Weapon stat ideas! (because steam workshop ain't enough!)

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Overloader
Sapper
Buildings destroyed while sapped damage enemies
Only one sapper at once
Put this on a building, and when the building explodes, it hurts its owner and anyone/anything else nearby.

Sorry to go so far back into the thread, but I read through and found this weapon here.

It seems to be a weapon from the depths of griefville.

Please use quotes to reply ._.

Coolz

L2: Junior Member
Sep 19, 2013
This is a funny one I had thought of long ago:

Saboteur's Satchel Charge Spy Sapper

-Does not disable buildings
-Does not do damage over time
*Silent, but still alerts the builder
-50% health
*After 5 seconds, the sapper will detonate, dealing damage to enemy players and 300% damage to enemy buildings

This is actually VERY close to one of my sapper ideas..

The Nest Buster (could use a better name though) Spy Sapper
-Does not disable buildings
-100% damage penalty

+Does not alert the engineer on placement, so they actually have to look and see things
-Takes forever to detonate
+If it actually DOES detonate, it will do massive damage to buildings and players around it
Engineers can remove it in one whack

Tired of those engineers building in the exact same spot? Is it impossible to get even one building down?
Then just this Mann-Co issued C4 to bring them to their knees.

Might be OP at first, but it encourages engineers to look and see things-- and that doesn't even specifically apply to engineer, they'll start looking more as other classes too.

Last edited:

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Hey, I just remembered a weapon idea that I had a while ago, and I think this time it's not complete garbage.

Engineer secondary,
Short circuit variant:

The Thunderclap

+25% damage bonus
+25% faster fire rate
+2 health on hit
+40 health on kill
No reload necessary

No random critical hits
Does not destroy projectiles
Per Shot: -6 ammo
Uses metal for ammo
No metal from dispensers when active.

It's generally designed to go in a friendly conjunction with combat engineers, as it gives them a rather powerful force to be reckoned with that is actually fair, rather than an annoying nullifier, or a crappy pistol.

It's also nice in defensive situations if the engineer is in a pinch, you can't really repair your buildings if you're dead.

Toomai

L3: Member
Apr 14, 2011
Problem: Sentries can't move. They're sitting ducks.
Solution: Have a slightly weaker sentry that makes itself harder to hit.

Texas Bulldog
Wrench
Builds an ambulatory sentry, leashed to initial building point
Runs from projectiles and ÜberCharged players
Fires upon bumping stealthed spies
Max level of 2
180-degree field of vision
Stunned for (damage/60) seconds by critical hits

Turns your sentry into a guard dog. It wanders around at random within a circle around where it was initially built; it can't walk off edges or around corners (and because it's immune to knockback, it can't be forced to do so). It can't see behind itself, but when it does spot an enemy, it starts firing and jumping around at random, making itself harder to hit. If it sees an incoming projectile, it runs away; it can only run from projectiles it sees, but once a projectile is seen it remains in memory until it's destroyed (so it'll avoid running over old stickies unless it's caught in a corner). If it runs into a cloaked or disguised spy, it fires at that spot for a second. When wrangled, left-click is "enable shield and fire here" and right-click is "disable shield and go here", the two can't be used at once.
  • The good: Runs away from rockets and stickies; much harder to destroy with rocket sniping or a sticky carpet. Unpredictable movement makes it harder to shoot overall. Runs from übers, forcing them to at least waste a bit of time chasing. Creates a zone where spies have to be careful about sneaking around.
  • The bad: Blind to anything it has its back turned to, making random scouts, stab-n-sap spies, and such more of a threat. Might decide to walk out from behind cover at a bad time. Doesn't fire at übers, so no protective knockback. No rockets, max 180 HP. Crits don't do additional damage, but make it stand still for a split second. Can't be built in tight corners or overly-narrow passages. Doesn't stand still when you're trying to wrench it.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Valve has experimented with swapping out the teleporter and dispenser before; I wonder if they've even considered such a radical alternative to the sentry gun. The idea of a bot with a patrol route is very interesting and immediately reminds me of Deus Ex, but that's a single-player game; putting something like that in a multiplayer map that can be theoretically placed anywhere could be very hard to design for. Does the entire perimeter need to be clear (no nobuilds, not too much uneven geometry, etc) or will it just navigate around any obstructions, constricting its walk path? To say nothing of the additional resources required by the server for incorporating a more robust AI; MVM treats its bots like human players for that very reason.

