What annoys you about hammer?

Aug 10, 2009
I can just close and open the model browser, and ender doesn't close the vertex edit box for me :( I just try to do anything I don't need vertex editing for, then restart hammer when there's nothing else I can do. Also, Megawac, I'm pretty sure that's because you hit 'z'

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
That's weird. I've only once had a problem with the model browser. Usually it's the texture browser.

Which reminds me of another annoying thing: the texture browser crashes Hammer entirely if I use a keyword. Filter words are fine, but keywords == crash. So used to only using filters that I didn't even think of that before.

Kep

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
you have to hit enter on the 2d views (idk if its the one the box was created in or not)

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
That's weird. I've only once had a problem with the model browser. Usually it's the texture browser.

Which reminds me of another annoying thing: the texture browser crashes Hammer entirely if I use a keyword. Filter words are fine, but keywords == crash. So used to only using filters that I didn't even think of that before.

Kep
Does it actually crash or does it lock up? Filters are easy because it's by filename, keywords are inside the vmt, so occasionally it will lock up for a minute or two while it reads all the vmts if you enter a keyword with no filter to cut down on the amount.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Does it actually crash or does it lock up? Filters are easy because it's by filename, keywords are inside the vmt, so occasionally it will lock up for a minute or two while it reads all the vmts if you enter a keyword with no filter to cut down on the amount.

It actually crashes. No error notice, just pauses for about 20-30 seconds then shuts down entirely (hammer window vanishes, gone from process explorer/task manager).

Wondering if maybe I have a custom material with a bad keyword in it. Hmm.

[Edit] Huh! Just did a quick test since I had Hammer open -- while set up for another game (Zombie Panic Source), keywords do not crash Hammer. In fact, it pulls up textures lightning fast. The problem seems to be just for TF2 (hadn't tested L4D yet). Guess I should root through my TF2 textures and see if there's something wrong with one of them.

Kep

Last edited:

NoodleCollie

Stoat fiend
aa
Jul 30, 2009
I:

A. Hate the way that L4D Hammers take years to start (wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for point B)
B. Hate the fact that if I use the flags tab more than a couple of times the whole program crashes. This sometimes happens with just opening the properties of an entity if I've been working on something for hours+.

Apart from those two, I do love the program itself. Just a few stability updates would do wonders.

Kinky

L1: Registered
Feb 19, 2009
That 1x1x1 Source Units is completely unproportionate to 1x1x1 Max Unit... I mean... Srsly?!

Other than that.. great program

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
You must be doing something wrong. 1 unit in MAX has always be equal to 1 unit in Source for me.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Hammer is just annoying in general.

This:
SS-2009.10.24-12.34.02.png

SS-2009.10.24-12.34.34.png

this:
SS-2009.06.23-19.58.24.png

And this:
SS-2009.12.11-19.08.07.png

After ~2 hours, it just refuses to finish the second vrad? It just dies.

All images are really old, but these are by far the most annoying moments.

Cynick

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 7, 2010
I hate it how the model browser often freezes, so i always have to restart hammer.

THIS!

although, i don't restart hammer, it will just not respond, except i can close the browser and reopen it, yet it still won't respond.

to fix, i just clone the model and then it will work again, but NOT for the original.

The fact that I can't directly control it with my mind.

If we're being serious though, this:

I didn't see a solution to this (other than restart hammer), so I figured I'd post this. This fixes the model browser for me:
  • Close the model browser
  • Close any entity windows you have open
  • Click on the "Selection Tool"
  • Press Shift-Q to deselect all
  • Re-open the model browser and whatever entity windows you closed

Hopefully this works for you guys too. It's annoying as hell.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
I'll give that a try next time it happens. Thanks.

On a fresh topic: The fact that you can't undo changing the power of a displacement is rather annoying.

Oh and Ravidge your post made me lol.
Fatal Error
Fatal Error
Fatal Error
Fatal Error
add infinitum...

DrummerX

L1: Registered
Nov 22, 2009
Aight i just lol'd through this whole thread and was surprised no one has had the problem i've had....

Open up hammer, load up a map and whatever you do you can NOT select anything, you go to click and it acts like you're manipulating your camera, in both 3d and 2d views, hit every dang tool button you see, every key combination you can think of except alt+f4 ><. Somehow after crtl+alt+del and re-entering hammer, its back to normal. Happens to me about once a week.

NoodleCollie

Stoat fiend
aa
Jul 30, 2009
I've found out recently that using the -both command for VRAD (as opposed to separate -ldr and -hdr commands) can sometimes cause the second half of the process to crash. -ldr and -hdr should fix the problem.

Pc_Madness

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 31, 2009
I hate it how the model browser often freezes, so i always have to restart hammer.

Are you sure its frozen? Sometimes when I open it it just won't do anything, hit the X on the Model Browser and reopen it, and its fine.

For me as a newbie,
- doors. Gah, I can never seem to get the angles right. On a side note, why is there a door and a door_rotating? Surely these could be the same thing?
- Model browser not remembering my filters
- Drawing a new brush and it getting some completely insane height / width from another brush, yet sometimes it will create it in the same size as the currently selected brush. :p
- Some of the error messages in the compile log spit out coordinates that can't be copy pasted directly into the Go To Coordinates thingy
- Middle click in 3D view not being.. pan? Like in most other 3D apps.
- Lack of a "make awesome map" button.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Are you sure its frozen? Sometimes when I open it it just won't do anything, hit the X on the Model Browser and reopen it, and its fine.
Yeah that happens sometimes too, but often when it locks up, it locks up GOOD, and closing / reopening doesn't do a thing until hammer's been relaunched.
For me as a newbie,
- doors. Gah, I can never seem to get the angles right. On a side note, why is there a door and a door_rotating? Surely these could be the same thing?
Func_door moves along a linear path in a given direction. func_door_rotating rotates around an axis.
- Model browser not remembering my filters
No argument here.
- Drawing a new brush and it getting some completely insane height / width from another brush, yet sometimes it will create it in the same size as the currently selected brush. :p
Pretty sure it ALWAYS goes from the currently selected brush or the previously selected brush (when you have nothing selected). Remember the dimensions also depend on which view you're working in.
- Some of the error messages in the compile log spit out coordinates that can't be copy pasted directly into the Go To Coordinates thingy
wat
- Middle click in 3D view not being.. pan? Like in most other 3D apps.
fair point.
- Lack of a "make awesome map" button.
Mine does, it's 'F9'. :p
Yeah OK, maybe not. But seriously, where would the fun be in that?