[WIP] pl_haywood

Laz

L420: High Member
Jul 5, 2008
propesed changes:
secondary route:
change1.jpg

bridge problem, adding a roof/cover on the sides? maybe make it more houselike, so it is more of a tunnel. I would prefer to keep it as open as possible though. Or perhaps bring it down faster. so the stuff is level. will have to implement a cart elevator then :p that would be great I think :D

Laz

Jul 5, 2008
didn't make gameday, I went in and did some changes to deal with the major balance issues in the first stage.

Sorry for the hammer screenshots, but it was just not worth compiling this all:

first, a secondary route to give red a better chance on the hallway after the first cap. the door on the right will be a one way gate, much like the sidemine in dustbowl 2-2
stage1_1.JPG

Secondly: A more covered way into the enemy base, safe(r?) from snipers.
stage1_2.JPG

third: made the ramped part of the bridge, a bit wider, and added a cage like structure with some cover.
stage1_3.JPG

second stage has been adjusted as well:
stage2.JPG

also I already detailed some areas more, more to follow.

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
On stage 2 perhaps the buildings could be tied together with some grain towers and conveyors? I think it's looking great but they feel like 4 separate buildings in that picture instead of 4 buildings that belong together. Even just linking the new tall tower with the red shed building would probably work.

On stage 1 I really like what you've done with the routes in/out, but I'm not sold on the bridge. It doesn't feel quite right, like it was JUST made that way to provide cover instead of having some "real" purpose for being that way. Perhaps it would work better as a slanted wooden bridge with a top on it, kind of like 2Fort's bridge but on a slant? I think a metal truss bridge would work as well, but right now it just doesn't look like any real metal truss bridge that I've ever seen.

Nice progress, though. :D

Laz

Jul 5, 2008
thanks for the feedback. linking those buildings together more will definitly happen.

the bridge, yeah I had a bit of the same feeling. gonna try and find some reference pictures on small long bridges :p

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Second screenshot from bottom, get rid of that goldrush wall and replace it with someing more inventive!!

Spacemonkeynz

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 31, 2008
Second screenshot from bottom, get rid of that goldrush wall and replace it with someing more inventive!!

I always thought you were talking about the rock texture, but now I see you mean the wooden wall.

I was so confused.

Stargater59

L1: Registered
Feb 15, 2008
I have a question..

Is the respawn time supposed to be so long on the last point? It seems people are getting respawn times of over 600 as soon as the cart hits the second to last point.

Laz

Jul 5, 2008
Im back! Haven't had the time to map lately due to some other projects I had to finish. To be honest, Ive had a beta 4 version compiled all this time, but not yet tested.
Expect release of beta 4 later this week.

And yes, I have fixed the respawn time on the last point. I had accidently put in the amount of seconds as the delay, and not as the value. so it set the last respawn time as a random value.

There has been a whole lot of changes in this version, most noticably, alot more arrows and stuff to give you direction.
The bridge on part2 of stage 1 had also recieved an upgrade, making it a tad easier for blu to push through there.

last red spawn area on stage 2 has also had a bit of a makeover. Forward spawn for red in stage 2 is also fixed now.

stage1 the middle bit has been redisgned and offers a more viable secondary route to flank the enemy positions.

For a full list of updates, check out my checklist

Laz

Jul 5, 2008
straaaange ...
I just compiled beta4, did all the cubemaps and stuff like I did before, yet my filesize is only half of beta3? any ideas how that is possible?bsp is about 15mb right now?

flubber

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2007
We'll be testing this new beta tonight, but i already found 3 little things :
Here you need to close those windows during setup

You should close the stage1-part1 secondary exit when the spawn become blue

And finally a little bug :)

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
Ok..

The path between the 2 stages has some wood planks with a cart and toolbox behind it. I'm not sure if you're always able to go through them, but once I built a sentry behind the wall everyone was able to walk through and fall under the map. :)

http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=plhaywoodbeta40000qg5.jpg

This door should be closed after the first stage, especially since people spawn facing it for the second stage. I'd suggest rotating those blue spawns for stage 2 as well.

http://img46.imageshack.us/my.php?image=plhaywoodbeta40001qx3.jpg

Not sure what this is all about. The effect is kind of cool having a grate over the red surface, but I'm pretty sure it's not what you intended. :)

http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=plhaywoodbeta40002po1.jpg

In my opinion gates like this should move half up and half down instead of it all going one direction. If you take it in 1 direction, don't make it look like it's supposed to split in two. :)

http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=plhaywoodbeta40003qa6.jpg

We didn't play a whole lot but the changes you've made from previous versions are very nice. You definitely need to close those blue spawn windows as noted by flubber. I'd also recommend working on your details inside buildings, especially on stage 2. The outdoor details are starting to look really nice, and you should keep going on them.

Someone also made note of your signs by the final red spawn. He counted at least 10 red arrows/signs pointing in various directions. I would recommend having a single arrow pointing right until the cart passes the spawn, then switch it to point left. Adding small "exit", "battlements", etc signs should help provide additional clues. If you need more clarity than that, it's probably a good sign that your spawn area is too complicated. IIRC, the map also had A/B signs, which should be changed to arrows since standard payload maps don't have A/B/C. :)

The timer for stage 1 is WAY too long. Yeah, it may allow people to cap that stage easier, but the better solution is increasing red's respawn times, not making them defend for 20 minutes. I'd say around 6 minutes per checkpoint should be the absolute max. A good rule is to start with lower timelimits far away from the final destination and higher timelimits close to it. That gives the defenders a bit of a chance to defend the early points.

Last edited:

Laz

Jul 5, 2008
very constructive critisism! thanks a lot! updating my todo list :)

and yeah the grate over the red floor was not supposed to happen, Its a door but it opens the wrong way(retracting bridge)