The Love & War Update, Day 2

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
The BASE Jumper of course will influence how maps are designed quite a bit. Higher skyboxes people

I don't think skyboxes need to get higher, as modern maps tend to be pretty generous already to the point that anyone hitting the top of the map is probably going to crater when they hit the ground.

The bigger issue is skybox barriers that people use for optimization. Best example I can think of is the invisible wall above the bridge on thundermountain stage 1. Maps are going to need to design for horizontal travel in the sky to prevent players from slamming into invisible geometry.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Sounds and voice lines for taunts.
uncompressed audio lol

Granted, I get why they didn't use MP3 for voice clips; there's an initial buffer time to decompress them that could cause an unwanted delay. But I remember reading recently that Vorbis has an especially short buffer time compared to other compressed formats. Maybe Valve (and other devs... looking at you, Wolfenstein: The New Order with your 50GB download) ought to look into that.

Apr 14, 2013
Look carefully at the day 2 update (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrrk--PmnyA&list=UU5BTcArAnit9p5W7etFsPsA).
Apart from the new taunts, hats and weapons I noticed the picture on the wall (not the teaser, mannco advertisement one, but the blueprint behind the pyro)
It's really hard to see on the movie so here's the blueprint after some editing, so it will be clearer what I'm talking about.
blueprint_zpsa3a43cb5.png

It's not an official overlay, No matter what it is!

Now, here's the teaser billboard
teaser_billboard.jpg

It has a blueprint as well (a different one).
They both have similar blueprints, and it seems like in both cases they're somewhat related to the engineer.
WE ARE GOING TO GET A COMPLETELY NEW PDA!

Nov 2, 2010
Miniature dispenser perhaps? I thought the blueprints on the noticeboard looked like space rocket parts. I'd wager it relates to the Moonbase update.