[TUTORIAL] Catmull Demo Smoothing (Easier than Valve's!)

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by zpqrei, Apr 9, 2009.

1. zpqrei

aa zpqrei Theme Changer Extraordinaire

Positive Ratings:
    Yaaaagh! Is the demo smoother too confusing to ye? T'was for me too. So after a long search Fearlezz found this, magical tool. I'm going to teach you how to use it!

What you need:

-Source Game (eg. HL2, TF2, Portal, L4D)
    -Garrys Mod 10/11
    -Catmull plugin.

1. Put the map you want to record in the <name>/garrysmod/garrysmod/maps/ folder and any custom content in the <name>/garrysmod/garrysmod/materials/ and <name>/garrysmod/garrysmod/models/ folders.

2. Install the CatmullRomCam plugin for Garrys Mod as instructed to do so in the readme.

3. Open Garrys Mod and create a singleplayer match on the map you'd like to make a video of.

4. Open the tools menu (default 'Q') and click the CatmullRom tab. There are many tools including a hitchcock effect, but all we'll be wanting is the 'Track Layout Creator'. Click it. Also, remember the key on the right hand side, we'll need that later.
    [​IMG]

5. Get your tool out and left click to create a camera 'keyframe'. When you are happy with the paths you have created, click the button we remembered earlier (In my case, '/').
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Record with the recording tool of your choice. Also, I recomend you stay hidden as your character is visable when recording, so unless you want a Barney or Kliener running around your map, hide him/her!

7. Admire your work of art, you can add sound, effects and pretty much anything in the video editor of your choice! Enjoy!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7jFAGVUI3Q"]VIEW FINAL RESULTS[/ame]
    DOWNLOAD PLUGIN

If it was useful, please +Thanks :D

THINGS MADE WITH THIS TUTORIAL
    Feel free to link me to anything made with this tutorial and I'll put it up here.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFtE4CHbwTg"]pl_cashworks by eerieone[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzaByCva0I4"]cp_furnace by Youme and Nineaxis[/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iqaTWLmarw"]cp_smokyhill by zpqrei[/ame]

• Thanks Thanks x 36
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. NightHawK

NightHawK L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
  3. zpqrei

Positive Ratings:
    Glad I could be of help. Added a 'Made with this tutorial' section.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  4. ChronoTriggerFan

ChronoTriggerFan L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    wicked! Valve's demo smoother is a joke, and not even stable on l4d. I'll try it out when I'm not busy with everything :p

5. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    yeah, it´s a great and easy help
    only negative things i noticed:
    -no ammo/medi-packs
    -no CP signs
    -no environment sounds
    -several false textures and problem with areaportal

other than that... A++

6. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I'm happy without the cap holograms actually, not so cool without the ammo packs though but the false textures are eeeeasiably fixable with a little bit of gcscaping.

7. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    On the topic of doing one's own map... I'd probably just set it up in Hammer with a point_viewcontrol. Then I can super-fine tune everything.

8. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Decent tool, but I still prefer regular smoothing.

Also, I know the guy who made this, he's a massive douche and can't code for shit.

9. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Another vid made with it :p [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzaByCva0I4&fmt=22"]Furnace Creek flythough[/ame]

10. ChronoTriggerFan

ChronoTriggerFan L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I Personally think Valves demo tools are a joke. about half of the tools are either buggy as hell, or just not there, interface makes me want to punch babies, and the camera follows player movements such as jumping and crouching, so smoothing anything other than where you are standing still looks really bad.

11. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    i wish i didnt need to have GMod to do this, TF2 should really have this preinstalled =(

12. zpqrei

Positive Ratings:
    GMod is £14.99 (not sure about $) when bought with TF2. I got it in a similar deal with Counterstrike: Source. It's worth it for things like this.

13. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    @Youme: could you gimme a quick instruction how to fix the texture-issues?

14. zpqrei

Positive Ratings:
  15. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    it´s some normal default tf2 textures that are being exchanged, i shouldn´t need to packrat them

16. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I looked at which textures stuffed up in Gmod, made a mental note and went back to open hammer to find these textures. Once found I opened GCFScape (I assume you have it but just incase - http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=26) Opened up the tf2 materials GCF and found those textures, simply dragged them over to /garrysmod/materials and then garry's mod will look there for them before the usual GCFs. And thats it, they work.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. AntonJ3000

AntonJ3000 I am inactive and make horrible maps

Positive Ratings:
    You only need to copy concrete and glass folders from team fortress 2 materials.gcf, as those are the ones that hl2 will overlap.

Also, If you have a pl_ map and want the cart to move by itself (It will cap points and trigger the bomb)
    Type sv_cheats 1 and ent_fire func_tracktrain setspeed 20

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  18. Shadow Monkey

Shadow Monkey Super Monkey

Positive Ratings:
    WOW! Pretty usefulll.....thank you!

19. zpqrei

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, I'll add that to the first post.

20. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Bump, I know, but after dealing with setting up path_tracks and cameras to make a flythrough for Lighthouse, I'm considering buying Gmod just for this very tool. :p

Thanks.