[WIP] pl_haywood

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
Red can enter the blue spawn area after setup. They can't actually get into the single spawn room, but the expected behavior is that they shouldn't be able to enter any area that's blocked off during setup.
Please note stage 2 and 3 of dustbowl, when the gates open the red and blue team can pass through what they were blocking <_<

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
Please note stage 2 and 3 of dustbowl, when the gates open the red and blue team can pass through what they were blocking <_<

Ahh. Quite true. Please regard me as being an idiot and not thinking that through. Same applies for stages 2 and 3 of Goldrush. :(

In any case, it still doesn't feel quite right on haywood. I believe that's due to the more complex layout of the spawn area (multiple side tunnels). It could be one of those things that you just adjust to once you've played the map more. :)

Once again, I'm really impressed with this. Between haywood, hoodoo, and cave we're getting some pretty high quality custom payload maps all around the same time. Good stuff. :)

Laz

L420: High Member
Jul 5, 2008
ok rebuilding the most red area on the map. Im adding an extra one way route that opens after first cap, but with a one way gate, like the side mine in dustbowl 2 part 2.

also with a 3d skybox it is looking saaaaaweeet! :D
once I get my changes through , prepare for another batch of screenshots, probably closely followed by a beta2 release

Aaronmiles2

L1: Registered
Jul 20, 2008
All I can say is keep up that nice work. Looks great!
You've been working on it for 2 months? Nice... Normally I go to a map for 3 days and think "Damn this, this is too hard..."

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Still looking great. I downloaded beta 2, so I'm gonna have a little walk-around now.

Laz

Jul 5, 2008
mostly balance updates, not that much extra detail
skybox needs finishing up, some parts need more detailing,
I mainly adjusted spawntimes and other balance issues. blu should win stage 1 a little easier now

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
We played this again with over 8 people on each team. A few notes:
1. Balance in the first stage seems better. I still think it'll be tough against teams with multiple sentries, but overall it went quite well.
2. There's a rock directly outside of blue's first spawn. It's possible to get stuck between it and the ground's displacement. Once you fall in, you can't get out.
3. The second stage is far too open in the first section. Also, since the spawn is so far back there's really no way to get set up in the first part so it really doesn't get much playtime. I think another building over the track after it goes up the ramp would be excellent, and perhaps include a forward spawn in it.
4. Demo of it is available here: http://yinyarr.com/Automatic_Demos.aspx
5. Far more detail is needed on the second stage.
6. You might want to rethink red's spawn on the second stage. It's really tough pushing a cart past the spawn to win. Generally it works better if the spawn is behind the last cap. One solution would be to close off some of those passages out the front of the spawn to force people out the back. In addition, the spawn is somewhat confusing right now. Signs might help, but simplifying it a lot would do even more.

Overall, very nice changes so far.

Laz

Jul 5, 2008
thanks for that input I just played it with some guys I found who were playing it on their server, and blu spawn in stage1 defenitly needs to block red players.
also red needs a bigger disadvantage in cap 2 ofs tage 1.

the forward spawn idea is great! It could really help to fill out that area, and help balance issues.

this release was mainly to see the impact of changing the spawntimes. Ive added bit more detail here and there, but part 1 of stage 2 is a major issue, I might redo the whole section.

Laz

Jul 5, 2008
thought you guys might want to see this sketch from before I started the map
pl_haywood_sketch.jpg

flubber

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2007
Well we just played the beta 3, part.1 could not be finished, you have to put a real secondary acces, i mean one where one sentry doesn't cover the two only way in.
The way under the main building is so too easily covered, add ones which is longer but covered.

kaplan

L1: Registered
Mar 29, 2008
Play tested Beta 3. Flubber's heatmap on page 5 is roughly what my experience with the map was like. The Blu team was unable to move the cart out of the hallway after capturing the first CP. We ended up playing three rounds of stage 1.

A lot of players thought the bridge was too narrow/long as well. Beta 2 we were able to reach stage 2 by spawn camping red while a couple of players moved the cart past the bridge. I don't really care for this tactic but it seems the only way to get the cart past the bridge. If a secondary route were added as Flubber suggests, it would probably help the Blu team have a better chance of reaching stage 2.

Keep up the good work.