Thunderclap

What theme should the map be made into?

• Swamp it up!

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Thunderstorms, rain, and oil rigs sounds nice..

Votes: 64 83.1%

• Total voters

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
oh and rename it cp_thunderclap because push isn't a prefix and it looks stupid.

Aug 10, 2009
oh and rename it cp_thunderclap because push isn't a prefix and it looks stupid.

Fair enough, even though I worry it won't be descriptive of the gametype enough. Not in the sense that push described it any better, but I feel that cp might be slightly deceiving. Probably going to have to make understandable goal strings instead.

Aug 10, 2009
Brief update on map progress.
The new map version (a2) is coming along rather nicely, I've changed around the courtyard quite a bit, so I hope that turns out well. I'm also looking into a more efficient and understandable elevator system that it more dynamic then the a1 version, which is to say it's not time delay based. I also have yet to add in the other two CPs, I may do some revisions of the space in between courtyard and base. Fixes to the forward spawns will also be included, and the hill timer will be doubled or brought up to seven minutes, from its previous five. Expect an update hopefully by Monday, if earlier.
If anyone has anything they'd like to see in the a2 version, post now or forever hold your peace.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2009
My friendly femmes and ebolites I present you an update!

After many attempts at getting the cp prefix to work, the map remains push_thunderclap_a2!

The changelog is as follows
+Reworked the 'bottom' half of the courtyard(The half opposite mid), added another building across from the mid building instead of the lower path
+Opened up entrances to mid so it's easier to retake
+Added two CPs, one for each team
+Shortened Hill capture time to 10 seconds, second and fourth CP are both 12 seconds, final CPs are 6 seconds each.
+Fixed forward spawns being active when they are not supposed to be
+Fixed forward spawn func_doors rendering
+Modified the Elevator system to be more accommodating to players(especially those jumping down the elevator shaft)
+Added two health packs on top of the buildings that lead into the courtyard
+Made some small modifications to the upper areas of the mid building

Finally, what would an update be without pictures?

The new capture point for BLU (RED has one too, don't fret)
push_thunderclap_a20000.jpg

The new courtyard building. The walkway spanning the screenshot actually leads into the top of mid, providing an additional route inside.
push_thunderclap_a20001.jpg

I have to say though, the map feels a little bit more empty without the dark tunnel way on the other side, I think it made a nice contrast between the sides.

**Facepalm. I forgot to set mat_specular back to 1, so it seems as though there will only be matted glass this time around. At least there won't be pink cubes :)

EDIT: fffffffffffffffffffffffff this is the 13,000 thread. No wonder why uploading has been so difficult.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2009

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Lose the death pits.

Re-read that line a billion times.

If you still have death pits at the end of that, read it some more.

You should die by the hands of skilled opponents not camping pyros waiting to airblast people off the side. It's a cheap trick and at risk of sounding as blunt as Flame: Fucking bullshit.

Aug 10, 2009
Lose the death pits.

Re-read that line a billion times.

If you still have death pits at the end of that, read it some more.

You should die by the hands of skilled opponents not camping pyros waiting to airblast people off the side. It's a cheap trick and at risk of sounding as blunt as Flame: Fucking bullshit.

Heh, you got it boss :p

Overall the map felt clunky and difficult to navigate with 2nd being the hardest. I would say keep the mode but really work on the overall layout. Also get rid of the elevator please! :S

Thanks for the feedback, I'm not sure what you mean by clunky. Are you saying the map is boxy (which it is), or are you saying the map is on a large enough scale so that it's cumbersome to maneuver around?

All that aside, is it already that time again?
Yes it is folks.

My fellow females and disease-giving parasites, I present to you push_thunderclap_a3!
This new version features many minor changes to the map, in hopes that more playtests will give me a stronger hint at what direction to take this map in. The concerns I started to address with this alpha are mainly the cap times, and the chokepoints. I also took a peek at the spawn setup, but unfortunately I'm not too knowledgeable in the art of spawn times, so they seemed fine to me.

Some screens!

A shot of the new fences added to slow the rate of fall-related deaths.
push_thunderclap_a30004.jpg

A wider entrance, a minor 'test' change if you will, and the new capture point placement.
push_thunderclap_a30002.jpg

A ramp designed to counteract some of the stalemate chokiness of the second/fourth point.
push_thunderclap_a30001.jpg

That's all I have for you now, but I expect to be trying out a lot of smaller-scale changes in the coming alphas to find out where I should take this map.

Full changelog:
+Removed clusters of small health packs and replaced them with larger ones
+Reduced capture times on most points by about 2 seconds
+Added additional ramp route up to the second and fourth point
+Moved second and fourth CP to a more central location
+Expanded doorways leading into the second and fourth CP to test its effect on chokepoints.

Download link here (http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3675&act=down)

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
Cap building is too easy to control. The team that holds it as a constant height advantage whether it be in the building or on the bridge.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Remove the KOTH timers, if you're worried about stalemates just lower the amount of time received with a cap, so it goes to sudden death faster.

Aug 10, 2009
Thanks for feedback, quick response to your feedback:

This is just a rough sketch of what setting I think your map should be in (BTW it's night)

Myes... Myes.. (that's where the plans are atm)

Cap building is too easy to control. The team that holds it as a constant height advantage whether it be in the building or on the bridge.

Agreed. I worry that this may be a tricky fix. I might try to limit the caps connectivity with the upper levels, and see how that plays out. I might also just try lowering the time in combination as well.

