• I don't map

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • It's a past-time

Votes: 59 44.4%
  • I make mario-kart maps/remake maps and hate mankind

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • To create something

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Oh god, why do I do it? MY ENTIRE BODY OF WORK IS MEANINGLESSS!!!!

Votes: 21 15.8%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 18 13.5%

• Total voters
Mar 23, 2010
boredom & love of tf2

wow i responded twice

I like creating things. I like tf2. Tf2 maps are challenging to make for the most part. Also, the perfect map doesn't exist. thats like saying no one has created the perfect painting.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
OTHER

because i hate myself

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
In short, i like to create something that others can play and enjoy for.

Once you play the games you like, there is a certain cycle that you will be going forward. For others it's getting admin status on their favorite server. For some it's getting into competitive play. To others, it's creating mods and such.

For me, it was running a server. Then came an opportunity to create a community and adding more servers. At some point there was an urge to make something for the community but lacking skills to do it. Tried many times, still failed. Beginning of 2008, after i beat the cancer, i really dug in and 6 months later, my first CS Source map was out. Been mapping since then for 3 different games, TF2 being the current point of interest. Here we are, 5 games and countless non released and released maps later.

Deodorant

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2011
To silence the voices.

Other than that, it's because I love the style of (vanilla) tf2 and I have a fascination with the creation of 3D environments. When I played TF2 I looked at all the funky constellations of stairs, the stylized wooden battlements, the winding basements, collapsed shacks, patchwork roofs, intertwining tunnels and so on and so on... And I kept thinking 'I want to make these things.' And then I did. And then I realized that I need to learn a fuckbunch about area design to end up with anything even remotely enjoyable, which came as a bit of a setback. But hopefully some day I'll have managed to figure out enough about that stuff to indulge in all the makeshift woodwork action that my little heart desires.

Gumby R0b0t

L1: Registered
Mar 29, 2013
I get really bored of playing on the same maps day in and day out. So i decided i would just have to make my own maps to defeat my boredom with the old ones.

Burnout6010

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 14, 2012
I liked creating LEGO's but then I got bored then I found out about Source SDK and that's pretty much it bai

Jan 8, 2011
I'd like to motion for a "masochism" option to be added to this poll.