1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

The mystery of cp_cloak

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by henke37, Mar 22, 2014.

1. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Apparently Valve have added a map called cp_cloak to the game. It's uhm, not very good. It's literally a box with respawn room boxes in opposite corners and a single raised platform in the middle.

Anyone have any idea how this happened? Or for the matter, when?

2. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    I'm gonna bet it's just as its name is, like this guy suggests, that it's meant to test the cloak mechanics of the Spy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Berry

aa Berry spooky scary skeletons

Positive Ratings:
    I like to think it's valve's own mystery creepypasta map. It's so eerie that stuff's just out of place, and the fact that there's giant classes outside staring at you.

4. Q-Brick

Q-Brick L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I have just spend some time on it. There are a few notable things on the characters there:
    -Most of them don't have pupils, or they have just slight part of left one visible (scout and medic).
    -Only heavy and spy have clearly visible pupils. Spy is looking at medic, while heavy is staring slightly up, to the control point. Pyro has it's mask on as always.
    -There's a commercial on the flip side of the control point. It has "Cracky pop" written on it, while showing an almost toothless boy with cataract (making the pupils almost invisible) drinking the presumed pop.
    -instead of being koth styled, the games goal is which ever team captures the point first.
    -No ambient sound is played, except for control point capture sounds.
    -This map is so rarely found on the server search that tc_hydro is more commonly played then this!
    Overall this is one crazy map

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  5. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    There is a bit space between the cube and the map, so it has a skybox-box around it! >:O from outside you also see missing texture, strange brushwork and one blue texture which is only used at one face there and no where else in the map.
    Who ever made this is clearly new to hammer.

6. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    You forgot the fact that it has no func_detail what so ever.

7. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    Valve puts a heck of a lot more detailing effort into their test maps than I do.

8. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    Im guessing that at some point you will see a miniature version in one of their maps. So those faces in that map represent you asking what the hell they are looking at.

9. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    I'm pretty sure this map was added over a year ago with some big patch, but I can't remember the name of the update.

10. takabuschik

aa takabuschik

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah I thought I'm the only one who got cp_cloak and background01 (or something similar) added to the maps folder after steampipe...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah that's when this map was added, after SteamPipe. So quite some time ago. And background01 is the loading screen on boot up I think.

12. takabuschik

aa takabuschik

Positive Ratings:
    It's some crappy dustbowl 3,2 (the rocket), with 3 sentries (lvl 1, 2, 3) and some really strange stuff. It's broken gameplay-wise.

13. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    That's obviously a plain old menu background map. Valve used those before switching to static images and videos.

14. JaysonOFFICAL

JaysonOFFICAL L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I once found a secret map, that I cant find again. It basically had all the class models in differents sizes, and a big error somewhere.

15. radarhead

aa radarhead Level 20 "Mapper"

Positive Ratings:
    That would be... cp_cloak, still.

16. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    You registered just to necro this thread and say that?

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  17. MoonFox

MoonFox L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    >.> <.< you do realize the skybox texture is the spy's cloak texture, and everything is off alignment.