The Cursed Lightbulb

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Stormcaller3801, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Stormcaller3801

Stormcaller3801 L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm attempting to get lighting squared away, but I think Hammer might be taking 'squared away' a bit too literally:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a light, a spot light, and an env_sprite there. I eliminated shadows on the prop_static bulb (Disable Shadows yes, but that's all I've altered) and I've got the lights themselves working fine- but the bulb itself doesn't seem interested in lighting up. I added the env_sprite in there to try and fix that, but as you can see, that's just... well, it went black and squarish.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Set Render Mode to World Space Glow ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    You should also use an omni light instead of spot light for a bare bulb, will look much more realistic. (just a regular light entity)

4. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    No a spot light is the way to go. An omni light will get a nasty bright splotch around the bulb like the image he posted.

5. Stormcaller3801

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

That worked! Thank you very much. I think all I need to do now is make the glow bigger.

6. Sgt Frag

Positive Ratings:
    Not if you do it right. A spot only shines down at a fairly narrow angle, unless you use another to point back up. That would be silly.

(Valve uses omni BTW)

7. Dr. Spud

Positive Ratings:
    They use either method, depending on the map.

8. Sgt Frag

Positive Ratings:
    So it IS OK to use an omni.

What was your point then?

9. ChickenLover

ChickenLover L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    But usually only spot. In fact, they almost exclusively use spot for light sources. Really, the only time I consistently see them use omni is to add extra light to a not so well lit area that doesn't have a light source.

10. Stormcaller3801

Positive Ratings:
    Actually guys, I'm using both. I've got a spotlight in the bulb itself, pointing downwards, with the light below it. I might end up adding a second light centered on the bulb at a lower intensity, just because I do want that glow on the ceiling. The bulb's close enough that it probably ought to be reflecting strongly off that surface. But I don't know how much this all affects the size of the map for purposes of compiling and loading.

Rather amazed how strong the shadows are though. I'd have expected the light to have faded them more. Maybe once I get the other five lit up the room will respond better.

11. ChickenLover

ChickenLover L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Check if your light bounces are getting calculated in your compile log. If they are not, that can make things overly dark.

12. Vigilante212

Vigilante212 L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    extend your 100% falloff distance that should take care of the shadows.

13. Dr. Spud

Positive Ratings:
    Spot lights look better. And as chicken pointed out Valve rarely uses omni.

14. Stormcaller3801

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

Finally got the lights set up more or less how I want, though I'm debating that sprite effect. Might need to be shrunk some more.

But I found another error after playing with the lights- the shadows on dynamic props don't seem to change regardless of the lighting. Notice how the shadow from the cabinet and the door actually move towards the lightbulb. This doesn't seem to change regardless of what I do with the lights themselves; as best I can figure it's something to do with dynamic props.

15. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Shadows for dynamic stuff (prop_dynamic, prop_physics and whatnot of the non-static variety) all determine their shadows from the shadow_controller entity. So you have to have one of those set up to adjust those to what you want, but you won't be able to get 100% realistic shadows from dynamic props.

16. Dr. Spud

Positive Ratings:
    Try env_lightglow instead of env_sprite

17. Stormcaller3801

Positive Ratings:
    I ended up compromising. Sort of.

[​IMG]

I stuck with env_sprite, but I used the light_glow01.vmt to do it. Which seems to work out rather well.

18. Open Blade

Open Blade L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Are your skins set up right on those bulb models? It looks like they might be set to the skin which shows the bulb off. The bottom of the bulb looks lit but the top part which goes into the base looks off.

Personally, I don't like the sprite look at all.

I often will use an omni in addition to other light sources. Alot of hanging lamps using spot lights don't reflect well enough on ceilings and I will throw an omni about 16 units below the spot light to give additional upward glow onto the ceiling. But not for a ceiling as low as yours.