don't know how the map was Granary, and I chose Soldier because it seemed generic and easy enough from the class selection screen.

What was your first Custom map that you played in TF2?
Yarrrrrr. Yeah, yarrrrrr. First map I played on PC. Sucks.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
One thing I remember abiut my first tiem was that I found Medic to be the easiest class and Soldier to be the hardest. I still find soldier to be ridiculously difficult to this day.