It's a very neat idea, in theory, and if Valve announced they were working on a complete remake of TF2 that's built from the ground up to accommodate loadout variety, I could easily see them putting something like this into it, but as it stands, I'm not sure it could work.

Moonfixer

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 23, 2014
It would also be somewhat funny if it chased you down.

Toomai

Apr 14, 2011
Does the entire perimeter need to be clear (no nobuilds, not too much uneven geometry, etc) or will it just navigate around any obstructions, constricting its walk path?
I would think it needs more space than a normal sentry to be placed, but it wouldn't need the entire area to be clear. I imagine it being chained to a toolbox on the ground, and it refuses to go places if it can't return to the center in a straight line (so can't walk around pillars or up stairs).

D

Digaag Wa Riz

Speaking of building replacements, here's something that almost definitely has been thought of:

Zipline Entrance Engineer Teleporter Entrance Replacement

*Builds the starting point of a zipline
*The zipline is ridable from its entrance to its last attachment point, but can be released
early by jumping
*Attachment points can only be destroyed if the entrance is destroyed
*Cannot be moved once an attachment point has been made

Zilpine Attachment Point Designator Engineer Teleporter Exit Replacement

*Fires an attachment point from the zipline entrance to the area in the player's crosshair
(targets identically to the Wrangler)
*If there is already an attachment point, it can be fired once more from the first attachment
point to a new attachment point

So to clear some confusion, you ride the zipline from the entrance to its attachment points, by standing on the entrance like you would a teleporter. The speed of travel along it would be increased with each level. And yes, this would be utterly pointless on mannpower mode. Its obviously limited by the sightlines of a map, so it is potentially not as far reaching as a teleporter. However, it is much faster to set up and can allow teammates to reach places only soldiers and demomen could reach normally (or a sentry jumping engineer, but that takes much more time).

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Clusterbomb
Level 1-100 Sapper
Upon building destruction with sapper: Scatter six grenades into the surrounding area
-20% damage penalty

If you can down a building with the sapper, you'll wreak havoc on its surroundings. Ideal for quickly taking out an unmanned nest or surprising players walking by a forward or damaged building.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
That could be slightly OP because you could sap a whole nest, and while the engie is focusing on the sentry something else goes down and takes out the whole nest and the engie with it.

Moonfixer

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 23, 2014
What if the scout had a drink item that "painted" enemies so that your teammates can see their outline through walls. Just a thought.

Poisontrigger

L1: Registered
Feb 13, 2015
I've had these ideas for a real long while:

Ice Flamethrower:
+ -25% Compression Blast Cost
+ On Hit: Slow Down Target(Just like the Natascha).
+ Can Destroy Stickies with Compression Blast
+ Compression Blast freezes Target for 0.5 Seconds.

- -15% Damage Penalty
- No Afterburn Damage
- Compression Blast Destroys Projectiles
- 25% Slower Weapon Switch from primary.

The Deviator(Grenade Launcher) based from the game Dune 2000:
Direct Hit Crits On Buildings Will Capture The Building for 5 Seconds.(2.5 Seconds to Convert)
Pushes Players Back On Hit.(Not As Strong as the Loose Cannon)

Once it detonates:
Gas Lasts For 4 Seconds.
Gas Does 6 Damage Per Tick.
Aftergas Of 2 Seconds (Similar to the GRU and Escape plan 3 seconds of mini-crits after switching weapons).

- -50% Damage Penalty
- -25% Firing Speed.
- Canisters Do Not Explode on Direct hits.
- 34% Heavier Projectile
- Self Damage From Gas

- Pyros Can Airblast Active Canisters.(Ice Flamethrower will destroy Canisters)
- Damage From Gas Does Not Stack.(2 or more Different Demomen's canister's gas will stack though)
- Captured Buildings are Team Neutral but Will not attack your team and attack the other team.
- Pyros can Air Blast Aftergas.
- Captured Buildings Take 34% More Damage From All Sources Except Enemy Canisters.

