What have we learned

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I learned that texturing in alpha is not such a bad idea if you have a plan, and aren't afraid to delete and redo a lot of work.

Saved me a lot of pressure on the final detailing week. It was also easier to show the map to people.

Last edited:

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
i learned a lesson of building in a modular fashion, and using visgroups extensively. makes it so much more easy to add/remove paths and test different layouts (or partial base rebuilds)

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
gosh, what did i learn...

I learnt that I need to work on scale.
I learnt that while things can look ok in dev textures, the brushwork might be completely messed up.
I learnt that sometimes it's better to just give up on a map and move on (solvent, ellis).
I learnt that getting your account hacked and hence having no access to SDK while you're on holiday in the remotest part of Scotland with no internet for a week, can be slightly counter productive when it comes to mapping.
I learnt that I probably should have released ctf_ellis_a1 to test, seeing as it actually worked and everything :/

ooh, and I learnt how to check for leaks! I'm getting there, slowly but surely...

TerabyteST

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 18, 2009
I learned that I should never ever leave contest maps for months and then rush them the last 4 days. Or I'll end up working 27 hours on the same map in 4 days. And that feels bad.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I learned that I will never again work on a map for a mode I hate. So much wasted time! :c

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
I've learned a lot about optimizing and detailing. I got a lot less stressed once I got Wiretap into Beta.