The "Ridiculous Dynamic Element" Thread

May 2, 2009
Entire team rises from the depth of the map and sees objectives in the setup. when timer hits zero the elevator has come to walking level.

English Mobster

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 10, 2011
Something with this.

plugcart.jpg
That is exactly what I have been looking for. I was going to model it myself (or a similar concept). Where the hell did you find that?

Vaconcovat

L3: Member
Jan 15, 2012
Well, mine started out as a ridiculous dynamic element idea just to see if it worked- unfortunately it's actually pretty awesome and performs well. I'm scared i've given myself quite a large project here. I WILL NOT REVEAL MY SECRETS

SuperNerd

L2: Junior Member
May 13, 2009
Wait, so you guys are saying that a map assembling the bomb is a "Ridiculous Dynamic Element" ?

I'm making my second-ever map (probably as bad and flawed as the last) and has this idea.
Look like I am late.

But ideas behind this dynamic map thingamabob:
  • Elements like multiple elevators in a row.
  • Environments like a GIANT FURANCE which sets you alight (unless you're pyro)
  • Balances and Challenges like BLU not a having a dispenser on the point (until a point)
  • Sentryguns / Dispensers / Teleporters pre-set in the map (maybe not...)
  • Catwalks and Ventilation shafts for access / advantage.

Besides a few possible bugs, what could possibly go wrong?

Also, what's up with parenting path_track and keyframe_rope? TF2 hates it so much.

EDIT: Just realized how long it's been since I last was here. Re. My Avatar.

Last edited:

SuperNerd

May 13, 2009
there are no "ridiculous" ideas, there are only ideas prone to bad execution :p

From what I heard of the BATT contest, you getting in the top five must know what you're talking about when it comes to making a decent map.

So I've decided that I am going to go for it. I am a terrible detailer so I know I stand no chance. I'm just in it for teh lulz.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
From what I heard of the BATT contest, you getting in the top five must know what you're talking about when it comes to making a decent map.

So I've decided that I am going to go for it. I am a terrible detailer so I know I stand no chance. I'm just in it for teh lulz.

There was only 5 competitors.

SuperNerd

May 13, 2009
There was only 5 competitors.

Wait... so the top five were the only five?

Wow. That is weird. But regardless. He still has done more than I.

SuperNerd

May 13, 2009
Back on topic of Dynamic Elements:

You can parent func_tracktrain to func_tracktrain's.

This yields hilarious results that I am currently testing.
Magic happens and the path_track the train is following is essentially parented to the train and keeps moving.
BUT for some strange reason the position on the path_track changes.

Example:
When carts func_tracktrain to parented to (in this case) the elevators func_tracktrain, it glitches and throws the player into the air (dunno why). Then some weird stuff happens with the path_track.
The edge where the cart rolls on becomes the center.
Also, if you try to teleport off it, it breaks even more!

Will include a .vmf if anyone's interested in SCIENCE!

EDIT:
Ok, I have a note from my experiments in case you are trying to make a giant rotating elevator that you have to push the cart across as it moves up... Don't try and make giant rotating elevator thing. If you're trying with parenting.
I am staying to simple up/down elevators or elevators that only move when the cart is stationary in the middle.

Last edited:

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
when did sergis become vete- oh right, spamming maps and ideas, during batt. :p

Sentryguns / Dispensers / Teleporters pre-set in the map (maybe not...)
This and playermodels in maps, are generally some of the idea most prone to bad execution.

although having a sentry gun around spawn exit has always tempted me.

hmmmm....
In heavy's voice:
VE MUST PUSH LEETLE SENTRY GUN!!!

bomb cart gets a sentry placed on it at the first cap point. upgraded to lvl 2 at cp 2. lvl 3 at cp 3.

not a stupid idea, depends 1000% on the execution. :3

SuperNerd

May 13, 2009
This and playermodels in maps, are generally some of the idea most prone to bad execution.

I've seen this mentioned, which is why I said "maybe not".

not a stupid idea, depends 1000% on the execution. :3
I know I don't have 1000% in me. I probably don't even have 100%.

raging_lettuce

L1: Registered
Feb 6, 2012
i had the idea of having the payload be the warhead of a rocket. When it gets to the end a rocket takes off. It can probably be done but i'm not a good enough mapper to do that yet.

Last edited:

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
A map where if the red team wins the cart still explodes regardless of where it is.

Spacek531

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 28, 2012
The payload jumps the rails and runs through the dirt where it goes half as fast.
-or-
The payload track passes right next to, on top of, or crosses a live railroad track, and when the payload itself gets close enough, trains ala traingrid.
-better yet-
The cart is on the ceiling.
-alternatively-
When 5 or more people are pushing the cart, it creates a bullet blocker brush surrounding it.
-also-
The cart has another cart following it with a teleporter hardcoded to it.
-not to mention-
If the red team inflicts too much explosion damage to the cart, they lose.
-don't forget-
The cart starts next to the red base, and the blue team needs to steal it.

Last edited: