WIP cp_pirate_island

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
Well, my first model is compiled! It's a palm tree, trunk has bumpmap, it looks pretty nice. I'm gonna make lot of vegetation models and I'll make a vegetationmodelpack so you all can use them on your maps.

Don't pay attention to the FPS, you're not gonna get that low fps while playing this map. I just put x4 antialiashing to make the screenshots and it lows my fps that much.

palmmodeldr1.jpg

palmmodel2hq9.jpg

Last edited:

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
I've just coloured the sketch of the map. I thought about the layout of the first stage 2 days ago at night and I wasn't able to sleep because lots of ideas where making a party into my brain. So that's the result. I would love opinion about the layout, if it's balanced or not for the 2 teams, and if it's class balanced.

piratelayoutcopiavu5.jpg

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Ah I forgot to say, RED ATTACKS!

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
First thing that springs to my mind when I see the layout is that you've gotta make sure that those rocks and trees provide adequate cover on the beach, or else Blu's snipers are going to have a field day.

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
First thing that springs to my mind when I see the layout is that you've gotta make sure that those rocks and trees provide adequate cover on the beach, or else Blu's snipers are going to have a field day.

Yeah my plan is placing lot of vegetation, so the sketch is not detailed. The wall in front of 1rst cp will be high, and the vegetation above will be dense. There's an sniping room at the ship so both teams can snipe, but it will be difficult because the vegetation.

Last edited:

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
2 more palmys. A little banana tree and old banana tree with bananas. Yummy!

palmsod5.jpg

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
Those trees are looking pretty good, Im impressed :D

in regards to the layout... I would split that open beach area in two somehow. That way one sniper cant watch the entre beach front. Also, people with graphically challenged PCs will be able to enjoy your map as well (due to the amount of things being rendered cut in half)

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
hey thanks, I'm planning to make a whole tropical forest so I have lot of work to do lol.

Beach will be a lot more smaller , and I'm going to make another way to get into that natural stronghold (CP1)

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Early preview of first part of the first stage.

cppirateislandsecurity0dy5.jpg

cppirateislandsecurity0fz8.jpg

cppirateislandsecurity0il0.jpg

cppirateislandsecurity0cc4.jpg

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Just a furniture model I've made. Demoman Pirate Rum. Realize it's not the demoman bottle, isn't a reeskin.

cppirateislandsecurity0eh9.jpg

kimangroo

L3: Member
Mar 15, 2008
I'm looking forward to playing a beta of this map, it seems you're putting a lot of effort into it and it looks great! The tree models are wonderful and I love the idea of a thick dense tropical forest.

A couple of suggestions (wishes?):

1) Make sure you put as much time into custom soundscapes with this map as you have done with the models. Because you are doing such an exotic setting, you have a great opportunity to make the sound really stand out. If you've ever been in tropical jungle, you'll know it's just one of the craziest sound experiences out there; the insects, birds, howler monkeys etc... I can get you some good sounds if you need them.

2) Although it's looking perfectly adequate right now, I think you can still do better with the pirate ship itself. Looking at the setup of the map, it's the main piece, the one which makes your map what it is. My problem with it now is that it's looking too blocky. If you look at pictures of 17th Century galleons, they are so elegant and graceful. I think it would look better if you made the hull curve gracefully, extended the back of the ship above the water and added lots of detail, like a figurehead on the prow, the name of the ship on the back etc. It would be a lot of work but I think it would be worth it!

Good luck with it!

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
thanks a lot man. I'm taking lot of effort of doing it a very detailed map. First stage is going to be a beach stage, so it isn't going to have a lot of jungle, it will be more like dustbowl. But 2nd stage is going to be full jungle with lots of trees and folliage.

I think first stage isn't going to have ambient sound, but 2nd stage will definatelly have a jugle sound.

And yes, I think pirate ship needs more detail, but I think it will be very hard to make. I'll do what I can.

Last edited:

Narkissus

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 22, 2008
thanks a lot man. I'm taking lot of effort of doing it a very detailed map. First stage is going to be a beach stage, so it isn't going to have a lot of jungle, it will be more like dustbowl. But 2nd stage is going to be full jungle with lots of trees and folliage.

I think first stage isn't going to have ambient sound, but 2nd stage will definatelly have a jugle sound.

And yes, I think pirate shit needs more detail, but I think it will be very hard to make. I'll do what I can.

Lawl pirate shit. But seriously, you should atleast have a beach type waves lapping soundscape for that area. And a general sound for the part away from beach a bit. The 2fort outdoor pond sound or something like that is good for the beach id think.

You can see how it sounds by loading a map and opening console and typing playsoundscape and then a list will pop up sorta and you can go from there.