LizardOfOz

Hale's Own Programmer
aa
Sep 7, 2022
LizardOfOz submitted a new resource:

VS Saxton Hale: VScript - From the original creator of VSH

VS Saxton Hale Mode: VScript Recreation
by LizardOfOz, the author of the original VSH Plugin.​

This is a VERY early version intended to prototype maps. Expect things to change over time.
The code is a mess, I know. It's not finished after all. Visit this page later for future updates.

Credits:

• LizardOfOz - VSH VScript recreation. The original VSH Plugin.
  • Maxxy, Velly, JPRAS - Saxton Hale's model imitating the Jungle Inferno...

Read more about this resource...

LizardOfOz

Hale's Own Programmer
aa
Sep 7, 2022
Heads up: I'm currently testing the idea of removing the new mobility abilities and returning to Rage.
While I'm 70% certain the choice will be in favor of the Rage, meaning Hale won't have the Charge to have extra vertical distance in addition to the Brave Jump, plans can still change.
I'm also toying with the idea of Custom Spells. Or rather, custom pick-ups which function pretty much like spells, but tailor-made for VSH.

LizardOfOz

Hale's Own Programmer
aa
Sep 7, 2022
Heads up: my current plays is to reinstate the mobility abilities and remove the Rage again.
MvM Upgrades will also be a part of the game. Please wait for the next release.

LizardOfOz

Hale's Own Programmer
aa
Sep 7, 2022
Heads up: while the map logic will change in the future, Hale's abilities will remain mostly the same.
Meanwhile, classes will receive some of the most recognizable VSH-Plugin changes. For example, Sniper's melee wall-climb.
No upcoming changes will affect the map layout. Feel free to start making your maps for the fast approaching May 1st deadline set by Valve!

One big note though: in the future, when someone will get to play as Hale, he'll be placed in a "decision room" if he wants to play as Hale or bail out.
You can leave it as a separate room in the void (the prefab will be provided when done), or incorporate it into your map digetically.

LizardOfOz

Hale's Own Programmer
aa
Sep 7, 2022

LizardOfOz

Hale's Own Programmer
aa
Sep 7, 2022
LizardOfOz updated VS Saxton Hale: VScript with a new update entry:

23w11a

IMPORTANT NOTES!
* Remember when I said in the manual "delete your old vssaxtonhale folder when updating"? This time I really mean it - we've updated the resources.
* We've also added a particle file next to the `_level_sounds.txt`. Make sure to rename it to match your map file name!

Changes:
* New third- and first- person animations and particles for Saxton. Credits to Velly and Maxxy.
* Merc changes and abilities:
** Melee wall climb - a custom ability for all classes and...

Read the rest of this update entry...

LizardOfOz

Hale's Own Programmer
aa
Sep 7, 2022

23w11b

* The map now gets properly reset between rounds (aka rounds aren't "fake" anymore).
* Removed "vsh_round_start_relay" and "vsh_setup_end_relay" trigger logic.
** Now any logic_relay with the name starting with "vsh_setup" will get triggered when the setup ends.
** Now any door with the name starting with "vsh_setup" will get opened when the setup ends.
* Hale's Brave Jump height has been reduced (512hu -> 320hu).

* Hale's Brave Jump height is now more...

LizardOfOz

Hale's Own Programmer
aa
Sep 7, 2022
Heads up: you need to delete vsh_round_start_relay trigger, otherwise your setup doors will likely not open.

LizardOfOz

Hale's Own Programmer
aa
Sep 7, 2022
Heads up: soon, VSH will present Hale with an option to bail out.

Because it can't be properly done with a menu, it will need to be implemented within the map geometry itself.

For the sake of consistency, I imagine it as a room Hale spawns in that has two doors: a smaller door for Hale to bail-out, and a bigger door that's either the spawn door or a door into the gameplay space. Both doors need to be visible for Hale as he spawns.

If you can't integrate this "selection room" into the main map, consider doing what CS:GO's Insertion did - a separate room where make your decision.

Last edited:

LizardOfOz

Hale's Own Programmer
aa
Sep 7, 2022
P.S. A prefab for such a room will be provided, but you need to think where such a room would physically go on your map.

If you have a suggestion of a better way to allow Hale to bail out, it'd be very welcome.
However, we can't expect a f2p on Casual to killbind. Also, interactive Custom UIs are not available. We can't tell Hale "press THIS to bail out"... Actually, we can do that, but it would feel bolted on top;

Last edited:

LizardOfOz

Hale's Own Programmer
aa
Sep 7, 2022
Actually, put pause on that. The more I think about it, the more I don't like this solution - forcing every map to have this room in one form or another is just not a good idea.

LizardOfOz

Hale's Own Programmer
aa
Sep 7, 2022
Maybe the easiest solution is the best, even if it's the ugliest: "Hold <Action Slot> to bail out" on the HUD. This is my current plan going forward.
VSH is just asking for cinematic pieces like jumping off a plane or from a skyscraper. I don't want to limit mappers with a boring Setup room that also has a "secondary bail out exit".

LizardOfOz

Hale's Own Programmer
aa
Sep 7, 2022
Heads up: Melee Wall Climbing makes distinction between `playerclip` and `clip`, which are functionally identical in normal TF2.
Players will be able to wall climb off of `clip`, while `playerclip` will be "transparent" for the wall climb hit detection.
So, use `playerclip` for invisible walls around the map and `clip` for things you want your players to walk climb off of, like shoot-through fences or big objects made of many minor details.

LizardOfOz

Hale's Own Programmer
aa
Sep 7, 2022

23w14c

23w14a..c:
* Half-Zatoichi gives health on-hit instead of on-kill
* Fixed related to being on the wrong team.
* Fixed the game considering dead players afk.
* Other minor fixes.

23w13c+d:
* Forcemoving Spectators to RED in hopes to catch the issue.
* Losing Rock, Paper, Scissors kills Hale at any health.
* Updated Mercs' UI.
* Another attempt to make tf2m feedback round work.
* Wall Climb traces a hull instead of a line, meaning you don't have to be as precise.
* Wall Climb: works off of...

LizardOfOz

Hale's Own Programmer
aa
Sep 7, 2022

23w16a

23w16a:
* Added relays `vsh_round_end*`, `vsh_mercs_win*` and `vsh_hale_win*`. Read more about this in documentation.
* Updated assets.
* Added a function `VSH_API_GetVersion()` for external use.

23w15a..b:
* Hale's HP was reduced (N went from 40 -> 30)
* Updated Assets
** Saxton PUNCH! is now left-handed for reasons.
** Slam first-person animations.
** New Saxton PUNCH! first-person animation.
* Improved and fixed Melee Wall Climbing.
* Fixed bugs related to joining mid-round.
* Fixed bugs...

LizardOfOz

Hale's Own Programmer
aa
Sep 7, 2022

23w16b

* Added more `IsValidRound` checks to prevent dying loops during tf2maps feedback round
* Fixed a bug when a round wouldn't end when it should
* Stun Breakout now also triggers when Hale received 2000 damage during a stun.
** The old condition (4 seconds of continuous stun) also remains
** //todo make it scale with players