[WIP]cp_casablanca

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
Since displacements use normal textures, that is LightMappedGeneric, I doubt this, but who knows...

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
Uniform displacements maybe, but these are WorldVertexTransition textures... Although I doubt it changes anything regarding lightmapping. Anyways, I found this:

Valve Developer Community said:
Faces such as displacement maps calculate and use their own lightmap scale; different values will often get reset by Hammer to match the displacements' lightmap size.

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
So the 16 lightscale may be "larger" than the WB 16 lightscale. I may try to tweak the walls lightscale a bit. (and uniform textures, but for obvious reasons, they won't be used in the end)

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
Finally I've chosen to mix a real wall (carved with an underground storage room) and a displ one

These cutted corners get some weird lighting, probably because of env_light angle.

Apom

Sep 14, 2008
Try smoothing groups maybe? (I don't know if they work on displacements though)

Anyways it looks really cool now (and so much more detailed than before !), but I would put some concrete at the bottom of the grate so it's really embedded into the wall. Aslo that would make the ground displacement not end abruptly.

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
Yeah, maybe I could give the corners a more divided segmentations, but it's really at the bottom of the priority list. Chopping corners already does the trick to blunt a bit some proeminent angles.

I tried a mix of smoothing groups and setting more precise lightmaps but it doesn't change really the outcome. I suppose this angle is coincindentally the least lit in this area.

Currently I'm adding more and more custom textures, mostly recoloring of existing ones to get the whole atmosphère I'm looking for. Old HL2 tile textures have been removed, to leave place to new sets more fitting to tf2 look. I'm removing the desaturated blu concrete used on roofs borders in favor of a more brillant blu version. While the main theme is limited in term of textures (mostly white concrete, scarce wood), I've decided to use the other main TF2 themes to give each part of the map a slightly different atmosphere.

Blue spawn area is mostly spytech inside with some storage zones. Outside nothing special, some vent and randomly left other tools.
The point A will be a more industrial/warehouse theme zones, with leftovers on the grounds, truck, wood and rusty metal usage.
Point B will feature more greenish stuff, with palm trees on the roof, grass, and tiled balcony.
Point C will be more classy themed, with use of tiles and arabic decorations, water.
Center building will be red spytech themed with espionnage/fancy tech gizmo on the roof and computers inside.

Sorry, no pics this time, since currently point A is a huge mess with new areas I'm carving :blushing: I'm also redesigning the gameplay, mainly adding a new feature for both teams : more sentry friendly zones for Red, and a new covered access for Blu. I hope it will help out some classes suffering from the opened nature of the map.

Before, Blu could attack from the two story house H or the roof R. Red could use the facing roof or a little space at ground level. This space is being expanded and offered a second story as warehouse WH. To balance this new defense spot, Blu will have a side passage starting from H, that will be somewhat of oneway zone. (jumping classes or engies may use it the other way) Note that Red defense can currently use H as a first line defense zone, as long as engies provide support.

Last edited:

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
Well, things are going smoothly so far.

So here was the old CP A

and what it looks like now

Still have to decorate the inside of the warehouse, fix some shadows/lighting. Stuff like electric/telphone cables will be added later. Some stuff may be removed, too, since it's overcrowding.

Last edited:

Apom

Sep 14, 2008
Valve added blue overlays with A-B-C in the scout update, maybe they would be better fitting on that wall ?

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
You mean the capture name signs ? They're not definitive. I just keep them because the spots are already reserved this way.

I'll remove some of the wood in this shot, and try to integrate better the mining prop on the roof, maybe by making it lifting some metal bar or something, and anchoring it on the surroundings. The souroundings are a bit shadowy, so I may rise a bit the parameters of my environmental light

Last edited:

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
Okay, I did some adjustments to the point, removed unnecessary stuff. And played a bit with values to get an idea of what a "by night" version would look like. Of course I know of the huge gameplay issues, but stiking with a bright night (after all the sky is full moon) and boosting all ather lights, while using urban lamps could make the trick. For an alternate version

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
Okay, some new screens. Not begun the second cp yet but I've worked on the central building, the storage house, the skybox and some textures