The "Ridiculous Dynamic Element" Thread

Rasputin

L3: Member
Sep 20, 2008
Don't get me wrong here, I'm just "borrowing" Ravidge's original schtick with plr_panic. At least it's part of the actual map progression so it is truly different. (Please don't hate me)

What happens is that at certain points in the track the cart will be lifted up vertically and dropped down a steep ramp, killing anyone in the path for a certain distance and possibly, if I can eventually get it to work, setting certain areas in the immediate vicinity on fire.

Trouble is getting it to work now. Go, go amateur mapping prowess.

YM_Industries

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
If I have enough time I might do this, but my idea is to have a Y shaped track. The cart starts at the bottom, if it ends up in the top right blu wins, top left red wins. At the beginning it is sort of co-op to push the cart, but when it gets to the fork then whoever is currently pushing it gets it down their fork. The other team then has to try to push it backwards, to the fork, and back the other way.

I'm not very good at TF2 mapping though, so feel free to use this idea, just give credit and let me know!

Dragonic

L1: Registered
Dec 30, 2011
I'm think of making a turntable like in Barnblitz but GIANT and its rotation is controlled by a CP. Under RED control of the CP the turn table rotates away from the track and for BLU, it rotates the other way toward the track connecting both ends. To avoid further confusion, the turn table only rotates to 90 degrees so that the track on the turn table is perpendicular to the main track.

While the giant turn table is slowly spinning, the cart will be pushed by the BLU team. RED cannot push the cart.

There are stairs leading up to a control point overlooking the turn table through a glass window.

I don't yet have the skill to do this sort of thing. And I'm not even sure if it complies with the contest rules.

turntable.JPG

Last edited:

YM_Industries

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
I'm think of making a turntable like in Barnblitz but GIANT and its rotation is controlled by a CP. Under RED control of the CP the turn table rotates away from the track and for BLU, it rotates the other way toward the track connecting both ends. To avoid further confusion, the turn table only rotates to 90 degrees so that the track on the turn table is perpendicular to the main track.

While the giant turn table is slowly spinning, the cart will be pushed by the BLU team. RED cannot push the cart.

There are stairs leading up to a control point overlooking the turn table through a glass window.

I don't yet have the skill to do this sort of thing. And I'm not even sure if it complies with the contest rules.

turntable.JPG

That looks really good. From what I can tell that is within the contest rules, but it might need the "Individual Approval" that is mentioned in the contest FAQ.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
also there should be an event where the payload has to break down a wall via, pushing at full speed twice or 1x speed 3 times or something. the cart will move backwards upon hitting the wall.

That gave me another idea. Two payload carts — the first explodes to breach the wall to RED's base; the second (which is waiting in a shed on a switchtrack nearby) takes its place for the remainder of the track.

soylent robot

L420: High Member
May 26, 2009
here's my wacky idea i wont use

see okay you push de kart until its loaded onto a little platform thats hanging from a crane. then, you all pile into the crane's nearby control room. this room acts as sort of a control point, and causes the crane to turn, carrying de kart around to where the track continues. enemy players in the control room stop you activating the crane in the same way they stop you capturing points

i should probably draw a picture

Dragonic

Dec 30, 2011
here's my wacky idea i wont use

see okay you push de kart until its loaded onto a little platform thats hanging from a crane. then, you all pile into the crane's nearby control room. this room acts as sort of a control point, and causes the crane to turn, carrying de kart around to where the track continues. enemy players in the control room stop you activating the crane in the same way they stop you capturing points

i should probably draw a picture
Have you played pl_cranetop?

Ptimz

L2: Junior Member
May 8, 2011
PLR where the carts are out of bounds and advance automatically as long as your team holds the capture point in the center of the map.

Jan 8, 2011
PLR where the carts are out of bounds and advance automatically as long as your team holds the capture point in the center of the map.

So... KOTH with carts representing the timers?

Dragonic

Dec 30, 2011
This gave me an idea:
And then suddenly, the payload becomes a boat.
Why not have the payload be a boat all along?
I'm picturing the payload being a gondola on the Grand Canal in Venice. The "cart" will be pushed along the water, of course. Various other boats and gondolas could act as cover while BLU is pushing. There could be bridges crossing the canal for high ground. And there would have to be underwater routes beneath the city for flanking. Imagine the boat chase scene in The Italian Job. O, the possibilities!

Where would I find a model gondola...?

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
This gave me an idea:

I'm picturing the payload being a gondola on the Grand Canal in Venice. The "cart" will be pushed along the water, of course. Various other boats and gondolas could act as cover while BLU is pushing. There could be bridges crossing the canal for high ground. And there would have to be underwater routes beneath the city for flanking. Imagine the boat chase scene in The Italian Job. O, the possibilities!

As I know from experience...

...water maps are BAD

Jan 8, 2011
This gave me an idea:

plr_whalerace.

May 2, 2009
Somekind of door that sucks the cart inside and spits it out on the otherside and players have to go around it. Kind of pushforward-zone but with doors.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The track is a giant french stick and every few seconds "of pushing" the BLU team "consume" 64 units of it. Bits with ham give BLU 10 seconds of crits.