When did you start playing TF2?

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Aug 2008. I got on Steam specifically for TF2 after seeing the Meet the Scout video. I remember watching the video with a couple of friends and we were all dying to play it.

Very first class and map: Sniper and 2Fort. OF COURSE.

Then the three of us learned the true joy that comes from being a trio of W+M1 pyros that all went after the same targets at the same time.

Ahhh, and the days of tc_hydro on HK Central with the regulars. Nostalgia, I has it.

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
i joined right before the mvm update ... i don't remember why I downloaded ... probably cause I say the tf2 guys in a garys mod vid and backtracked to their source

for the first few months I was like ... eh

steam, item drops, crates, it was all kind of overwhelming at the time

then I stopped playing for like half a year or so to do other things

when I eventually picked back up, i found a 24/7 fast-respawn 2fort server .... and the dead ringer

haha

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

even though I rarely use it now (use c&d ... or inivisiwatch if the map has enough ammo) the deadringer is what helped me master spy

and then I went through the other classes over time

regardless

it has been my go-to game ever since

Sep 19, 2010
September 2009. I tried it out when they had a free weekend going on, but I can't remember exactly when that was. Found it at Gamestop for Xbox 360 earlier that summer and played it at a friend's and then finally bought it that fall from Best Buy. I didn't even buy the Orange Box, just TF2.

Crazy to think I've been playing for five years. I only have 1,200 hours though, so compared to a lot of people that have played since 2009, I'm still pretty fresh.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
I started playing in February 2013, because the game took 6 years to download.

But actually, I'd been meaning to play for about a year prior, but I'd only gotten a computer reasonable capable of running the game at that point.

Curtain_Pole

L1: Registered
Aug 4, 2012
Got The Orange Box for Christmas 2007 and started playing in February 2008 (We had to get broadband so it went unplayed for a month) Joined in after the medic update

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
iKz5biK.png

Missed out on the silver badge by like 8 days, heh.
That can't be right. I have bronze and I've been playing since December 2008.

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
I watched the Zero Punctuation review of the Orange Box in early 2010 - Valve and PC games weren't really on my radar at this point - so the most interesting title to me was TF2 because it was a multiplayer shooter and I was told many great things about it. I bought the Orange Box for XBOX 360 in May 2010, and spent the next several months coming to terms with the fact that all of those great things wouldn't be available to console players any time soon. So I bought a PC which could run TF2 in mid-December as an early Christmas present to myself. And the rest is history.

Moonfixer

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 23, 2014
I'd say at around late 2010 I purchased the orange box for the Xbox 360 before I had the computer I have now. I was really interested in tf2 when a friend of mine in college showed me one of the meet the team videos... I believe it was meet the scout, I'm not sure. Anyways when I finally got my computer I got tf2 and started playing at around 2011.

Mar 23, 2010
2009 xmas with the war update. the possible peak of tf2??

Nov 2, 2010
I started playing 2009, during the Sniper vs Spy update. My first experience of TF2 was Spies and Snipers everywhere. It didn't leave a good impression. :p