What have we learned

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Grim Tuesday, May 8, 2010.

1. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    OK, so the contest has ended! I had fun, I learned how to use hammer, I cant wait until the next contest when I can show my improved mapping muscle!

Anyways, what have we learned about contests in general? What would you change about this contest if you were going to do it again? What worked out/didnt about the contest? Finally, what would like like to see as the next major contest?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    I don't want another CTF contest. Also having it as a "competitive TF2" focused contest bothered me. I'd much prefer a A/D or PL contest next. Those are fun to make. :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. strangemodule

strangemodule L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    "I always win!"

But in seriousness, it was a fun contest that motivated me to map. Plus, the very simple setup of the CTF mode gave us more time to think outside the box and less time getting the mode to work properly.

4. Sel

Sel Banned

Positive Ratings:
    I learned that I'm not modeling something for ravidge again unless he provides better references or concept art!!! ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    Lemines, Ive always wanted to ask you: How do you pronounce your name? Is it like lemons or what?

Anyways, back on topic, I really dont want to see anything symmetrical any more. I really dislike the stage where I go and turn around the map. For some reason, it pisses me off to the max.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Geal

Geal L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    It seems like most people are wanting a 3-stage A/D CP contest. As for what I learned from this contest? Don't sit around doing pretty much nothing for the first two months. [​IMG]

7. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    what I learned:
    -don't start your map in the middle of the 3rd month
    -plan some times for compiling/pakrating/uploading... this one was way too close for me lol
    1 min past the deadline and it locked

8. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    I learned how to bake things like AO and normal maps from high poly to low poly meshes in blender.

9. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    Despite not participating, I learned the importance of spawn locations, spawn timing, and pacing from playing the maps as they develop.

10. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    Lem - in - nes.

11. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    This, though "bothered" isn't exactly the word I would use <_<

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    Haha. I was being polite.

13. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    I have learned that I can never plan too far ahead. The number of entries we receive for each contest is increasing exponentially :blink:

14. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
    I learnt that people don't like new gamemodes, and that if I really want to finish something within a set timezone, that I can do it!

Also, I learnt not to feel cocky when you submit your map on the second last day, thinking there'll only be 6 entries, only to wake up on the saturday and see over three pages¬

15. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    I've learned how much I dislike mapping for CTF, and how hard it is to actually get some posts in your maps thread once in a while.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  16. Jimmy

Jimmy L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ive learned how to map for tf2, and that my first map didnt turn out as sucky as I thought it would!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I already knew I hated CTF, no changes there.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. Eyce

Eyce L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Essentially the same. :p

19. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Well i enjoyed being able to resolve some of the classic ctf issues. I enjoy playing ctf and so i enjoyed making a ctf map. Plus ctf needed some loving.

(I could have sworn i posted in here earlier).

20. Ezekel

Ezekel L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    heh, i basically made an entire map in the thursday and friday leading up to the end, so don't feel too bad about starting 3 months into it.

so you learnt something you already knew...

i learned:
    - not every map will work out. i started 2 threads in the contest area for maps that i never continued for different reasons (though mainly cos the maps themselves started rubbing me the wrong way), there's also one map that didn't work out because it just was a lil too daring.
    - when your "rotation" skip brush that covers your entire map ends up off centre for whatever reason, it REALLY sucks.
    - staticpropslighting really is your friend, but don't start using it till you're close to the end, it really adds to the compile time
    - how to create power from a simple sandvich. when our gravel reserves run out in real life i'll be prepared! :)