[WIP] ctf_deli

Jamini

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2008
I circled some stuff i think you should fix because it looks goofy to me. Also in that hallway pic pic 5 I believe you need more lighting.

On a side note I think its going to be even easier now for scouts to run in grab the intel and escape even before a lvl 1 sentry goes up. That front door its like a 10 second run from base to base with a scout.

And definatly get rid of the HL2 textures they dont fit the map.

For the outside of the map you need to break it up better with the 3dskybox. It should look seamless. Instead of raising the rock on the edge try putting up fencing or walls and barricades. Also add props to the skybox.

Thanks for pointing those out, I've done some editing on both buildings to fix those weird shadows.

Re. Sgt Frag: Right now I'm working on adding in some areas the player cannot enter to use as a transition between the playing field and the 3d Skybox. Both there, and in the skybox itself there will be a number of buildings to give the impression of a small, underdeveloped town.

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
Version 3A is out! The first post has been updated to reflect this.

A small CTF map designed for small groups and fast gameplay. This is my first release and has not yet been tested in any server or MP setting. This is my first official map for TF2 so feel free to nitpick and bash all you'd like.

Version A3 is now out:

New Pictures:

ctf_deli_a30000.jpg

ctf_deli_a30001.jpg

ctf_deli_a30009-1.jpg

ctf_deli_a30003.jpg

ctf_deli_a30004.jpg

ctf_deli_a30005.jpg

ctf_deli_a30006.jpg

ctf_deli_a30007.jpg

ctf_deli_a30008.jpg

ctf_deli_a30009.jpg

ctf_deli_a30000-1.jpg

ctf_deli_a30002.jpg

ctf_deli_a30003-1.jpg

ctf_deli_a30004-1.jpg

ctf_deli_a30005-1.jpg

ctf_deli_a30006-1.jpg

ctf_deli_a30007-1.jpg

ctf_deli_a30008-1.jpg

ctf_deli_a30009-1.jpg

ctf_deli_a30010.jpg

ctf_deli_a30011.jpg

Vigilante212

L420: High Member
Dec 21, 2008
Looks a ton better.

Im going to tell you right now though you need to keep the intels on ths same kind of playform to keep it even I can already tell by the pics that its going to be alot easier to cap the red intel as it will be to cap the blue.

Did you change the way the players face when they spawn. facing out the window you always try to run that way right off the bat and its confusing. I found myself hitting the damn window almost every respawn. They should be facing the exit.

Let me know when the next playest is.

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
I'm pretty sure I fixed that right after gameday, nearly 100% sure. I'll keep note of it though.

Elle

L1: Registered
Jan 7, 2009
Playtest notes from the 1/10 gameday:

ctf_deli_a30001.jpg

This spot looks like it goes somewhere but doesn't, so it really needs to be blocked off if that's the intended edge of the map.

ctf_deli_a30002.jpg

Needs signage - people kept trying to run the intellegence into here (and subsequently dropping it).

ctf_deli_a30003.jpg

The ramp up to the roof here should be jumpable by most people but I was having a hard time getting up unless I hit it just right at the lowest end of it. It would be easier if people could just run up here.

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I've never had so much fun with the CTF gametype than with Deli!

I love the fast-paced action, without being too loose!

Definitely one of my favs

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
Playtest notes from the 1/10 gameday:

<snip>

Posts like these are awesome. Pictures help so much to identify things that need to be changed. Thank you!

Re. The Invisible wall. I've added some barricades to the road there, and I'm going to work on making it more apparant that it is a off-site road. The other side has 'farmhouse" style frame around the road, but I figured that this side needed something.

Re. Signs. That was another big thing mentioned last night. I've added resupply and control point signs to all of their respective doors. Honestly though, I don't think it'll help a lot with people running the intel in there. *I* still run the intel in there when I'm messing around on Deli, and I made the damn thing. :)

Re. Ramp. I've added a playerclip ramp up to that area, so it will be possbile to simply walk up there. changing the roof itself will be very difficult since I stupidly tied both of the roofs together under one func_detail entity. If the playerclip doesn't work, I'll probalby do some vertex editing or something.

Sgt Frag said:
Was pretty fun to play, lots of action for a ctf map.

Other than a little trim here and there to touch it up some I think the biggest thing is something I already mentioned in an earlier post. Surroundings.
But you had talked about buildings in the skybox, and honestly in game I forgot to look to see if you had done that yet.

For the 3d skybox I mostly went with the forest skycards and a few buildings along the road that runs perpendicular to the game area. Most of the rest of the buildings right now are in the "Transition Zone" between the playable area and the skybox. Since you've played it, the BSP is on your computer, so if you feel so inclined you can create a private server and look the map over.

Icharus said:
I've never had so much fun with the CTF gametype than with Deli!

I love the fast-paced action, without being too loose!

Definitely one of my favs

It's good to hear an offensive engineer (that's what I saw you doing most of the game day, anyway) had such a good time on this map. I do have one question however: how do you feel about the ability to build in the spawn room? (on the benches, and the floor next to the door.) When I first saw people doing that I was somewhat leery of it, but really I don't know how much it'll impact gameplay, if at all. Thoughts?

Finally, I've lowered the central segment of the BLU intel podium, place a small displacement in the tree bucket, removed the flamethrower in the RED intel room, moved the BLU back entrance to the intel room to match the location of the RED entrance, fixed some textures, and adjusted some off-kilter geometry.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I was a spy the whole time.

I never knew you could build in the spawn, but that's usually a bad thing.

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
I was under the assumption that it was mostly a problem because people could put unkillable teleporter entrances in the spawn on attack maps, forcing spies to directly confront the engineer to stop the flow of reinforcements. However, deli is so small that really tele's have limited (but nonexistant) use. I'd love to hear from bothe the engineers who played on the map, the the people taking down enemy engineer's stuff to find out how about how the new intel's could be balanced better.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I played as engi a little.

Yeah, intel builds are bad as spies can't destroy them. We had one tele going to the other roof for a long time so it helped.

I had a sentry on the intel for awhile, got quite a few kills but then an uber heavy came in the door.

I can't say I noticed anything either way, seemed balanced enough. I could guard the intel until an uber cam along, pretty standard. I think most of my kills came from the back as my sentry was visible outside.
-----------

I did hear one person complain a few times that the windows were too clear. Not sure why, think he was trying to shoot through them but couldn't.

Maybe 'paint' some of them. Alot of stores will have the lower 2 feet painted and maybe along the top a thin strip. Maybe they do it for decor, but it might help people realize there is glass there, it might also help people inside or outside hide a bit more.

Also, some cool store logos painted on the windows might help that out.

I didn't find knowing the glass was there a problem, but it is hard to hide behind.

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
Neither the map, nor I, are dead. I've been taking a little time off recently, but now I'm feeling better and back to working on getting deli to B1 asap.

I've been doing a little optimization, some texture work, adding a few props, and have been getting a few server owners to put deli up for more serious play-testing. Most prominantly, I've changed the textures for the glass so that outside it appears more grey-blue, while inside it's more of a red-white or teal depending on the side the glass originates from.

There are also many more clues and signs for the layout of the map.