treehouse

Gonfin

L2: Junior Member
Aug 29, 2009
mmk.
ive got a new tree bark texture with the tf pallet colors.
it looks much better

i would like to just make a displacement for the leafish roof, but it blocks the skybox light.
puting it in the 3d skybox looks funny, as it appears to scroll through the tree tops

does anyone know how to do an overhead displacement that lets skybox light through?
(or do i just need to set the ambient high?)

Shoomonger

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 8, 2009
It's funny, I was planning to do a map exactly like this. What did you do, hack my mind? :D

Gonfin

Aug 29, 2009
mmk, the gravilpit cap C building is gone,

now there is a custom building in the map
and i replaced most of the main textures for customs, it now has a much warmer feel to it, and it looks better.
ill post some screen shots tmro

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
You have NO IDEA how much better your maps looks now that it has those custom textures! =)

Gonfin

Aug 29, 2009
Things that i have added, that will be in the next release:

1)blu ammo cabnets, 1 in spawn, 2 on the lonely trees in blu's start area
2) ammo/medkits, 1 med amo, 1 med health, 10 small ammo, 10 small health
3) fixed b not adding time (it disappeared when i redid the capture area

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
Looks really good, but in the 3rd screenshots you have some props 'buried' by brushes. Theres the wire spool thing slightly in the tree to the left, and I assume you know the platform leading onto the cap is slightly in the wood base.

Are you planning on testing this soon? Would love to have play it with a large group, see hwo well it does play.

Gonfin

Aug 29, 2009
i have a plan to break the floor where the platform is in it, so it would make it seem like it fell and broke stuff

and i did not notice that wire spool, that i will have to fix in a later update

i am going to do some testing on my map later today with some friends.
if all goes well i hope get my clan's server with it available in the near future

Gonfin

Aug 29, 2009
A50

this is a full "normal" compile
added some cover to B
put lights over all path signs (some were a little hard to see)

ill be submitting for game day next week (or at least that's the plan)

Last edited:

Jindo

L3: Member
Aug 6, 2009
First of all, I thought that this is a fantastic idea, and looks quite intruiging, you've clearly put a lot of effort in to this and a map where I can airblast people to death at any time is always great (even if it was too diffcult)

However, there were flaws, mainly with navigating to the control points: regardless of the signs pointing left/right for A, B or C, there are no real landmarks besides the points themselves and so players have nothing to go by when playing the map next time, all they can do is follow the vague direction the sign is telling them, I know I had huge problems finding B for some reason.

Landmarks are very important if you want players who are playing a 2nd time to have learned the map at all from previously, players will associate landmarks and develop an image in memory which will help them navigate maps much easier.

If you look at these screenshots, taken from very different parts of the map, you'll see the problem I'm getting at:

cp_treehouse_a500006.jpg

cp_treehouse_a500007.jpg

cp_treehouse_a500008.jpg

cp_treehouse_a500009.jpg

cp_treehouse_a500010.jpg

cp_treehouse_a500011.jpg

Basically, currently it's a maze. Doing something different with a few of the trees would probably be enough, maybe cut one off at a lower point and put some kind of statue or other prop on top, more creative things shouldn't be too difficult to think of!

Having said this, the map didn't get boring so much, I certainly enjoyed it, but if you want the map to play at all better I recommend adding landmarks of some description.

Good work so far!

Gonfin

Aug 29, 2009
thanks for your input, ive been thinking of what i can do about that and will try a few things in the next release.

the biggest problem i have right now is im close to the limit for brushsides, and cant figure out how to use that propper add-on for hammer.

if anyone knows how, or knows of any tutorials that help would be greatly appreciated.

Caliostro

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 6, 2009
Played this yesterday.

I'll probably come across as cruel, so if you're not big on direct criticism skip over my post and pretend it's not here.

Great idea, bad execution.

Skipping over minor problems such as the "giant trees" looking nothing like trees (switch the texture for concrete and the result is the same), the fact is that this map ends up gathering the worse of two worlds: Huge sightlines and endless narrow corridors.

Map being huge makes travel times enourmous, which isn't helped by the fact the layout is extremely confusing and you end up lost more often than not. The layout is just not intuitive at all, it feels repetitive and samey. Even if you include "landmarks", that's going to help little in shaking the feeling that "we just went by that tree twenty seconds ago...".

This makes traveling your map from start to objective a headache. And then we stumble upon the second issue... Why are points A and B so absurdly close to Blu and distant from Red? Maybe it's because I was lost so often, but when I was playing Red I could only wonder how Blu got to one of the points THAT fast. Then I played Blu and I basically tripped on one of the points right off the starting gate... Look at Gravelpit. Blu IS closer to the 2 starting points, but not THAT much closer.

On the other hand, the fact that the map is composed of little more than bridge after bridge means that, ultimately, it's just corridors. For all intents and purposes, a bridge over a death pit is a corridor. Sure it's not as claustrophobic as a real corridor, but it's just as restrictive.

I like the feeling of the map, reminds me of the final scene of Star Wars, Return of the Jedi. This would be potentially awesome in a single player map, maybe Portal... Here though, just doesn't play well at all. It's basically one big maze.

Gonfin

Aug 29, 2009
thanks for the input Caliostro,

beleve it or not, the x,y cordinates for both spawns and all 3 cap points are very close to that of gravilpit.

to start the layout, i pulled a map of gravilpit up, grabbed the capture zones and respawn rooms, and placed mine directly over those.
the exit points for blu on gravilpit (where you would drop down into the open areas, are where i put my exit gates.
and the timers are the same.

this is what will probably happen next:
1) i will merge some platofrms to open up the areas where you can go.
(ive done this slightly in some places already)
2) ive got to figure out how to do a canopy,
the problem i have with this is i dont have any ideas how to do this,
my one idea (use a displacement) blocks all the skybox light and makes the map way to dark

if you have any tips about that (i suppose i could add a lot of lights) they would also be greatly appreciated.
and again thanks for your input

Gonfin

Aug 29, 2009
update to a54a

Changes:

widening of some platforms
replacing several ladders with stairs
added a ramp in cap A building

cut the b tree off and replaced it with the giant prop from nucleus

added configurable bridges in b (shooting buttons adds/removes bridges)
the bridges can be added in any configuration, or none at all
changes can only be made before the round starts

the configurable bridges are there for 2 main reasons
i don't know which way i want the bridges (tho one of the configurations is likely)
i wanted to see if i could create in-game configurable pathways (which as you can see is possible can)