The Mace(Demoman Melee):

+ Crtis do 50% More Damage = 293(base 195).
+ Colliding with Enemies at the front will get hurt (5 per tick)
+ Each Normal Swing has a chance to inflict a Second hit. (25% Chance of second hit, Second Hit does 50% Damage).

- No Random Crits
- -20% Damage Penalty
- -30% Swing Speed
- -10% Movement Speed On Wearer

(NoNameYet)Grenade Launcher:

Explodes on contact of enemy regardless of bounce.
Grenades are more bouncy and will ricochet indefinitely. Their lose of momentum is very very low.
+ +40% Projectile Speed.
+ +50% Clip Size.
+ +25% Firing Speed.

- -25% Damage Penalty.
- +4 Seconds fuse time.
It's like a Scottish Resistance but more dynamic and a grenade launcher.

New Idea:
I've been thinking about the buffalo steak, I really think instead of the +25 Damage taken. It should be the other way round -25% Damage taken. Also I think the Heavy should get a backpack which allows him to carry one teammate. The passenger can't carry his own passenger.

+ +25% Recharge Rate/Reload Speed.
- Replaces Minigun

Once he has a passenger:
+ -40% Damage Taken(For both the heavy and his passenger).
+ +30% Melee swing rate.

- -20% Movement Speed Penalty.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
What if the scout had a drink item that "painted" enemies so that your teammates can see their outline through walls. Just a thought.
Sounds like a too easy to apply feature that is extremely strong.
Ice Flamethrower:
+ -25% Compression Blast Cost
+ On Hit: Slow Down Target(Just like the Natascha).
+ Can Destroy Stickies with Compression Blast
+ Compression Blast freezes Target for 0.5 Seconds.
There is a reasony why people hate natasha already. And that is once you get hit there is no chance to run away. This flamethrower would do exactly the same and guarantees a death to most classes. I would be a huge W+M1 noob weapon.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Sounds like a too easy to apply feature that is extremely strong.

There is a reasony why people hate natasha already. And that is once you get hit there is no chance to run away. This flamethrower would do exactly the same and guarantees a death to most classes. I would be a huge W+M1 noob weapon.

dat aughta taughtcha not ta use da natasha

Toomai

Apr 14, 2011
I always thought of an ice-based weapon that could freeze enemies, with the caveat that frozen people are immune to damage, knockback, and status until a second after they thaw and can run away. (And friendly Pyros could free them immediately.) So it would be a crowd-control tool more than a killer. But then the Spy-cicle happened and Valve linked "frozen" to "corpse", so that's out the window.

Oct 6, 2008
Weapon: Fire and Brimstone
Class: Pyro
Weapon Slot - 2nd
Number of shots: Once Every 20 - 30 seconds
Weapon Style: Flaregun
Targeting - ground only - no players
Effect: - flare projectile hits the area that you're aiming at - flashing target decal created - giant flaming napalm bomb comes down from the sky on hit explodes removing the decal and burns everything within x distance with 300 damage or a fall of scale.
Other: Can be airblasted to change direction of it.

Weapon name: The Stinger
Class: Sniper
Weapon slot: Primary
Number of shots: regular
Weapon Style: Bow and Arrow
Target: Player
Short range weapon
Effect: Random head shot every 15 arrows But the weapon is a very short range item AND you can shoot around corners like the bee gun in half-life.
Projectile: the critical kill gives off buzzing sound - and a larger head :)

Weapon: Who's You Daddy?
Class: Spy
Effect: Spy jumps on another player and keeps humping until that player is dead or until another player kills the spy on your back. < Saw this hack being done in a game once and it was hillarious!

Weapon: The greaser
Class: Engineer
Slot: Primary
Effect: throws grease on the ground effective for 10 seconds - effects all players with a splippery effect anyone who hits it slides - 2x the effect on slopes.