Thunderclap

What theme should the map be made into?

• Swamp it up!

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Thunderstorms, rain, and oil rigs sounds nice..

Votes: 64 83.1%

• Total voters

AxiomaticFrood

L1: Registered
Aug 18, 2010
Also, and I jsut realized this now, I never noticed those curvy areas (which are very neat) until I was looking through those screen shots...

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
So... I am not really sure why you are using a custom prefix instead of CP. It's basically just slightly different CP.

Dain

L3: Member
Oct 21, 2009
I'm going to be honest: this wasn't very fun on gameday. While on 5-CP push maps, juggling attack and defence is standard, however the addition of koth pushed this into overdrive. It was really hectic wondering which part of the map to go to, and the distance between the control points excacerbated this because you would have to change direction when a point was taken. The elevators were gimmicky and there were too many of them. Reduce the number of elevators and don't rely on them for players to get around. Lower the distance between the cap points too. Make the routes to each control point more obvious either with signage or structure.

This has the potential to be an excellent map.

Mar 23, 2010
i agree with the above post. it was too big, too many elevators, and the geometry was really weird which made it the oddest map ever!

i still really don't get the game mode. >_>

I'm not gonna lie, I would start over from scratch.

Zarokima

L69: Deviant Member
Aug 7, 2010
I like the idea, but it fell pretty flat on gameday 8/20. The biggest problem is that the middle point is completely unecessary to win the match. The KOTH-style timer is a neat idea, but standard 5-CP progression should still apply, in that you need the middle to cap the next two.

The map is also way too big, and the layout is somewhat confusing. Even near the end of the test, I had very little idea where I was going. The courtyard area near the midpoint especially could be scaled down. Some hallways could also be shortened, and even deleted.

Most battles took place around the between the second points, mainly in the courtyard or on the hill.

Most of the games were won through capping the last point, which I could never get to without just wandering around hoping to find it. The middle point was almost completely ignored after the initial cap.

Aug 10, 2009
Hrm.. Well. Let me start of by saying thank you guys for the feedback!

I've heard a lot of mixed comments, but these are the basic comments I got:
-Map is too big
-Some areas are confusing (namely around second)
-Lots of open space
-Middle point feels unnecessary as a hill
-Too many lifts

What I'm considering from this is taking out the last control points to make this again a three CP push map, either finding a way to make the hill useful to players or just making it a standard CP.

By considering I mean doing. This also means a slight rehaul of the second point and courtyard outside of the hill. I plan on keeping the little courtyard behind second just to dilute the area because I'm going to be essentially remodeling the rest of that area to be more tight gameplay wise (keep the same shape, mess around with the paths).

For the courtyard outside of mid, I'm just wondering what to do with it. In my opinion its weak points are the myriad of lifts, the curvy paths above, and the open space below. I am in strong favor of the large division that separates both sides because it solves a lot of problems for me :). BUT: The reason why this brings conflict into the matter is that the courtyard is what I might call a 'vent' area. It's designed to allow some of the battle from mid to seep out into the courtyard so things don't get too hectic.

SO, this means that I'm going to need a new way to integrate it into the mid building to
a) be more useful, and
b) not use a lot of open space.

Thanks again for the feedback, I'm going to try and use some of the middle building architecture elsewhere because it seems so popular :) (not copy/paste but the general angular feel)

Zarokima

Aug 7, 2010
its weak points are the myriad of lifts, the curvy paths above

The lifts were interesting, but did feel a bit gimmicky. Ramps/stairs would work better.

I like the curvy path. A second level is nice to provide some height difference, and the curvy path is much more interesting in every way than a straight one would be.

Dain

L3: Member
Oct 21, 2009
Thanks again for the feedback, I'm going to try and use some of the middle building architecture elsewhere because it seems so popular :) (not copy/paste but the general angular feel)

do it

I loved the architecture of mid

Fredrik

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 15, 2009
Two things you should change is:
Get rid off the elevators, cuz I don't like those types of elevators and its realy easy to get stuck in them.
And the spawn next to the mid point, you can get in there all the time. And the respawnvis is also visible all the time.
Fix that!

Aug 10, 2009
Yeah, the vis was just the issue of having both teams spawn in one room, which is a bad idea. Also, the problem with the elevators in mid is that there isn't space there for a staircase that doesn't look absolutely retarded, unless I make mid longer or wider, both of which it already is.

Zarokima

Aug 7, 2010
Also, the problem with the elevators in mid is that there isn't space there for a staircase that doesn't look absolutely retarded, unless I make mid longer or wider, both of which it already is.

Maybe shorten the upper paths a little bit and make room that way?

Aug 10, 2009
Oh my! Thunderclap has been updated! Here are some screens:

New spawn:
push_thunderclap_a6b0000.jpg

Blue side:
push_thunderclap_a6b0001.jpg

Final cap red side:
push_thunderclap_a6b0002.jpg

Mid is still here :):
push_thunderclap_a6b0003.jpg

Sorry for the short update, it's actually rather big.
Here's the chagelog:
+Remade BLU and RED sides of the map
+Changed map to 3 CP's total (including hill)
+Reduced hill timers to 3:00 minutes each

My comments from the test that just happened for my own reference:
+Cap times on final caps need to be longer by 1-2 seconds
+Fix game_win entities
+Add time to hill timers
+Move some health on top levels
+Consider removing upper mid levels to make it harder to hold

Mar 23, 2010
latest version was amazing :D

Aug 10, 2009
Don't dig a grave yet, I plan on getting push_thunderclap_b1 out this week hopefully :)

Here are some screenshots of the detailing I've been doing (only on blue side and mid so far)

Mid is now going to be hollowed out from a large rock:
push_thunderclap_b10000.jpg
I'm trying to cook up a theme to combine deserts and snow, because it does snow in the desert :p

Blue's upper spawn exit:
push_thunderclap_b10001.jpg

It's a bit empty now, but it's mostly a transition area so I don't mind.

A look from a tiny bit outside of the map into blue side:
push_thunderclap_b10002.jpg
Don't mind the odd cliff texture on the far side, I think I'm going to replace or rescale that because the tops of the texture feel awkward for me at the moment.

The only real change I made that wasn't detail-oriented was that I moved the capture point up so that it sits neatly between the upper spawn exit and the blue lift building:
push_thunderclap_b10003.jpg

Time from testing will tell if I need to restructure some aspects of the spawn to accompany this change.

Anyways, that's all for now. Thanks for checking out the thread, and I'll hope to have this recompiled and on the server soon :O!