WIP cp_pirate_island

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
Hey people, I finished the university exams yesterday, so I was going to start mapping again. I've had lots of problems with my pc the last 2 months, first my hard disk started to be damaged on some zones, 2nd I broke the motherboard trying to update the BIOS, 3th the had disk errors destroyed some of the windows system files so I was unable to boot my PC, finally I did a quick copy of the important files (music, mapping etc) and saved them on another partition of my PC. Since then I've been working(not mapping) with this another partition.

After that I was on exams period so I didn't map. But yesterday I was like "let's continue the map!" so I opened Hammer, loaded the map, but map wasn't loading + strange noise on the hard disk. After 2 minutes I got a BSOD. Rebooted the pc, and did the same thing 3 times with the same result.

The only thing I can say is my .vmf is damaged, I can't move it from the folder because it fails at reading the file. So sad, it was my first serious map, I learned modeling for creating this map and now it's gone.

RIP cp_pirate_island :( :crying:

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
but will there be ninjas?

ninjas, pirate island, guess I missed the connection..

Anyway, sad to hear, I've had similar happen to me. I had CD saves but they were WAY back in time. Too much stuff too redo...

Hope you have better luck with the rebuild. Back up to CD/DVD once in awhile though, especially if you are having major comp probs.

Bonafide

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 18, 2008
that boat looks more or less the same as the one from ctf_yaargh or however it is spelled.

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
I've never played yaargh...

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Looks different to me. I mean, it's a pirate ship, it's not exactly easy to make it seem different.

I'm sad to see this map go, I loved how it looked in the early screens. At least I know I can expect something good from you in the future.

Chilly

May 3, 2008
The ship looks considerably different from the one in yaaargh. The main similarity is that they both look like seagoing vessels from the 1700-1800's.

I'm disappointed people didn't get the ninja reference. :( Ninjas vs Pirates is one of the great Internet memes. In fact, my TF2 clan: http://www.yinyarr.com. :)

Anyway, can't wait for more screenshots. Looking nice so far.

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Anyway, can't wait for more screenshots. Looking nice so far.

Lol, read above, map is gone, my hard disk is damaged and the map file is broken so the map is dead :(

Chilly

May 3, 2008
Do you have any compiled test versions? Those would exist elsewhere on your drive. If so, you should be able to decompile and rebuild from there. Obviously decompiling messes up some things, but at least it wouldn't be a total loss. :(

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Yeah I have it, but the compiled map was an early version, I did all the first stage, and the compiled file is just the half of it. I don't have enought motivation to redo all the missing part. Thank you anyway.

roninmodern

L3: Member
Feb 5, 2008
do you at least have the models of the trees?