WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Stink Horse

L2: Junior Member
Aug 1, 2009
Da Man: I've been noticing this lately, a lot of people are putting huge level defining props and elements BELOW the plane of game play. No player is ever going to see your huge awesome drill! Move it up, get it up above where the players fight, make them fight around it and under it! Let them see what they're fighting over.

Nov 14, 2009
Stink, although I agree with you in this point, I think that sometimes enormous props can still be effective lower down. For example, think of the Doomsday device in Scoville. Is it noticible? Yes. Is it lower than the playing area? Yes.

Stink Horse

L2: Junior Member
Aug 1, 2009
Hang on... looking up Scoville... and yeah WOW. That's pretty sweet looking. The difference there is that the sun device is extending upward toward the playing area. On top of that it extends out from the location that the players are moving directly toward. It's a vista. By contrast, Da Man's use of the drill in this case begins just below the plane of play and continues to extend downward well out of sight.

Think about ceilings. How many players actually look at a beautifully crafted ceiling? Not many. I do, because supports and struts are their own form of beauty, but most players? not many. Now if Da Man really wants this to be a center piece he needs to make sure the player's eyes land on it during play. Think of CP_Well. The final room. The rocket that sits above the point travels well out of sight, but the player is still drawn to notice it thanks to the fact that the point it rests above is elevated. The player is forced to look up to take in the point and receives the set piece as part of a visual bonus.

Da Man could do the same thing here. He could make the players descend down to get into this location, forcing them to look down into the death pit and see the drill as they navigate the stairs, But as this looks like a final point, that would be pretty rough on the defenders. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be a challenge. The other option is to raise the drill. It doesn't have to be all the way, Just enough to take in a huge piece of machinery, though I, personally, would pull it up completely over the plane of game play, or set it back far enough that the player could take it in as part of a vista.

Tehrasha

L3: Member
Nov 5, 2009
2-weeks-later
The more I worked on this hat, the less I liked how it was turning out.
The model was getting too box-like in order to get around that damn filter on the side of the Pyro's gas mask. So last night I fiddled with some scaling options to see if I could make it look better.

I like the meaner look, and I can eliminate the eyes and lower jaw from the polygon count!

pyro-hatv05.jpg

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Rexy, any particular plans for the plane model?

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
-Cha slide

:O A NEW THEME!!!!!!!??????? :D :D :D

Does that 'moon' have a gap that is as easy to shoot down as bullseye'ing wamprats? And is there a trench that is coincidently just wide enough to fit a certain space craft in?..Wait a sec, shouldn't that laser come from the 'moon'?

Jan 20, 2010
Made a "new" texture of sorts. It's the wood texture with holes, but the brick shows through. Thinking of adding a bump map to give the holes more depth. :p

cp_rum_a70011.jpg

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
Quoting for the new page. Looking for any suggestions.

It looks great, but the handle looks odd. It looks like it would be difficult to hold, the stock looks quite far away from the trigger.

Do you plan on adding a strap looking at those two holes underneath?

Mar 23, 2010
im in the middle of detailing stage 2, capture point 1 on promotion. some sneak peaks. NOTE: i still have to add some snow and lighting and props inside.

WIP1.jpg

WIP2.jpg

those support wall things look weird as hell.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Yeah, what's with the wooden supports on an entirely metal building?

Do something like this
mudslide4.png