wip pl_explosive barrel factory

oxy

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 27, 2007
Where is the common love? I agree, I think the concepts look nice. As far as being realistic, the original payload bomb doesn't really look properly rigged to blow and has a cop light on top of it so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Trypto

L1: Registered
Apr 1, 2008
Funny thing. I just started work on a control point - harbor/port industiral themed map where blu defends. You're way ahead of me though...

marnamai

Dec 7, 2007
update 28/07

award for slowest mapper goes to me :blush:

I 've read that valve uses more bounces for vrad, expert compile yawol? What number of bounces is default and what number should I use for a tf2 map?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
10 is default I'm not sure what the max is but I recon 15 is highest you want to go without a supercomputer at your disposal.

Looking good btw :thumbup1:

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Just wondering, that flatbed truck model, will you be doing it/have someone do it, or is it already out there. I'm working on a map where the first point is a dock/harbor (it quickly moves underground), and that truck would add some nice detail.

marnamai

Dec 7, 2007
The truck will be made by my modeller, atm its not even started. Prioritizing, gotta finnish the bombcart first.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
10 is default I'm not sure what the max is but I recon 15 is highest you want to go without a supercomputer at your disposal.
I take that back, I compiled hoodoo last night and ran 20 bounces and rad only took an hour each time, I recon I could get away with 40 or so...

xxack

Jul 10, 2008
Looks like your breaking optimization's golden rule, too, is your map in a giant box?

Someone help me out on this cause I'm a super duper noob mapper;

What's wrong with a giant box?
I'm not trying to be like "There's nothing wrong with being in a huge box."
Just trying to ask what is wrong, so I know why not to do it.
Details, please. :]

Thanks!

And don't give up! :[

Dec 25, 2007
The problem with a giant box is that your video card ends up having to draw everything in the box at once, which makes for really low FPS. Optimising a map to improve the speed of a map is something you've really got to plan from the start, when designing the layout. But medium-sized rooms* connected by corridors with right-angle turns is usually great for optimisation; large open spaces not so much.

*These rooms can have skybox walls and ceilings of course, they don't have look like interiors.