WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
4g6mmt.jpg

Pool party baby, it was a cool party, cool pool party, la la la la.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
stalactite_01.jpg

zigrockground002_ssbump.jpg

Also, for the above image, I'll be writing a tutorial in the near future about ssbumps, and using a 3d software to generate excellent quality ssbump maps from either a flat, 2D image via normal map, or sculpted/geometric meshes. SSBump Generator 5.3, while a nice software for what it provides, is shabby and useless compared to results of an ssbump rig in a 3d software. Valve's own built in command line-based ssbump generator also didn't provide any satisfactory results, and took nearly 3 times longer to generate than SSBumpGen 5.3. The usefulness of a tutorial like the one I'm talking about will hopefully be a much needed thing.

Last edited:

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
You should use the mirrored version of those rocks , from what it looks like they aren't and they look a bit funny.

Huh. I didn't know there was a mirrored version of the rocks, I should look harder lol.
Thanks for letting me know that.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Jesus Lemminnes, that looks like it is offical stock map, tough i feel there is bit too much stuff on the complex walls now.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
The difference is in effect, mostly. Normal maps can give the illusion of depth, by means of highlighting areas of a normal map that 'pop' out along with directional shadows as determined by light sources. I like to describe ssbumps as a sort of pre-rendered ambient occlusion per-area as determined by light sources, and the given color directions of the map to create the illusion of depth.

I took this screenshot a while ago trying to figure out if I wanted normal maps or ssbumps for my world textures, and this is the result:
bumpoptions.jpg

The ssbump is much more subtle, and the normal, while already pretty strong, is a little jarring and I ended up going with the ssbump--and also because you can use $seamless_scale, which I'll probably need a lot of inside caves in the project I'm working on.

If you ever want to know the extent of how much each kind of map is used, fly around goldrush or badwater with "mat_normalmaps 1" and take a look. I think you'll be surprised, I was. Here's just a small part of goldrush I took a screenshot of and marked all the ssbumps with a red x and all the normal maps with a blue x:

ssbump_goldrush_usage.jpg

Edit: Supersandvich says seamless scale doesn't work in TF2, which if true is sad, because I haven't needed it yet, but I sure will. :*( Just like how I need refraction and selfillum to work together too. :**(

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
Today's work:

pl_corrode_a6test0015.jpg

pl_corrode_a6test0016.jpg

^ Where the cart "comes from" inside Blue Spawn

pl_corrode_a6test0017.jpg

^ Going to add more to the 3D skybox behind blue spawn, but this is it so far.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
You just can't wait for modular pool models, can you? You just gotta make a peanut instead.