The "Ridiculous Dynamic Element" Thread

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
i had the idea of having the payload be the warhead of a rocket. When it gets to the end a rocket takes off. It can probably be done but i'm not a good enough mapper to do that yet.

If you were to get far enough along, you might be able to convince Rexy to make custom props for that for you. I remember he was taking requests for custom payload models ages ago and like only one person took him up on the offer.

raging_lettuce

L1: Registered
Feb 6, 2012
If you were to get far enough along, you might be able to convince Rexy to make custom props for that for you. I remember he was taking requests for custom payload models ages ago and like only one person took him up on the offer.

i might do that eventually. I'm working on a couple ideas right now. I got back into mapping recently and am relearning some stuff right now.

spekkio

L1: Registered
Jan 27, 2012
One idea i had was to make the cart a massive tower-like piece of terrain in it's own right. Like, Granary C on wheels.

I really like this idea, and if I get around to making a second map submission in time, I may try to do this as a Medieval map with a siege tower. The only thing keeping me from doing this as my primary map is, frankly, the lack of Valve balancing the 9 classes in Medieval game modes. Classes like Engineer, Scout, and others just don't make sense in those game modes.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Submissions for this contest can't be Medieval. Just a heads-up.

Jan 8, 2011
I really like this idea, and if I get around to making a second map submission in time, I may try to do this as a Medieval map with a siege tower. The only thing keeping me from doing this as my primary map is, frankly, the lack of Valve balancing the 9 classes in Medieval game modes. Classes like Engineer, Scout, and others just don't make sense in those game modes.

And also Source engine + moving objects.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
A map where certain objects will only exist when within a set distance of the cart, so that significant portions of the map only exist while the cart is in specific areas. (think Bastion, or the super Mario galaxy junk levels.)

Or the desert in the latest Zelda game. That was some sweet trickery for a fixed function pipeline rendering hardware.

How about a payload cart that acts as a snow plow, creating a new path through silly high snow?

Maybe a setup with two carts, but only one bomb? The bomb would have to be transfered from one cart to the other using a crane for some contrived reason.