• I don't map

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • It's a past-time

Votes: 59 44.4%
  • I make mario-kart maps/remake maps and hate mankind

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • To create something

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Oh god, why do I do it? MY ENTIRE BODY OF WORK IS MEANINGLESSS!!!!

Votes: 21 15.8%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 18 13.5%

• Total voters

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
I've been pondering a mapping project, and it seems like almost every train of thought gets derailed by a simple idea: why? I know it sounds really pessimistic, but I just can't find a motivation. Thus, I have decided to take it to the public.

Why do you map? In a world where good maps are ignored, valve has their own mappers, competition is fierce and cp_orange_x and 2fort_???? are topping the map-lists, why do you continue?

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I just find it fun and challenging but still theoretically rewarding. It also makes me feel good to be learning something about the Source engine, however minor this corner of it may seem or be. Also, as soon as I announced my intention to map all my TF2 playing friends started to think of me as someone super brilliant, which is not going to help my ego but is nice to hear.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I originally started because it was fun building massive rooms to battle it out with 10000 vortigants and headcrabs with an autogun/the eon gun.

Then just out of curiosity i started building lazer traps and watched them gib in mortal rave parties.

Then before i knew it i had the capacity and understanding to build real maps. i release my first map publicly after 4 years of pissing about in WorldCraft (now Hammer) for DoD 1.3

Joined a HL2 zombie mod HoldOut which got packed in and liquidated to Zombie Panic Source.

Have continued to mess around in Hammer but never really took my work seriously until about a year ago when i came out a 7 year relationship (was planning a design studio with her, i did graphic design, she did illustration) and questioned where i wanted to take my life. I realised that although i'm a competent graphic designer my passion lies in creation on a more fundamental level.

As a kid i played with lego and K'nex, i would rather build sandcastles than swim in the sea. This and other world editors have been a boon of creativity for me. I just can't keep myself away from creating maps and i hope that one day i can take it professionally.

Sep 1, 2009
...I map ..... I detail .... therefore... i am.

Its kinda a hobby an passes the time. Also hom else doesn't like making stuff?!

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I always liked making worlds for people to enjoy.

One day I hope to be part of a MMO where I can craft the entire world and the story and lore behind it.

Mould

L2: Junior Member
Apr 9, 2010
It's something me and my friends share in common. We map together. We can look at the finished product and say that we did that. It is a product of our friendship.

Cliche ended, I also map because it gives me something to do.

niikuu

L1: Registered
Jul 31, 2010
Every compile i am amazed at the programmers' side,
screaming in awe, frankenstein style
"ROARGHH, IT WORKS!"

Ginger

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 29, 2010
Other : I wish to get into the game's Industry, and it's the best free way start :D

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
I voted "Players want a map with unique gameplay and theme" but for me its not so much the players but that I want unique maps. I love playing new maps, though some of them are just awful.

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
I map because I want to make a map that gets seriously played or at least recognized as fun by the community. None of my friends think my mapping is a good hobby so I wanna show em while having another outlet for creativity.

Hastur

L1: Registered
Jul 30, 2010
I've been building with anything that came out of a box marked "LEGO" for as long as I can remember, and this just feels like the logical extension of that passion.

Also, having other people see your work is (mostly) reward in and of itself.

Mar 23, 2010
I like creating things. I like tf2. Tf2 maps are challenging to make for the most part. Also, the perfect map doesn't exist. thats like saying no one has created the perfect painting.

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
I don't.

temion

L2: Junior Member
Aug 16, 2008
I map because my server community wants me to. Its also fun and a good pass time.

sniprpenguin

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 14, 2008
Ultimately, it's for that feeling you get when you and your friends have a blast playing something YOU made, whether it be a TF2 map or a simple card game. :p

Also, I'm trying to get into the industry.

ricardojvc6

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 8, 2009
I map cause i want to give something new to TF2, i want new creative ideas for maps thats why i like to map for tf2, i want to create something to entretain myself.