Vtex is making me its bee-atch

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Dox, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Dox

Dox L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    My vconfig and vtex dont seem to be able to find anything they need.
    first it was a steam.dll (found and pasted into same folder).
    Then it was a gameinfo.txt inside a vconfig folder (found and copied them as well.)
    now it cant find a "steam app user info"... anyone able to help with this one? I really want to start making material packs, but right now i cant get started it seems.

2. spaceweasels

aa spaceweasels

Positive Ratings:

Yeah, I had no end of problems with Vtex. I ended up getting a plug-in for my imaging software that allows me to save a picture directly as a VTF file.

Here are some alternatives:
    VTEXGUI
    Photo editing plug-in

Hope those help!

3. Dox

Positive Ratings:
    vtex gui doesnt have any options for tf2. if i compile it as a CS:S (or HL2, or other) material, will it matter? or can i just compile it as a CS:S material and steal it from the counterstrike folder and place it in the tf2 folder?

And I use gimp so the other option you provided cannot aid me.
    Thanks for your help.

I looked up the steam user app info and found:
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Can't_find_steam_app_user_info

Followed the handy instructions and .... nothing, same problem.

Dont know why vtex had to get screwed up on my computer... this is a large issue for me as i cant really make models without skin and i wanna make alot of models for everyone :(

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  4. spaceweasels

aa spaceweasels

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, you should be able to move the VTFs and VMTs fromthe CS:S folder to the TF2 materials folder. The only thing you might have to do is edit the VMT (with notepad) to reflect the new folder it's in.

5. Dox

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, Ill try that!

6. Dox

Positive Ratings:
    more attempts at making vtex work... this time setting manual folders for the output and using the -nop4 workaround i was recommended to use

[​IMG]

Access denied? This is the point at which i start to believe that the program works just fine, it just hates my guts.

Edit:
    [​IMG]
    Ok, it seems my main problem all along was i was using the wrong type of tga files... now to figure out what the right type are :(

Edit edit: wait... looking that over better it seems like the problem is the space between program and files...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  7. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    dude use photoshop vtf plugin or vtfedit.

8. Dox

Positive Ratings:
    Okay,
    I use gimp so a photoshop plugin is a non option, so I'll try out vtf edit. Looks a little complicated but I figured out hammer and XSI and a little bit of the command prompt, so I should be able to get this to work, thanks for the suggestion. :)

9. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    hehe vtf edit is simple man it even builds your vmts and its integrated in windows so if you click right on a jpg you can convert it ;)

10. S.E.A.L.#555

S.E.A.L.#555 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    "When running the Orange Box versions of the 'studiomdl' and 'vtex' you should include '-nop4' on the command line to bypass our Perforce integration with these tools. We will eliminate this need in a subsequent release."

11. Dox

Positive Ratings:
    I did that, you can even see in the command line things up above. The point is moot for me now though since im using VTFedit. Works great.

12. S.E.A.L.#555

S.E.A.L.#555 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Fair enough. No idea what your vtex problem is though - I'm still happily making textures with it.