Remove the KOTH timers, if you're worried about stalemates just lower the amount of time received with a cap, so it goes to sudden death faster.

The only solution of that order that I would choose to pursue would be having a countdown timer with a maximum of 19:59 minutes, but that would also change the win conditions of the map, and would essentially make it just another 5CP :p

Aug 10, 2009
Hooray update!

I blame this delay on the recent contests, myself, and school finals. Anyways, without further ado, I present to you, females and amoebites, push_thunderclap_a4! :)

Here are some screens of the new update:

A new addition to the lower corners of mid, this alternate route is intended to make it more easy for the defending team to get through to the middle area of the courtyard, without jeopardizing themselves to snipers, or anyone hanging around the mid building.
push_thunderclap_a40000.jpg

Truth be told, I was short on ideas on how to block this deathpit without adding something that wouldn't make sense to the aesthetic, so I adopted this for now. If it has little to no impact I will replace it later with something more appropriate.
push_thunderclap_a40001.jpg

Yay! Caps got hazard tape!
push_thunderclap_a40002.jpg

Full changelog
+Reduced health in the mid building and upper areas of the courtyard
+Added alternate routes for getting into the center of the courtyard
+Shifted some health and ammo pack pairs to favor the attackers
+Reduced capture times on all points
+Added railings to hopefully prevent most falls
+Swapped out elevators for air vents

Provided this alpha plays well, I may consider changing the skybox to what I had originally planned: night >:]

The Real Tom

L1: Registered
Jun 9, 2010
Is it supposed to be played like koth or cp? This confused the hell out of me, it just lead to everyone playing it as a dm map.
Routes felt convoluted to me and rarely took me where i wanted to go.

Really liked the mid though and it was great fun to run around as scout. Final point was too easy to spam for the defending team from their spawn. There ineeds to be something blocking a direct line of sight from spawn doors to the control point.

Aug 10, 2009
Ok, so a brief update on thunderclap:

I'm trying to come up with some good major layout changes to the map, so that it will be less deathmatch. The current plan is to cut a lot out of the far side of mid, so that the players are channeled in and out, straight to the second points.

I've noticed that most of the fighting in the map takes place between mid and the second/fourth cap. I want to rearrange that area so it's more streamlined and much less convoluted, in hopes that players will head for, and successfully cap the point.

Finally, I think it's time that the final caps, which have rarely seen action, are changed to further incent players to go for it. The current plan for this is to open up the wall separating the caps, and have the cap be elevated on a raised platform, with catwalks.

Also, side note: 90% of the deathpits are gone :D!

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
Sounds even more like you should just remove the koth timers.

Aug 10, 2009
Yeah I'm considering that now. The replacement would be a timer that couldn't be added to, so it would just count down from something like 15:00. Thoughts? EDIT: I've thought on it, and I think I'm going to leave the mid open to being captured at any time, at the cost of a longer capture time (now it's 14, up from 7).

Note: This megabump is in preparation for an update.

EDIT: This update will be coming, in full, in a month. For now, I may only tease you with screenshots :p.

Ok, here's a tiny teaser of of what's to come in early August (I would release a5, but I won't be back until then)

push_thunderclap_a50000.jpg
:O

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2009
Ok, finally an update I can release :).

Laddie-ets and germs I give you push_thunderclap_a5

This was a pretty big update for the map, and combined with the fact that I've spent a total of three weeks home this summer, I didn't expect this update to be coming out any time soon. The entire team-sided sections of the map have been effectively remodeled as well as the courtyard outside of the mid building, which as it happens is the only remaining piece of the older versions of thunderclap.

I could go on for a while about this, but what's interesting without pics! :woot:

The first picture featured is of the new last capture point. The upper glass area and sliding metal door both lead back to BLU spawn.
push_thunderclap_a50005.jpg

This is the new second/fourth point. It's surrounded by (in my opinion) more interesting geometry then its predecessors.
push_thunderclap_a50006.jpg

Here is the new slightly odd-looking courtyard, the taller curvy section is a placeholder for what I hope to be two pipes running parallel to each other. I would have made them with brushwork, but in many senses the task is near impossible.
push_thunderclap_a50007.jpg

An aerial view of the entire map, both sides included.
push_thunderclap_a50009.jpg

A slightly texture-refurbished mid building that stands as the only remaining relic of the past.
push_thunderclap_a50010.jpg

Finally, a glance down a hallway that spans across a larger path to second/fourth point.
push_thunderclap_a50011.jpg

I hope to get this into testing soon, I'm pretty excited to test it out. Thanks again to the people who have provided feedback so far, and I hope to see it on gameday!

AxiomaticFrood

L1: Registered
Aug 18, 2010
My thoughts from playing a5:
1: it takes a bit longer than it probably should to get out of the primary spawns...At least initially. Just long winding routes...I feel as if these could be shrunk.
2:There's a mysterious floating crate that you will hopefully have noticed already.
3:I almost consistently approached the second cp from the door by the angled part of the balcony/walkway outside. I also was shot through this door a couple of times from the control point. Since this is one of the two primary paths to the cp, that would mean a good sniper could protect through this door, leaving the other path the only way to push.
4:My favorite battles were the ones at the center point, but most of my time was spent around the second points (which is what will usually happen, I'm guessing).
5:The map is mostly too open, I'm not sure what you've changed from a5 to a5b but hopefully some of this has been adjusted.

I'm interested in seeing how this map plays in the future...and interested to see how you get magical floating things to fit into the theme of TF2...