We just got our second reply from Valve

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Fantastic answers. I really want to try making a map using his newly explained method. In fact, I already have a good idea, so I might as well go with that.

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
From now on everything should end with a explosion, even cp and ctf maps! :)

My thoughts exactly, lol. I started a cp map last night, and I'm making sure to add some of the Granary missile racks into the skybox. When a team wins, it will trigger an explosion and smoke around the missiles, which then get deleted. A few seconds later, a giant flash and explosion gets triggered inside the map.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Casali said:
d. Once a basic flow is layout is done, I decide where the spawn rooms will be. I usually just have a large brush with models/props_gameplay/door_slide_large_dynamic.mdl on the front where the exit will be.
...I just realized this, and thought I'd point it out...
Goldrush copied dustbowl's spawns. Badwater has the standard one spawn at each extreme end of the map, plus a single advanced spawn plopped in. Doesn't sound like he actually had that much deciding to do. :p

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Gold Rush ripped out many parts of Dustbowl. Then again, he made the original Dustbowl for TFC, so it's self-plagiarism.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Yep. Goldrush is basically a reimagining of Dustbowl but with the Payload gameplay. Just compare overviews of both levels and you'll see the similarities. :p

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
He just subscribes to the notion of "If it ain't broke..."

Some originality would be nice though.

Well, it's only natural to base a new map after one of the most popular A/D maps, Dustbowl, to ensure its popularity.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Its not identical so I don't think its too bad but if we get dished out another dustbowl remix I will be a bit more than dissapointed (even if it is an execelent map!)

And yeah - if it ain't broke don't fix it - far too many people don't understand this simple principle.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
ask how long it takes to make a map, because he said only 3 guys work on a map.

date of heavy update (ie badwater) subtract from that the date of the medic update (ie goldrush) and there you have your answer ;)

zpqrei

Theme Changer Extraordinaire
aa
Oct 19, 2008
date of heavy update (ie badwater) subtract from that the date of the medic update (ie goldrush) and there you have your answer ;)

Yes, but unlike us, he does it as his job, so he may be making that map for 5-10 hours Monday to Friday (and on the weekend, probably, too). That's the difference really between the time it takes for us to make maps compared to Valve making them. They're also proffesionals. ;)

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Let's say they work 8 hour shifts Mon-Fri (there may be some deviation. Maybe 6.5 of those hours are spent entirely on working. That means a mapper would have, if only working at wrk, about 32.5 hours to work on a map each week.

I know others like myself have spent far more than this in a week on a map... so I don't think that's the most prominent difference.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I'd say the biggest difference is valve's mappers are able to do a lightning fast compile any time they want and within a few minutes have a full server of willing testers (even if they are themselves sometimes) so they would be able to rocket through early gameplay and layout tests in a matter of days rather than a few weeks like we take.

Apr 19, 2009
We also all work alone most of the time. If they are having problems all they have to do is pop into the next cubical and ask that is going on. We have to ether figure it out ourselves, email Valve, or post on forums, all of witch take much longer.