[WIP] pl_haywood

Laz

L420: High Member
Jul 5, 2008
could be it was just some awesome defending. nothing has changed to that part, and I've seen people steamroll over red there without as much as breaking a sweat.
if this keeps proving to be difficult, I can still remove some healthpacks/ammopacks there to disadvantage defense.

http://psychostats.canardplus.com/map.php?id=14
that shows blu having a slight advantage.

Last edited:

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
Defense was above average. It's just annoying because we didn't get to test the areas you've tweaked. Time to wait, now :p

Last edited:

Pinguin22g

L1: Registered
Sep 12, 2008
Just got trapped in your Map :rolleyes:
pl_haywood_beta50043.jpg

Loving your map otherwise ;)

NoHeroes

L2: Junior Member
Oct 16, 2008
Just got trapped in your Map :rolleyes:
pl_haywood_beta50043.jpg

Loving your map otherwise ;)

Yes....this was the only remaining bug we found in a 2 hour 32/32 match.....red gets locked into the left spawn exit after the first point is taken.

Laz

Jul 5, 2008
well f*ck me. looks like I lost my USB stick with my most recent mapsrc file. last file I can find is one in between beta 4 and 5, lots of work needs to be redone. Im gonna be working at least 4-5 days to get back to the point where I was at beta5.
I could try decompiling my beta5 and copy pasting the reworked skybox perhaps ...

I hate it when this happens! kinda losing the energy to finish it :S

Laz

Jul 5, 2008
finally got some more spare time to finish this up
compiling beta 6 right now, fixed all the bugs, or at least the ones I know of. Added more balance to stage 1, and some light effect touch ups, some dustmotes here and there, should make the come to life a lot more.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Cool map. Haven't played it yet, but saw it up on FPSB. Is it up for playtesting on the 3rd? I'm looking forward to playing it! And I'll give some better feedback at that time too! :D

Laz

Jul 5, 2008
well it's finally getting past the annoying bugs. I loved the "everything just works" comment on fpsbanana :p (it didn't "just" work, it took a lot of time to get it working :p)
all issues now seem minor design issues, a tile here and there, and lightning bug here and there...

when Im running though it, some areas are starting to feel polished, while some remain, a bit empty, and under-detailed.
final stretches, then I can continue on my modelling and my l4d campaign :)

Laz

Jul 5, 2008
ok thats for the help testing all, I apologize for some of the annoying errors that should have been gone. I've been very noobish on my release :(

here's a list of issues I got

-some irregularities on texturing(screenshots would be welcome)
-forward spawn door for red on stage 2 door is bugged
-some rooms to dark
-timers need adjustements(feel free suggest settings :p)
-on stage 2, red can get in blu's spawn
-to powerfull sentry position right after cap one on stage2
-blu can build sentry and spawncamp red at the end(demoman taking the lower door should be able to get a shot at that sentry.)
-hay props floating
-to long respawns(perhaps I should add a forward spawn for blu on stage 2.
-need more cover at cp1 stage 2.

anything else I missed?

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
There are some (i saw 2 of them) displacements that have to be sewn

and a few lightning issues (a bit to bright/dark in some places)

And all points you already mentioned ;)

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Some rooms should be a bit brighter. I saw many examples of those in stage 2...pretty much every indoors area before the second point, in fact.

There were some ugly shadows by the railings near cap 1. I can't remember exactly where, but it must have been close to RED's side.

The large building above BLU's first spawn has an odd texture, probably a model/prop texture.

The timer should probably be a bit shorter. The time went above 16 minutes at least once, even though BLU didn't cap that fast. Maybe cap it at 12 minutes?

I don't think people should expect a forward spawn. Is there one for BLU in Gold Rush? Dustbowl? No, and the final stages of those maps are pretty much the same length as Haywood, if not longer. People find it annoying to walk the long stretch, sure, but they do that in all maps. That's what offensive engies are for!

Laz

Jul 5, 2008
I was really bummed out by the door bug still being in there :s other then that, everything seemed to work out ok.
I will also make a big explosion at the end :p (thanks to the answers immortalD got, also timing where the chokepoints are seems like a good idea to set up the respawn times perfectly. that mail was golden!

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
on the first stage blue were not quick to push the cart but after awhile they made it to the end of the tunnel leading to the last cap. Even though they took a good amount of time to get there they still had a lot of time left. It didn't feel right since we defended the first captures pretty well but then we still had to put up a wall for the longest time in payload history (maybe) to win the stage.

Already after 5 minutes of defending it was clear they (attackers) wouldn't break through the barricade so the rest of the stage felt like a waste of time and both sides just wanted to get it over with.

What is the upper limit the timer can reach right now?

Laz

Jul 5, 2008
looks like I have a big balance issue. on canard servers, the map has been played 70 rounds, 58 blu wins, and 12 red wins. Seems like my attempts at making it harder for red to defend, were a bit to much. Ormaybe the bugging gate has something to do with it.

gonna be moving the first CP of stage 2 a bit forward so blu can cap it faster, and red doesnt spawn almost right on it.
going to adjust spawntimes, by the method mentioned in the mail from valve.

flubber

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2007
I played only 4 times on beta 6 since i put it in our mapcycle but each times Part2-cp1 was lst because of the door.