The Worst Possible Thing Ever

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Pooluke41, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Pooluke41

Pooluke41 L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    A map that Is too small or Too big in height, It happened to me but has it happened to you?

2. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Player/sentries models are good for testing scale in hammer. Also use heavy when walking around your map. They give you a good idea of walk times.

3. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    This is funny, because my first two maps were extremely underscaled. I discovered that my main problem is that I was relying on using grid paper to plan it out. I figured out that just drawing out the relative plan and then building it around that with proper dimensions and sizes being very loose with the plan turned out best. I honestly think it's a very individual process, though. This might've worked for me, but might not work for others.

4. Cynick

Cynick L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    My maps are always too small on the X/Y (flat) plane, but the cliffs and such are overscaled (too high)

5. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    haha, exact same problem for me.
    I am getting better tho :thumbup:

6. OlafK

OlafK L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    My maps are too big and too flat :O

7. Engineer

aa Engineer

Positive Ratings:
    My maps are usually too small and tight. :bored:

8. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    I had to copmletely rebuild the first version of my map, because it was almost two times as big as it should D:

9. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Same here. I laid out the base of it once, realized it was too big, made it again and got it far along before testing. Then I realized it was still waaay too big and re-made the map entirely.

Good practice, though.

10. Steff0o

Steff0o L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I used to draw my map on paper, but following the exact dimensions made my maps really tiny, since then i always draw on paper and follow the rough lines in hammer. :p