Vtex is making me its bee-atch

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
My vconfig and vtex dont seem to be able to find anything they need.
first it was a steam.dll (found and pasted into same folder).
Then it was a gameinfo.txt inside a vconfig folder (found and copied them as well.)
now it cant find a "steam app user info"... anyone able to help with this one? I really want to start making material packs, but right now i cant get started it seems.

Oct 25, 2007
My vconfig and vtex dont seem to be able to find anything they need.
first it was a steam.dll (found and pasted into same folder).
Then it was a gameinfo.txt inside a vconfig folder (found and copied them as well.)
now it cant find a "steam app user info"... anyone able to help with this one? I really want to start making material packs, but right now i cant get started it seems.

Yeah, I had no end of problems with Vtex. I ended up getting a plug-in for my imaging software that allows me to save a picture directly as a VTF file.

Here are some alternatives:
VTEXGUI
Photo editing plug-in

Hope those help!

Dox

Oct 26, 2007
vtex gui doesnt have any options for tf2. if i compile it as a CS:S (or HL2, or other) material, will it matter? or can i just compile it as a CS:S material and steal it from the counterstrike folder and place it in the tf2 folder?

And I use gimp so the other option you provided cannot aid me.
Thanks for your help.

I looked up the steam user app info and found:
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Can't_find_steam_app_user_info

Followed the handy instructions and .... nothing, same problem.

Dont know why vtex had to get screwed up on my computer... this is a large issue for me as i cant really make models without skin and i wanna make alot of models for everyone :(

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2007
vtex gui doesnt have any options for tf2. if i compile it as a CS:S (or HL2, or other) material, will it matter? or can i just compile it as a CS:S material and steal it from the counterstrike folder and place it in the tf2 folder?

Yeah, you should be able to move the VTFs and VMTs fromthe CS:S folder to the TF2 materials folder. The only thing you might have to do is edit the VMT (with notepad) to reflect the new folder it's in.

Dox

Oct 26, 2007
Thanks, Ill try that!

Dox

Oct 26, 2007
more attempts at making vtex work... this time setting manual folders for the output and using the -nop4 workaround i was recommended to use

vtexisevil.jpg

Access denied? This is the point at which i start to believe that the program works just fine, it just hates my guts.

Edit:
vtexisevil2.jpg

Ok, it seems my main problem all along was i was using the wrong type of tga files... now to figure out what the right type are :(

Edit edit: wait... looking that over better it seems like the problem is the space between program and files...

Last edited:

Dox

Oct 26, 2007
dude use photoshop vtf plugin or vtfedit.

Okay,
I use gimp so a photoshop plugin is a non option, so I'll try out vtf edit. Looks a little complicated but I figured out hammer and XSI and a little bit of the command prompt, so I should be able to get this to work, thanks for the suggestion. :)

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
hehe vtf edit is simple man it even builds your vmts and its integrated in windows so if you click right on a jpg you can convert it ;)

S.E.A.L.#555

L1: Registered
Nov 8, 2007
"When running the Orange Box versions of the 'studiomdl' and 'vtex' you should include '-nop4' on the command line to bypass our Perforce integration with these tools. We will eliminate this need in a subsequent release."

Dox

Oct 26, 2007
"When running the Orange Box versions of the 'studiomdl' and 'vtex' you should include '-nop4' on the command line to bypass our Perforce integration with these tools. We will eliminate this need in a subsequent release."

I did that, you can even see in the command line things up above. The point is moot for me now though since im using VTFedit. Works great.

S.E.A.L.#555

L1: Registered
Nov 8, 2007
Fair enough. No idea what your vtex problem is though - I'm still happily making textures with it.