[WIP]CTF_BankJob (BIG UPDATE!)

nossie

L3: Member
May 9, 2008
wow from the screenshots this map looks amazing. sry but i dont have the time to look at it in game. but id love to :p also make sure that hole that goes down into the ground(towards the vault) is big enough and u dont get caught on the edges or anything coz that could kill the flow abit

ArsenaL

L1: Registered
Jun 7, 2008
Unfortunately this map crashed the server when we tried to test it. Can anyone recreate this?

I'm working on a new build. I'd prefer no one recreate this. I want to fix it. Are there any errors? Any clue as to why it's crashing? It only seems to be on certain servers

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
I think he ment with can anyone recreate this, does other people have the same problems.
Mayby its a sv_pure setting orso?

ArsenaL

Jun 7, 2008
roger that, i did some research and apparently a high point entity count will crash some servers. Another individual at FPSB had the same problem on a linux server and it was when he switched classes.

I'm in the process of re-modeling some things to lower the file size and re-creating some custom decals. I estimate once i'm done with this i will be down towards 60mb (if i'm lucky)

My entity count was 2500 (YIKES!) and apparently servers disagree with anything that gets near 2000. 1500/1600 should be fine. I'm re-creating some gold bar models (that seemed to cause a lot of issues..).

Either way.. the RC build i'm doing now is much more FPS friendly and i decreased the entity count by almost 700. (lots of deleting...) hopefully it doesnt take anything too noticable away from gameplay. I also removed some dynamic models .. i read they can cause problems for linux servers as well. I should have my _rc ready in a few days to test. As for right now.. back to modelling.. i'm also making a model of the couch.. it will look much better than the current brush work.

ArsenaL

Jun 7, 2008
First i want to apologize for not providing tf2maps.net a release candidate. with only 36 downloads and few feedback i didnt think i'd get any info.

Thanks to all of you who downloaded and provided some feedback.

Here's the final release.

DOWNLOAD

readme notes:

ctf_bankjob is my first map. Most of the testing was completed on private servers by close friends.

================================================================
THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN CHANGED FOR FINAL RELEASE.

-Cubemaps built at lower resolution in certain areas
-Lightmap for ALL texture surfaces adjusted to decrease file size
-Numerous models re-accomplished to lower file size
-Linux server crash resolved
-Point entity crash resolved
-Point entity count decreased from 2,282 to 1,484. (main cause of crashes)
-All func_brush brushes were moved to world geometry. (caused visual issues)
-Added more hint brushes to lobby to reduce lag while leaving the banks
-Decreased amount of func_detail brushes to help control visibility
-Middle warehouse's entrances made smaller. You no longer lag while leaving banks
(before you rendered everything outside and the other bank entrances all at once)
-Tunnel displacements adjusted
-Re-modeled the gold bar stacks to reduce lag while entering vaults & free up memory
-Fixed several texture issues
-Added additional player clips
-Removed dozens of props & lights to reduce entity count
-Used lower quality textures in some areas to reduce file size

THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN CHANGED IN BETA 2.

-Geometry evened out in red spawn
-Geometry evened out in red stair well
-Pillars out side of blue bank turned into displacement tubes (very smooth)
-Skybox optimized & adjusted
-Tunnels optimized & adjusted
-numerous areas causing FPS issues corrected
-billboards on skyscrapers removed (they looked silly)

This map is being discussed here:
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=3200

Please rate and comment my map.

I enjoy reading everyone's feedback!!!

===========================================
Gametype: Capture the flag
Version: FINAL
Players: 32 Max (24 recommended)
Author: Derek "arseNal" Williams
E-mail: dwillsc@gmail.com
===========================================

THANKS TO:

Brainsample for the car models (downloaded from FPS banana)
Juice for the asphalt/road texture. (downloaded from tf2maps.net)

gH0sTy

Jul 25, 2008
Good to see you've posted your map here as well so hopefully the guys here can help to fix that linux server crash bug.
First I want to say that I run many many custom maps at my server and until now there are only 2 maps that crashes my server.
The first is tc_atlantic_v1 which causes a server crash immediately if I load the map, the second map is yours.
So here is what I wrote at FPSB... hopefully some guys can provide some solutions to fix the bug.
Unfortunately I have to tell you that your map is still crashing my linux server.
If I run to the Gold Bars, jump down to the tunnel and run towards the small canal, the server crashes immediately. If I just run around and don't use the tunnels the server also crashes sooner or later... once it took 3 minutes, once 7 minutes and once 10 until the server crashed.
Also there is still no log entry generated if f.e. a player joins the server etc. which is absolutely NOT NORMAL !! You should really find out why there is no log entry generated, maybe it's the key why this map crashes linux servers.
You may get in contact with me if there is a version that needs to be tested on a linux server.