What do you do while waiting for your map to compile?

kwagner

L2: Junior Member
Feb 28, 2009
I web browse on my laptop while my desktop compiles, or watch TV, or add/subtract coffee, or do the things I should be doing instead of mapping.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
I alt+tab into TF2 (which is already running). My compiles take like 15 seconds, thank god for my small map. One of my acquaintances, Chro, had like 16 hour compiles before he optimized his map, which then took 2 hours. I believed he compiled his map when he left to do other things in RL.

pl

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 6, 2009
Compiling for me right now usually takes about 10 minutes, so I usually just browse the forums, if not that, I'm sitting here, watching the numbers go up on the compiling :woot:

(not really)

I do just sit there sometimes though...

Last edited:

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
My girl friend is lucky there is such a thing as compile times...

Other wise, she would never see me!

:lol:

I'm kidding!

But, seriously

- play guitar

- post around at my fav forums, but If I'm doing a final compile I wont touch the computer.

- Drink beer

- Talk on phone

- play guitar hero/rock band on PS2

- chores

May 2, 2009
While my map is compiling I like to watch tv. Purely channel surfing. And sometimes I take out my pencil and sketch book and start drawing anything that comes into my mind.
Of course when I'm mapping I listen music using program called Spotify :wow:

Shaar

L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin
Aug 7, 2008
I just alt tab out of the compile window, and then just chat to people and look on forums and the such.

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
My compiles last 1 minute and a half, so there's not much to do.

Same for me. When mapping I usually do a compile with normal VVIS and no HDR - takes less than 2 minutes. For a final compile VRAD takes significantly longer, depending on the map complexity (up to 45 minutes, ~20mins for both LDR and HDR). So most of the time I check e-mails or browse the internet when compiling.

Btw. why doesn't VRAD have the -low flag like VVIS? I'd like to set the thread priority to low so it won't eat up 100% CPU power.

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
Seriously? VVIS on low doesn't take any longer than without the flag (from what I noticed). If it would double the compile time for VRAD I still would want to use it. A compile time of 2 or 3 minutes is acceptable to me - well...still annoying to compile (compared to let's say Crytek's Sandbox Editor where you can create & test maps in realtime).