[TIP] Don't get hung up on the details

Rock

L2: Junior Member
Jan 18, 2008
Playability is what I first notice in a new map, along with the general eye appeal. It's only after extended play do the details come to life. Until then, I'm too frickin' busy trying to keep from getting shot or back stabbed...

Gamer.png

Deadeye2007

L2: Junior Member
Jan 6, 2008
Convoy is a perfect example of a beautiful map that just doesn't play all that well. I agree that gameplay is #1, details second.

Spacemonkeynz

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 31, 2008
I was spectating though goldrush earlier, the details in that are amazing. I saw so many things I never noticed before.

When playing you don't notice the details beyond the playable area, even if it is a see though fence. The stuff on the other side just doesn't register when your playing. However i'm sure it would be noticeable if it wasn't there.

I have to say I disagree with the title of this thread, It is ok to get "hung up on the details" as long as you go about it the right way.
Sure, it's important to have a playable map, very important.

Gameplay and details shouldn't be ranked as one being better then the other. They both are important for different reasons.

Mapping can be viewed as an artwork, as well as providing a good play area for players.

Imo, goldrush is a work of art as well as an awesome map.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
the thing with Valves maps which a lot of people dont seem to get is that the gameplay area of the map is normally very bland, some props here and there, etc..

the sky box is where valve puts all the work into, the unaccessible areas is were they focus most detail into.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I'd agree with DJive on that last comment. The gameplay areas do tend to be fairly plain.

This is all about gameplay. Start throwing alot of props in there and players start getting caught on them. You get stuck you die or miss a kill, that sucks.
There is always no-clip but that can get annoying to because you can't hide in those tight little areas you think you can, as a spy that can be deadly.

I've also played quite a few maps for hours and never noticed details like rocket smoke, ect... The skybox with awesome cliffs and buttes... Usually those come into view when a rocket blasts you into space, or you are spectating waiting to spawn.

Those were the times were I thought "Damn, this is a really sweet looking map". During gameplay everything is about staying alive.

Suspension of disbelief. That's what games are about. You gotta feel like you are there, so much in fact that you don't notice these cool details.
SFX are always best when you don't know they are SFX.

mtv22

L3: Member
Feb 28, 2009
When I very first started map I always thought it was essential for things to line up perfectly, and I hated walls that weren't perfectly straight or ground levels that weren't all exactly the same. I've realized now that it doesn't really matter, people don't care and the difference between a 16 unit wall and a 20 unit wall isn't a big deal.

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
Don't get hung-up on detail, but don't use that as an excuse for sloppy, or lazy mapping.

Solution? Use 16 as your smallest grid size when first making a map. You don't need any more accuracy for detailing, you've just started! The *only* exception is when placing game-critical props (doors, cp models, payloads, etc), and then use Ctrl - B to make it snap to the current grid.

Also, always, *always* line up your walls, floors, levels, etc. in the local area. Not doing so from the second you start mapping can cause vicious /RAGE* later on when you're tweaking/styling your map and bump into dozens of void leaks, dozens of world/detail/brush lines making quick editing difficult, etc. Personal experience over 3 years with Hammer.

*see Left4Dead

Numerous

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 14, 2009
To be honest, the VALVe maps (in all games) are no doubt well designed, but their mapping methods are sometimes not all what they could be.
You'll often see brushes intersecting, splitting, texture misalignments and all sorts.

I'm quite maticulous in my mapping, but then as a result, I take for-bloody-ever to get anything made...

If only you were so "maticulous" in your spelling. ;)

Also, always, *always* line up your walls, floors, levels, etc. in the local area. Not doing so from the second you start mapping can cause vicious /RAGE* later on when you're tweaking/styling your map and bump into dozens of void leaks, dozens of world/detail/brush lines making quick editing difficult, etc. Personal experience over 3 years with Hammer.
*see Left4Dead
When I read that, the first thing that I thought was that you were referring to the way a tank acts when he spots the survivors.

Last edited:

Cornish Gamehen

L1: Registered
Dec 23, 2009
So the point is, don't go overboard on details, but don't ignore them, you've got to find the right balance.

Dec 25, 2007